Changing to mirrorless camera

I am really missing my Fuji X-T1 and the 18-135mm lens even though I have my X-E1 and kit 18-55mm (glad I kept them as backup) with 55-200mm it as an entirely usable backup. Now I know I made the right decision as I have not thought about using my Canon in its place.

I dropped them while working at an author's (Ali Smith) event during the Nottingham Festival fo Words, I tripped on the stairs while changing position in a darkened auditorium. The insurance company have authorised repairs (£435/ $700) so hopefully they should be be back in a few days with a new 12 month warranty. I do think Fuji will have to think about setting up a professional phtographer scheme now so many people are switching; 3 weeks to get a camera repaired is really too long for a working phoptographer. Fortunately last week and to some extent this was always going to be a quieter period as I have so much post processing and promotion to do.

Sorry to here your problem. I have just returned my 10 - 24mm under warranty as it was showing signs of serious OOF on the righthand side of the image by as much as 20% of the width. Told it will take 15 - 21 days before I get it back.

Agree with the PPS just like Canons scheme, of which I was a member when I was shooting with their equipment.

Allan

Fujis don't bounce!

Its insured and these things happen, especially if you treat it as a working tool rather than a piece of jewelry (most bags are overpadded, shows my view ;) ). It was my reaction that interested me - I did not go for my Canons but used the original X-E1 instead. Probably time to sell the heavy stuff - it should raise enough to buy the new fast lenses and next year's superzoom. Maybe even the X-T2 eventually if I am shrewd.

There was no visible damage which was testament to the basic ruggedness, tI reckon he X-T1 is going to survive minor Knocks as well as any pro dslr. However after the drop the combination would not find focus, zoom was exceeding stiff. Camera still seemed to work with my other lenses but I got it checked as I did not want to find there was a problem further down the line - there was obviously some work needed probably on checking and ensuring proper registration of mount sensor etc.

Mine did. I only had it a couple of weeks and dropped it onto a tiled floor. Both camera and lens were fine.... unlike my nerves which were completely shattered!

Anyway, I ended up trading in my X-Pro1 & 14mm and got a 2nd T1 with the 10-24.... with two at least I'll have a second to cover if I drop it again :-)

Christian, the drop in IQ from FF to the Fuji is minimal although I'd prefer a few more pixels, 20-24mp would be ideal. I know it performs better than the 5dmkii I had but not as good as the mkiii. You are better dropping FF and using the Fuji's (or equivalent) for your main day to day stuff and a MF for the top end stuff. The weight saving, EVF with all the features etc are worth the slight drop in IQ, especially if you have a MF system (which I know you have).

With Fuji, the glass is excellent and if they get round to releasing a camera with the Organic Sensor they've been developing with Panasonic then there will be no need for Fuji FF anyway.

I know Duncan!  as close as it gets I use the digital M-series Leica a lot, 18MPs but superb optics, Fuji lenses are not far behind, I still have their giant 6x17 panoramic and that has one of the best lenses ever, truly top quality.

On serious stock and commissioned work though I still prefer the dslrs.

What's the secret then John?

I use the selective spot focusing a lot more than I used to, especially with the 55-210 lens. Also, I keep a careful eye on which focus points the camera is selecting when in multi-point AF mode. When I first started using the NEX cameras, I was too trusting of the technology. My manual-focusing skills never seemed to come back from the distant past, but I do use MF sometimes as well.

Maybe it's just me but I find old lenses designed for manual focus to be much easier to focus than modern glass switched to manual focus. I have tried manually focusing my AF Sigma 19mm, and I find that next to impossible. In contrast I have no difficulty with say the old Pentax 28mm. I find that the technology gets in the way, making assumptions that I don't want it to make about what I want to do next...

But there's good and bad technology, and a 10x EVF is one wonderful bit of kit, closely followed, but not matched, by contrast detection.

I too find manual focusing with modern AF lenses to be really awkward. I stupidly sold my manual focus lenses save one, a 45mm (circa 1979) which I sometimes use for macro shots with extension tubes. It definitely is easier to focus, but I don't find it a particularly useful focal length for general photography. Wish I hadn't sold my 28mm for a song. Perhaps I'll look around for another one.

I am really missing my Fuji X-T1 and the 18-135mm lens even though I have my X-E1 and kit 18-55mm (glad I kept them as backup) with 55-200mm it as an entirely usable backup. Now I know I made the right decision as I have not thought about using my Canon in its place.

I dropped them while working at an author's (Ali Smith) event during the Nottingham Festival fo Words, I tripped on the stairs while changing position in a darkened auditorium. The insurance company have authorised repairs (£435/ $700) so hopefully they should be be back in a few days with a new 12 month warranty. I do think Fuji will have to think about setting up a professional phtographer scheme now so many people are switching; 3 weeks to get a camera repaired is really too long for a working phoptographer. Fortunately last week and to some extent this was always going to be a quieter period as I have so much post processing and promotion to do.

Sorry to here your problem. I have just returned my 10 - 24mm under warranty as it was showing signs of serious OOF on the righthand side of the image by as much as 20% of the width. Told it will take 15 - 21 days before I get it back.

Agree with the PPS just like Canons scheme, of which I was a member when I was shooting with their equipment.

Allan

Fujis don't bounce!

Its insured and these things happen, especially if you treat it as a working tool rather than a piece of jewelry (most bags are overpadded, shows my view ;) ). It was my reaction that interested me - I did not go for my Canons but used the original X-E1 instead. Probably time to sell the heavy stuff - it should raise enough to buy the new fast lenses and next year's superzoom. Maybe even the X-T2 eventually if I am shrewd.

