Flash-Camera Mismatch?

Edo,

I just went back to Vivitar 285's in manual and using a flash meter.

worked for me in 1989 as well as in 2014 and it is a lot easier with

digital then it was with film.

You can buy 285's all day for less than $30.00 per unit.

PC connection, slave any way you want to sync.

Chuck

I have a 285 and a flash meter, too, Chuck  :)

Your description of what you show up with for a corporate portrait (?) reminds me of Andy Rooney's telling of being photographed by Eddie Adams. Odd when you consider Adams won a Pulitzer for that quick B&W snap of that VC being shot in the head in Saigon in '68. 

Yes, that is one of the possibilities. I might keep the D90 and the macro. I couldn't get much for the D90 now anyway. 

I was about to open a new post about tabletop, but this one seems to have morphed into that now. And since I'm the OP I can't offend myself, right? I'm also thinking that continuous lighting might be better than a speedlight. One light bounced off the ceiling and some reflectors should be enough. Any suggestions? Yes, I'll be on a tripod. 

If I didn't have the studio flash I would try anglepoise lamps with ordinary tungsten bulbs, 100W miht be enough for a closeup but not for bouncing off the ceiling. Diffuse it with some tracing paper.

But if I had flash I'd use it- you soon run out of light bouncing and stopping down.

If you have enough window light, some reflector fill, but it's mid-December so you probably haven't.

Better to exclude the daylight altogether.

Just checked Neewer TT560 flash on Amazon UK, price £30.45.

It says you need the hot shoe adapter to make it work on Sony cameras.

I think the RX10 has the same hot shoe as the NEX6.  If so, there is an adapter from Delamax priced at £9.54

Peter, the RX10 Does not appears to have the same hot shoe as other Sony cameras, and these adapters will not fit to give a standard hot shoe result.

ADP-MAA
Hot shoe adapter, for a (alpha) SLT-A58, A99; Cyber-shot DSC-HX50, RX1, RX1R; Handycam NEX-VG30; a NEX 6, 6L, 6Y.

ADP-AMA
Hot shoe adapter, for a (alpha) SLT-A35, A37, A55, A57, A65, A77; Handycam NEX-VG10, VG20; a NEX 7, 7K

Neither fit the RX10.

Just checked Neewer TT560 flash on Amazon UK, price £30.45.

It says you need the hot shoe adapter to make it work on Sony cameras.

I think the RX10 has the same hot shoe as the NEX6.  If so, there is an adapter from Delamax priced at £9.54

Peter, the RX10 Does not appears to have the same hot shoe as other Sony cameras, and these adapters will not fit to give a standard hot shoe result.

ADP-MAA
Hot shoe adapter, for a (alpha) SLT-A58, A99; Cyber-shot DSC-HX50, RX1, RX1R; Handycam NEX-VG30; a NEX 6, 6L, 6Y.

ADP-AMA
Hot shoe adapter, for a (alpha) SLT-A35, A37, A55, A57, A65, A77; Handycam NEX-VG10, VG20; a NEX 7, 7K

Neither fit the RX10.

Yes, I was rather dismayed to see the numbers of adaptors available for Sony hotshoes.   I could not find anything definitive about which of the many hot shoes the RX10 has.  If I seriously needed a flash for the RX10, I would probably get a Sony one.

I do not use flash much, and for indoors I have it covered by the Olympus kit.

Archived