Another question regarding property and Model releases

I have numerous images of people in various activities, Kayaking, riding, cycling and hiking etc., if the shots do not show their faces can these be classed as Royalty free without releases?

The other sites I subscribe to have differing opinions on this, I just wonder what Alamy's stance is on this?

Basically, Alamy takes a hardline, absolute position on releases. As long as any part, even a small part, of a person is seen in an image, you need a release to consider the image RF at Alamy. (Gee, Alex said that with so many less words.) So in answering the question about releases in Attributes say no, you don't have a release, and RM will automatically be selected for you. In other words, Alamy will make the image available for editorial use only. 

Your image of the compass in the hand and the one of the three people from the back need to be changed to RM. Sorry.

Good luck and welcome aboard. 

Basically, Alamy takes a hardline, absolute position on releases. As long as any part, even a small part, of a person is seen in an image, you need a release to consider the image RF at Alamy. (Gee, Alex said that with so many less words.) So in answering the question about releases in Attributes say no, you don't have a release, and RM will automatically be selected for you. In other words, Alamy will make the image available for editorial use only.

Your image of the compass in the hand and the one of the three people from the back need to be changed to RM. Sorry.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

So, I think, do your three images taken in an English back garden if you do not have property releases for them. If its your garden, sign a property release and you can keep them as RF. If its the garden of someone you know get them to sign one, Otherwise they should be RM also.

Buildings or property which play a small part in an image like buildings in a skyline view of a village or town taken from a distance don't need a PR, but property which is quite obviously playing a major part in the image do.

Kumar Sriskandan

I thank you all for the comprehensive reply, it's much clearer now!

At least the hand holding the compass is my wife's, so shouldn't be too hard to get a release!

Kind regards

Chris

This desire to go down the Royalty Free route again. I made a modest selection and offered them as RF a couple of years ago. There have been a few sales, but not a lot. It seems a somewhat spent business model here. Perhaps different in the (hated) micro-stock arena

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting discussion, and I've had some similar questions come up.   In particular, I have a photo of a lake in the distance and there is a speck in the lake which is a teeny tiny boat, either a kayak or canoe, it's too small to tell.  If I zoom in quite close I can see that (obviously) there's a person in the boat, but cannot tell any features other than they appear to be wearing something white light coloured.  From your discussion above, I will need to indicate there is one person in the image and that there is no model release and it can only be RM.  Is that correct?  

Also, would a closeup of a flower need a property release if no other features of the property were visible?

This is a very interesting discussion, and I've had some similar questions come up.   In particular, I have a photo of a lake in the distance and there is a speck in the lake which is a teeny tiny boat, either a kayak or canoe, it's too small to tell.  If I zoom in quite close I can see that (obviously) there's a person in the boat, but cannot tell any features other than they appear to be wearing something white light coloured.  From your discussion above, I will need to indicate there is one person in the image and that there is no model release and it can only be RM.  Is that correct?  

Also, would a closeup of a flower need a property release if no other features of the property were visible?

If a person is visible - however small in the picture area - you need to tick 'one person', and say 'no MR'. Or you could clone the boat out of the pic altogether. No release needed for close-up of flower (though if you want a second opinion, there are a few shrinking violets lurking on the forum)...

Archived