Fuji cameras, my flash solution - a review.

Hi Mark and thanks for a very useful post.

I was reading about the Cactus system a few days ago and thought they may be of use and it is now very good to have the excellent review of a professional photographer.

Allan

Very nice setup. I am struggling to find an inexpensive flash solution for my RX10, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cactus for manual flash, you can use most old flashguns that you may have laying about.

Hi Allan

Hi Mark and thanks for a very useful post.

I was reading about the Cactus system a few days ago and thought they may be of use and it is now very good to have the excellent review of a professional photographer.

Even better if you have the Nissin i40 You can sit it on a V6, put the V6 on the camera and have ETTL pass through for the Nissin and still have manual control of the off camera flash, I have not tested the passthrough as I

do not have a Nissin (yet), this offers more amazing flexibility

Very nice setup. I am struggling to find an inexpensive flash solution for my RX10, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cactus for manual flash, you can use most old flashguns that you may have laying about.

Thanks Mark, but the RX10 hotshoe is not compatible and I can't even find an adapter to use my existing non-Sony flashes or wireless trigger with the camera.

The Cactus system looks great, particularly the learning mode, meaning I could dig out my even older flashes from the late 70's!

Not trying to hijack your thread, sorry.

Mick, I just read this at DPreview

"I understand from Cactus that a Sony version of the V6 is currently in development, using their new multi interface shoe. Hope it'll be released soon!!"

You could ask Ray at gadget infinity he would know
E-mail: raychan@harvest-one.com

Hi all

Since switching to Fuji from Canon I have struggled to find a flash solution, until now.

Here is what works for me, a review

http://markbaigent.co.uk/cms/canon-cactus-flash-v6-tranceivers/

ATB

Mark

It's always good to see alternatives. How much was the setup compared to Yongnuo 560III (£48 each) with the Transmitter/Receiver Yongnuo – yn560tx (£25 each)?

I'm just about to add a third Yongnuo 560III, I think I can have up to 6 groups controlled from the Yongnuo – yn560tx

Hi Duncan

Cost, tranceivers £49, RF60 £110 (inc vat which I get back)

I looked at the Yongnuo but it seemed that the triggers do not have remote power adjustment for my Canon speedlites. (I could be wrong)

I also like the remote control of the RF60 zoom.

ATB

Mark

Hi Duncan

I looked at the Yongnuo but it seemed that the triggers do not have remote power adjustment for my Canon speedlites. (I could be wrong)

ATB

Mark

Ahh.... they do now via the Yongnuo – yn560tx. This is a relatively new piece of kit. You can control the power output of each flash (by group) as well as all the other settings such as zoom etc. Nice backlit display on it as well Link

I have a set of normal triggers that I still use on one other flash but I also use one as a remote trigger for the camera now as well. The flashes offer an external power supply option as well I think. I would assume most of these systems will play nicely together as they are all manual so you should be able to mix and match to a degree, although I cannot confirm that.

Hi Duncan

ATB

Mark

Ahh.... they do now via the Yongnuo – yn560tx. This is a relatively new piece of kit. You can control the power output of each flash (by group) as well as all the other settings such as zoom etc. Nice backlit display on it as well Link

I have a set of normal triggers that I still use on one other flash but I also use one as a remote trigger for the camera now as well. The flashes offer an external power supply option as well I think. I would assume most of these systems will play nicely together as they are all manual so you should be able to mix and match to a degree, although I cannot confirm that.

Thanks Duncan, I bought (cheap) Yongnuo 460's and a simple wireless trigger set ages ago to supplement my Canon 430 speedlight, but a combination of Yongnuo 560 tx and a couple of their 560III speedlights would be much better. That would be my Canon setup sorted out, now I have to find a way to use the 560TX on my Sony RX10.

This is very good news indeed.  I'm currently using Paul Buff transceivers on my Nikon SB800's and SB900 for off camera flash with my Fuji's.  It works, but man, it means a lot of trips to the flash guns for adjustments.  I miss the Nikon CLS function, but not the bulk of the camera gear.

I always just used my generic Canon flash cord(s) and generic Yongnuo flashes. I also have a few sets of Yongnuo  remotes I bought at least 7 years ago for $25 or so that have worked on every single camera that I have owned.And that has been A LOT with every brand including Fuji,Nikon,Oly,Canon,Panasonic.

I finally got my Yongnuo flash unit to work on my Sony A7 and the Sony A6000 I no longer own.

The Sony flash was pretty nice though. I returned it though. I am not 1000% sure yet if I am staying with Sony full frame.Not so much the camera is the issue but native dedicated FE mount lenses.

L

Archived