How do I edit keywords / title / description after the image is "live"?

Hello, fellow contributors!  

I am brand new to the forum, and also brand new to Alamy.......I am so glad to be part of such a wonderful stock agency!

I have a problem with one of my very first images:  

I don't do keywords, descriptions, or titles all at one sitting.  This stuff requires a great amount of focus and concentration for me, and after a few minutes I need to pull away from it and let my head clear for a while......then I'll come back to it and do a little more, then step away again....and so on and so on and so on. 

So, what happens is that I might have the "manage images" page open for a couple of days, with one of the images partly done and partly undone.  Now, the problem with this is that sometimes my computer or internet connection "spaces out" - it gets frozen up and I have to refresh Safari or restart my computer.   When this happens, what happens to the "manage images" page is that it gets submitted - whether I was finished keywording or not.  It is the same as if I had clicked on the "submit" button.  I know that this should not happen, but it does.

So I now have an image "for sale" on Alamy that is only partially titled, partially keyworded, and partially described.  So I need to go open up that image again on the "manage images" page.  Problem is, when I go to "manage images", that image is not there.  In fact, the only image there is the one that I have not even started to keyword yet.  

So, how do I get this image back into a window that allows me to add to the keywords, title, and description?  

I contribute to another agency, and doing this stuff is no trouble whatsoever.  At any time I can go into any of my images and change the keywords around, change the title, etc.  I would hope that this is also possible here at Alamy.  The keywords, title, and description that are associated to an image should always be able to be changed by the contributor at any time, right?

If this is not the case, and for some reason Alamy does not allow the contributor to change these things at will, then I would like to completely remove the image from Alamy, and re-submit it as a new image, and start all over again.  How do I do this?  

Please let me know how to do these things - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

Also, if you see your image on sale from the regular search you can zoom on it and then at the bottom (after Digitally Altered) you will see a link to "Edit Image". That opens a page where you can do whatever you want before saving the changes.

Paulette

Tom.

If you are a slow keyworder with a bad internet connection, do them all in notepad over time, then paste them into the images when you are connected.

Better still do them in your favoured library, processing software before upload. Then it is just a cut and paste from Comprehensive keywords - group them in keywords (unless you use LR which sorts them alphabetically for its own reasons). I use PhotoMechanic so they stay as I enter them.

That way they are keyworded on your local machine should you need to search them or upload them elsewhere.

I do the same as Martin. I do my keywording in Photoshop first then when I upload all that is done for me already. Just some cut and paste and away you go. 

And in Photoshop (don't know about Photo Mechanic) you can save templates for common words for subjects you shoot often. I have one template called basic that fills in the basic background info on each photo such as owner (me) and copyright info.

Jill

PhotoMechanic was originally aimed at news and sports photographers so it is very powerful and includes its own FTP client. So you can build structured keywords, controlled vocabularies, synonyms and a lot of pre-definition of pulldown lists for fields. Also a powerful tool which I have used when shooting sport is code replacement. I have used it for powerboat and motorcycle racing amongst others - predefine the replacement codes (I used class/race no) and the description to replace it. Enter the short code in a field like Caption or headline and get rider/driver, team, class, bike/boat type etc dropped straight in. All prepared in advance to speed up captioning and submission from the event. Reduces errors due to time pressures.

Maybe PM would be a good purchase. I don't do tiffs, just edit all my RAWs in ACR (going back and forth between PS and ACR if I want to do more post-processing, add the "file info" then save as a jpg.

Don't want to have to run two separate programs for the same photos. Does PM have a plug-in for PS?

(Boy the photo world sure is getting a lot of acronyms these days!)

Jill

I haven't used it but in PM you can set a default editor, and or editor by file type. So you should be able to use them together but how integrated I don't know. For news I am usually working straight from an ooc jpeg; all I might do is crop or rotate.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the following steps:

1. Go to My Alamy
  2. Click on Manage your Images
  3. Click on top of page on second tab: "Images not ready" (or might read something different according whether or not you still have to keyword images)
  4. In the drop-down menu, click on Images on sale or Images on sale, more details required
  5. Double-click on the image where you want to add keywords

or

1. Go to My Alamy
  2. Click on Manage your Images
  3. Use the Search button

Cheers,

Philippe

Thank you all for your replies and helpfulness.

Thank you, Philille.  What you said to do I followed step-by-step, and it worked great!

As for keywording, I really need to do it here in Alamy, as I do not have photo software (other than iPhoto).  And my computer is really slow, and when I have tried to add powerful photo editing programs, it bogs everything down and the computer just seizes up.  So, I'd better stick with just using iPhoto until I can get a new computer.  

ANOTHER QUESTION:

When writing keywords, what do I put between each keyword?  a comma?  a space?  a space and a comma?  

Also, if there are two words that I want to be recognized as being "together", such as "song bird", then how do I ensure that they will be recognized as such by the search engine, and that it will not see "song" and "bird" as two separate words?  

Have a look at this page: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/annotation-options.asp

Hope this helps

Michael

Have a look at this page: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/annotation-options.asp

Hope this helps

Michael

That did help!  

Thank you, Michael

Ok, another issue I am having; quite the opposite of the first.

I have an image that has ben all prepped - keywords done, description done, etc - everything finished.  Alamy even says that the image is "ready".  But I don't know how to submit it, now that it is all ready to go.  I have searched the page, high and low, for a button to click on that says, "submit image".  Yet I can find no such thing.  maybe I am just not looking in the right place.  Maybe the "submit" button is hidden in some drop-down menu somewhere (oh, how I hate drop-down menus!)

Anyway, could someone help me figure out how to submit the image, now that it is ready? 

Thank you so much!

Sit back and wait until the next day to look for it. Ready images appear automatically when there is an update of the site. Just looked at your three and love them. Welcome to Alamy.

Paulette

P.S. I took a quick look at your keywords and noticed you say "room for copy". I think the usual term is copy space or copyspace.

Sit back and wait until the next day to look for it. Ready images appear automatically when there is an update of the site. Just looked at your three and love them. Welcome to Alamy.

Paulette

P.S. I took a quick look at your keywords and noticed you say "room for copy". I think the usual term is copy space or copyspace.

Thank you for your kind words, Paulette - they are appreciated.

Also, thanks for the suggestion about the better keyword to use.  I will implement this in the future.  

I did not realize that the site would have daily updates - I guess I assumed that updates would be continuous, and happen whenever someone clicked on a "submit" button.  So, I will sit back and wait, as you suggest.

There is one apparent glitch, though:  on my "My Alamy" page, it says:

1 images not on sale - please keyword

Yet, when I click on that, another page comes up in a new (big) window, it says:

You have no "Not Ready" images. Please choose a different category from above.

So, one page says I have one image that needs keywording, then another page says that I don't have any images that still need to be keyworded.  This really looks like a contradiction to me.  Are such contradictions normal here on Alamy?  Do I just have to get used to some inconsistencies?  

Archived