Keeping raws with the tiffs/jpegs

Is there a setting in Photoshop that will save my tiffs or jpegs next to the raw file? It seems like I found a way to do it once upon a time, but since going on the CC, it doesn't happen.

I think there was a way when the file names were the same.

Using Lightroom, I open from LR into PS. That's where I prefer to crop and keyword them. LR puts the word, "untitled" in front of the file number. I usually change that to the subject name. So I end up with a file that doesn't match the number only of the raw. My raw files are in a folder on my desktop, and I save my tiffs or jpegs back to that folder. Those products always end up grouped together below all the Raw files.

Is there a way to get around this so my saved finished product ends up next to the corresponding Raw? That way, I can quickly see which raws I have developed, and which I may decide to delete in the case of multiples? It is very time consuming to physically move them next to the Raw file.

Betty

Since I don't use LR, I suppose my suggestions might not be helpful, but I always save the jpgs with the same image name as the RAW with the subject after the number. Same with TIFF's or PSD's on the odd occasion I save with those.

Since I load in ACR, I delete many of my images from there as I go through them. If I have 10 or 15 of the same general subject, I'll probably delete 2/3rds of them. I do all my general ACR PP then put them all in PS. There I go back and forth between PS and ACR to fine tune the PP.

Can you not save the file in lightroom with the same img_XXXXX that it has in RAW?

Jill

In Lightroom - Use "Stacking" (control G). Select any files you wish to be aligned and "Stack" them. They'll automatically be kept together as one stack and it keeps it all tidy. Click on the lead image and the stack opens to expose all. You can also elect the order you wish to keep them. I keep RAW TIFF and Jpeg files as well as any "arty" or B+W conversions this way.

Hope this helps

Btw if in Lightroom you can right click the image and go to "Edit in" you can select PS. Work on the image and convert it from 16bit to 8bit. Click save and it will auto join the RAW file in LR as a TIFF.

Because you aren't renaming the files LR will do what you've found. Personally I use the filename-sequence preference in handling external editing (in preferences) so I get a sequence of TIFFs if I bring the file in and out of LR/CC. So I have the files next to each other but I have a number suffix on the TIFF (which is actually useful), certainly works for a file which is not renamed.

I don't know if it will work but try renaming (F2) your files but use select 'filename' in the menu, that way LR may think you've renamed and not exhibit the TIFFs as 'untitled'. I can't say it works since my preferences will mask the result.

Thanks for the answers, but you all are missing my talking points.

All I do in LR is develop the images, then open them into PS. I've never gotten a handle on the file management parts of LR. It was hard enough for me to figure out how to import them, lol.

I'm asking how, in Photoshop, after developing in LR but saving back into my original folder on my desktop, when I open that folder in Photoshop to keyword, I can have the raw and finished file together. I do remove unsuitable images in LR, but there are always a few extras I have that I study again when I open the folder in PS. There is where I make my last deletions. It is made harder to do that when I can't readily see the developed images next to the Raws. All I see is all the Raws clumped together at the top, and all the developed ones at the bottom. This causes me to laboriously grab each finished image and move it next to its Raw. Once I do that, then it is easy to see the ones I didn't develop, and make a decision whether to develop any more of the Raws and make my final deletions.

Unlike some of you, I only keep what I want to submit.

Your suggestions might work if I keyworded or cared what the finished product does in LR, but I don't. Once I develop in LR I'm done with LR. No file management, period. Once I keyword in PS, then upload, that folder gets saved to two desktop HDs which are then turned off, So LR can't find it anyway. I realize I am missing what LR does best, but I never got a handle on it. Even with a book and watching videos!! ;) I'm only just now trying to figure out how to use the adjustment brush!! I need someone standing over my shoulder as I do it. That's how I learn best. (Any offers?) ;)

It is in Photoshop where I need to figure out how to keep the files together. When I choose "edit in PS" in LR, ( yes, Reray I do that) do I need to change the file name when it opens in PS, getting rid of the prefix "unnamed?"

Gosh, I'm envious of other people's tech ability.

Betty, are you saying that the files in a folder, when opened in PS, are not in alphabetical order?. You mentioned before that the files (TIFFS ex LR) were being called 'untitled-imagenumber' which would mean they would be at the bottom of a folder.

