Shutter count software for Canon

I have been going blind looking for a shutter counting program for Canon Dslrs,  it is a minefield trying to find one that works on a PC.

Anybody here with experience and willing to offer a link to software that will work.

Many thanks in advance to all.

Paul.

I have Magic lantern installed and in the debug screen it gives you the shutter count (shutter actuations and liveview actuations taken). 163,000 in the case of my 5D2. (55k via liveview).

This must be old video since the nightly builds have now got the shutter count scrolled down off initial menu.

No need for extra software. With Nikon you can check the EXIF Raw data under File Info in PhotoShop. I presume it works the same way for Canon.

<?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.3-c011 66.145661, 2012/02/06-14:56:27        ">
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
            xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/">
         <xmp:CreatorTool>Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)</xmp:CreatorTool>
         <xmp:ModifyDate>2014-11-08T21:38:33-05:00</xmp:ModifyDate>
         <xmp:CreateDate>2014-11-08T16:00:50</xmp:CreateDate>
         <xmp:Rating>3</xmp:Rating>
         <xmp:MetadataDate>2014-11-08T21:38:33-05:00</xmp:MetadataDate>
      </rdf:Description>
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
            xmlns:aux="http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/aux/">
         <aux:SerialNumber>3009094</aux:SerialNumber>
         <aux:LensInfo>200/10 350/10 28/10 28/10</aux:LensInfo>
         <aux:Lens>20.0-35.0 mm f/2.8</aux:Lens>
         <aux:LensID>47</aux:LensID>
         <aux:ImageNumber>2525</aux:ImageNumber>
         <aux:ApproximateFocusDistance>100/100</aux:ApproximateFocusDistance>
      </rdf:Description>

No need for extra software. With Nikon you can check the EXIF Raw data under File Info in PhotoShop. I presume it works the same way for Canon.

The reason why there is so much software for Canon shutter actuations is because they don't/didn't include it in the exif and indeed, third party software only works in a limited number of later Canons. The Magic Lantern software typifies how much extra capabilities Canons have but that are hidden by the manufacturer (raw video for one).

fotoDogue

No need for extra software. With Nikon you can check the EXIF Raw data under File Info in PhotoShop. I presume it works the same way for Cano

The same with PhotoMechanic,  unfortunately i was once told it's not accurate, something to do with images processed over a given time and not camera shutter count.

fotoDogue

No need for extra software. With Nikon you can check the EXIF Raw data under File Info in PhotoShop. I presume it works the same way for Cano

The same with PhotoMechanic,  unfortunately i was once told it's not accurate, something to do with images processed over a given time and not camera shutter count.

I thought PM was showing actuations on my 1Ds3 - until it suddenly started counting from zero again. I had probably done some sort of reset or whatever.

fotoDogue

I thought PM was showing actuations on my 1Ds3 - until it suddenly started counting from zero again. I had probably done some sort of reset or whatever.

Are you sure it wasn't just reflecting the frame number resetting after 10k actuations?

fotoDogue

Are you sure it wasn't just reflecting the frame number resetting after 10k actuations?

Might well be, that had crossed my mind. Once I realised it was not what I thought I ignored it!

fotoDogue

The samee with PhotoMechanic,  unfortunately i was once told it's not accurate, something to do with images processed over a given time and not camera shutter count.

Might well be, that had crossed my mind. Once I realised it was not what I thought I ignored it!

If you ignore it and for any reason gather up images from the first 10,000 and some from the second 10,000 that happen to have the same numbers, you'll get a prompt about replacing the first image. When I bought my first digital camera, I made that mistake because I didn't understand what was going on.

I now pay attention, and when I hit 10,000, I reset and change the leading letters for the file name.

Brand new camera would be BAL. After 10,000, I might use BET or whatever. Those are my name initials or short for Betty.

I have, in the past, gathered like images together in one folder. All my bluejay images together, etc. so theoretically, I might put a new bluejay image in the same folder as one from the first 10,000, with the two having the same file name. Won't work unless you change the 2nd one's name,. Much easier to do what I do.

fotoDogue

The samee with PhotoMechanic,  unfortunately i was once told it's not accurate, something to do with images processed over a given time and not camera shutter count.

If you ignore it and for any reason gather up images from the first 10,000 and some from the second 10,000 that happen to have the same numbers, you'll get a prompt about replacing the first image. When I bought my first digital camera, I made that mistake because I didn't understand what was going on.

I now pay attention, and when I hit 10,000, I reset and change the leading letters for the file name.

Brand new camera would be BAL. After 10,000, I might use BET or whatever. Those are my name initials or short for Betty.

I have, in the past, gathered like images together in one folder. All my bluejay images together, etc. so theoretically, I might put a new bluejay image in the same folder as one from the first 10,000, with the two having the same file name. Won't work unless you change the 2nd one's name,. Much easier to do what I do.

I only ignored the actuation count.

When I upload I immediately renumber my images with a date code and sequence number so I never run in to the filename issue. I use a different prefix on different cameras (but all my cameras use same date/time)  so they can't conflict. Even when I work with two or more cameras I upload everything into a date keyed job, event or location folder, sort by date/time captured and then do the renumber so merge the multiple sources into the right chronolgical order (matters with sport or news for example). The most I have ever shot in one day and event is about 1,200 pics - I was covering a large marathon so even then I had no chance of duplicate filenames due to it wrapping round. When covering sport I will have a different folder for each class, race or whatever even if they are on the same day.

The renumbering means I have a consistent filename over time and even when I change cameras. In fact if someone tells me the filename of one of my pictures I know exactly what day it was shot.

I use digital asset management to group like images together. In my film days I tried to physically group by category but it wouldn't cope with images that fell into multiple categories! I have been using a simple sequential scheme for 30+ years and going digital in 2000 made it easy to use software to index them using the keywords or whatever.

Archived