PS displays them alphabetically within a folder by default (not sure there is another option within PS), raws will only be next to TIFFs if they are in alphabetical order. So you need the name generated in LR to reflect that, hence my earlier post. If the files are named alphabetically but are not displaying as such in a PS folder, that's completely different.

Betty, why do you not keyword your file before you save it?

Again, I don't use Lightroom. I do all my file management through windows on my various hard drives. 

After doing any PP in ACR, I throw all the images into PS. I rarely use any of the Photoshop tools except Content Aware and the Healing Brushes. Sometimes Curves. Although I can do curves in ACR. (This is for image sites. If getting artistic of course, I use a lot more of the PS tools.)

Once my image is finished I then keyword it.  I save to jpg, just adding the description of the image to the image number. I don't actually keep my RAWS and jpgs together once I am finished uploading to Alamy or wherever. I have a hard drive or two where I keep all my jpgs in categories just like they would be on a photo site.

My RAWS I keep together under date and general subject. If for some reason I want the RAW file from a jpg, I simply search the RAWS for the image number and voila, there it is. I rarely go back to my RAWS unless I am working on the artistic end, which lately I have little time for. Did when Alamy changed their minimum to 17mb as I knew I had a few that if downsized to that would probably pass QC.

Jill

Again, I don't use Lightroom. I do all my file management through windows on my various hard drives.

After doing any PP in ACR, I throw all the images into PS. I rarely use any of the Photoshop tools except Content Aware and the Healing Brushes. Sometimes Curves. Although I can do curves in ACR. (This is for image sites. If getting artistic of course, I use a lot more of the PS tools.)

Once my image is finished I then keyword it. I save to jpg, just adding the description of the image to the image number. I don't actually keep my RAWS and jpgs together once I am finished uploading to Alamy or wherever. I have a hard drive or two where I keep all my jpgs in categories just like they would be on a photo

My RAWS I keep together under date and general subject. If for some reason I want the RAW file from a jpg, I simply search the RAWS for the image number and voila, there it is. I rarely go back to my RAWS unless I am working on the artistic end, which lately I have little time for. Did when Alamy changed their minimum to 17mb as I knew I had a few that if downsized to that would probably pass QC.

Jill

Jill, after saving to my folder, I often keyword 2 or 3 like images with the same keywords by highlighting them, and then tweak each one that may need a different keyword or two. All in Bridge. (Portrait, landscape, closeup) It saves me a great deal of time. I don't like having to do each one individually if I can get out of it. Sometimes I save a Raw that I don't develop in case I want to use it for FAA. So I usually have those in The same folder belonging to that shoot. I personally prefer having my finished work In the same folder as the Raws. Once I've completed all my work and keywording, I put the upload jpegs in an Alamy folder, save another JPEG back with the Raws, and delete the tiffs.

One thing I know, lol, there are as many different workflows here as their are contributors! We all do it the way it floats our boats. And once that workflow has been used for years, and if it works well, it's hard to change. But I will change the file name if it puts the JPEG next to the Raw, lol.

Edited to add...Jill, if you ever used the Upright tool in LR, you would fall in love. If you never have buildings, fences or trees in your shots, no big deal. I think the Upright tool is the greatest invention since..you guessed it..sliced bread. Wow, it performs ten times better than trying to do it in PS, and does it in a second. Talk about a time-saver.

Betty

Once my image is finished I then keyword it. I save to jpg, just adding the description of the image to the image number. I don't actually keep my RAWS and jpgs together once I am finished uploading to Alamy or wherever. I have a hard drive or two where I keep all my jpgs in categories just like they would be on a photo

Jill

Jill, after saving to my folder, I often keyword 2 or 3 like images with the same keywords by highlighting them, and then tweak each one that may need a different keyword or two. All in Bridge. (Portrait, landscape, closeup) It saves me a great deal of time. I don't like having to do each one individually if I can get out of it. Sometimes I save a Raw that I don't develop in case I want to use it for FAA. So I usually have those in The same folder belonging to that shoot. I personally prefer having my finished work In the same folder as the Raws. Once I've completed all my work and keywording, I put the upload jpegs in an Alamy folder, save another JPEG back with the Raws, and delete the tiffs.

One thing I know, lol, there are as many different workflows here as their are contributors! We all do it the way it floats our boats. And once that workflow has been used for years, and if it works well, it's hard to change. But I will change the file name if it puts the JPEG next to the Raw, lol.

Edited to add...Jill, if you ever used the Upright tool in LR, you would fall in love. If you never have buildings, fences or trees in your shots, no big deal. I think the Upright tool is the greatest invention since..you guessed it..sliced bread. Wow, it performs ten times better than trying to do it in PS, and does it in a second. Talk about a time-saver.

Betty

When I have similar images, I save the IPTC data as a template in Bridge, so anytime I have a similar image (say dog shows as I go to a lot of those), I can call up the template for dog shows and it puts all the related keywords in for me. Never have to retype them. Then add any specific keywords for that image.

ACR has a fab upright tool as well. It really is the bee all and end all for me. Take a lot for me to change that one. Being able to pop an image back and forth from ACR and PS is also wonderful.

Jill

Right Betty, if you're using Bridge, navigate to your folder, right-click on an image in the filmstrip and in the context menu that pops up, scroll down to "Sort" and select "Capture Time".

Russell, you are brilliant. Job done. Can't believe it was so easy. A greenie for you and everyone else who imparted wisdom.

Jill

Betty

When I have similar images, I save the IPTC data as a template in Bridge, so anytime I have a similar image (say dog shows as I go to a lot of those), I can call up the template for dog shows and it puts all the related keywords in for me. Never have to retype them. Then add any specific keywords for that image.

ACR has a fab upright tool as well. It really is the bee all and end all for me. Take a lot for me to change that one. Being able to pop an image back and forth from ACR and PS is also wonderful.

Jill

Jill, I do have templates. In fact, I may have been the one to put you onto templates...I know I did one of the ladies here. Works a treat for my Robins, house finches, flora. I've used templates for specific subjects for years.

No way am I going to make a template for Subway sandwich shop, or other buildings, or any other one-time subjects. Much easier to highlight the group and do it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I have so many templates now that it is hard to sort through them!

Jill, I do have templates. In fact, I may have been the one to put you onto templates...I know I did one of the ladies here. Works a treat for my Robins, house finches, flora. I've used templates for specific subjects for years.

No way am I going to make a template for Subway sandwich shop, or other buildings, or any other one-time subjects. Much easier to highlight the group and do it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I have so many templates now that it is hard to sort through them!

I thought it was you that tuned me into them.  I actually had a bunch of shots of Subway sandwich shop, Just copy and pasted the keywwords from one to the other.

It is amazing how those templates can mount up. 

Jill

Right Betty, if you're using Bridge, navigate to your folder, right-click on an image in the filmstrip and in the context menu that pops up, scroll down to "Sort" and select "Capture Time".

Russell, you are brilliant. Job done. Can't believe it was so easy. A greenie for you and everyone else who imparted wisdom.

Thanks Betty. Glad you got it, erm, sorted.

Bridge is the place I also go to. One of my favourite tools is labelling. You can go to the left hand side and filter your images. For example by file type. Once you have selected all the JPEGs, you can attach a label to them. Renaming files is the last thing I do before I submit them to agencies. I'm so comfortable with using Bridge and that's why I don't get my head around LR.

Bridge is the place I also go to. One of my favourite tools is labelling. You can go to the left hand side and filter your images. For example by file type. Once you have selected all the JPEGs, you can attach a label to them. Renaming files is the last thing I do before I submit them to agencies. I'm so comfortable with using Bridge and that's why I don't get my head around LR.

I agree. I used PS and Bridge for years and got comfortable with it. I've only forayed into LR in the past year, and don't begin to understand a lot of it. There are parts of LR that I am comfortable with, so I usually run my images through there first. But there are many parts to PS/Bridge that I will always continue to use. I don't see a lot of upside to trying to figure out how to do in LR when I have it down pat in PS/Bridge.

That said, I look at LR as a challenge, so I am exploring the parts I think could be helpful to my own workflow.

Archived