There was no visible damage which was testament to the basic ruggedness, tI reckon he X-T1 is going to survive minor Knocks as well as any pro dslr. However after the drop the combination would not find focus, zoom was exceeding stiff. Camera still seemed to work with my other lenses but I got it checked as I did not want to find there was a problem further down the line - there was obviously some work needed probably on checking and ensuring proper registration of mount sensor etc.

Mine did. I only had it a couple of weeks and dropped it onto a tiled floor. Both camera and lens were fine.... unlike my nerves which were completely shattered!

Anyway, I ended up trading in my X-Pro1 & 14mm and got a 2nd T1 with the 10-24.... with two at least I'll have a second to cover if I drop it again :-)

Christian, the drop in IQ from FF to the Fuji is minimal although I'd prefer a few more pixels, 20-24mp would be ideal. I know it performs better than the 5dmkii I had but not as good as the mkiii. You are better dropping FF and using the Fuji's (or equivalent) for your main day to day stuff and a MF for the top end stuff. The weight saving, EVF with all the features etc are worth the slight drop in IQ, especially if you have a MF system (which I know you have).

With Fuji, the glass is excellent and if they get round to releasing a camera with the Organic Sensor they've been developing with Panasonic then there will be no need for Fuji FF anyway.

I know Duncan!  as close as it gets I use the digital M-series Leica a lot, 18MPs but superb optics, Fuji lenses are not far behind, I still have their giant 6x17 panoramic and that has one of the best lenses ever, truly top quality.

I guess I would still be using a DSLR if I'd mainly been doing studio work but reducing backpack weight while maintaining IQ for when I was climbing etc started me down this track. I'd still love a Phaseone or Pentax NF camera though! I'd just put it in my wife's backpack ;-)

Allan

Fujis don't bounce!

I guess I would still be using a DSLR if I'd mainly been doing studio work but reducing backpack weight while maintaining IQ for when I was climbing etc started me down this track. I'd still love a Phaseone or Pentax NF camera though! I'd just put it in my wife's backpack ;-)

Hahaha!  thats it! stuffing it all in your wifes backpack. Funny but years back before digital I always got my wife to help out with tripods, studio-flash equipment, etc and the flash equipment was these big generators, no wonder she got long arms today.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I was using DSLR for many years and changed 2 years ago to mirrorless. I can tell you i don't regret my move. It ended up that i sold my DSLR after not using it for 1 year. The beginning times of mirrorless where little disappointing because they where very slow comparing to their larger mirror brothers but time has changed. After years of improving these cameras are as goods as fast like an DSLR. 

But this is only my part of the discussion. I know people what would never go back to DSLR after buying a mirrorless camera of today but i also know some that prefer DSLR since it fits better in their hands. It all a question of taste.

Mirco

In late 2013, I completely changed over to Fuji mirrorless.  I had used Nikon gear since 1967 so it was a big change.  I sold my D3, D4 and numerous lenses and went all in with Fuji.  I'm currently using the X-T1, X-E2 (same sensor and processor as the X-T1), along with a host of Fujinon lenses.

I can honestly say I don't regret the move now that I am shooting exclusively for stock.  The only downside, if you can call it that, is the lack of RAW conversion software is somewhat lacking.  In fact, I actually get better results just shooting jpeg.  (I know that is a debatable topic).

The pluses outweighed the minuses for me.  I realize my Fuji's are not on the same level as say the new Nikon D810, but, for what I do they are more than adequate, for less money and certainly less bulk and weight.  I'm getting images now with my X-E2 that I would have been chased away if using my D4.  

I'm fairly new here, (just starting to shoot stock exclusively), but I am cheered to see so many excellent photographers embracing mirrorless.  The technology is improving every year.  I can't wait to see what the new Fujifilm X-Pro2 will bring us.

Rick

In late 2013, I completely changed over to Fuji mirrorless.  I had used Nikon gear since 1967 so it was a big change.  I sold my D3, D4 and numerous lenses and went all in with Fuji.  I'm currently using the X-T1, X-E2 (same sensor and processor as the X-T1), along with a host of Fujinon lenses.

I can honestly say I don't regret the move now that I am shooting exclusively for stock.  The only downside, if you can call it that, is the lack of RAW conversion software is somewhat lacking.  In fact, I actually get better results just shooting jpeg.  (I know that is a debatable topic).

The pluses outweighed the minuses for me.  I realize my Fuji's are not on the same level as say the new Nikon D810, but, for what I do they are more than adequate, for less money and certainly less bulk and weight.  I'm getting images now with my X-E2 that I would have been chased away if using my D4.  

I'm fairly new here, (just starting to shoot stock exclusively), but I am cheered to see so many excellent photographers embracing mirrorless.  The technology is improving every year.  I can't wait to see what the new Fujifilm X-Pro2 will bring us.

Rick

Welcome Rick, a bit odd that despite your introduction all your shots so far on here (I know, it's early days) are taken pre mirrorless.

Rick

Welcome Rick, a bit odd that despite your introduction all your shots so far on here (I know, it's early days) are taken pre mirrorless.

Those images were uploaded in 2011 I think.  I'm waiting on QC for a couple taken with Fuji cameras.  I have many images that I shot with a D3 or D4 that I may submit as well, to get my portfolio going.  Like I said, just getting back into stock now.  I folded up my commercial business this year.

I have tried mirrorless with a Lumix but it wasn't there yet for me. As with the migration from film to digital I feel that the move is inevitable, only the timing is a variable in terms of needs.

I eagerly await the mirrorless offerings of Nikon and Canon which, IMO, are as inevitable as day follows night.

.dov

Linda, I've been wavering on the edge of buying the A7R. What brand is your 24-70mm lens? Also, if you shoot at iso 400 can you achieve reasonable handheld results? I'm not looking to replace my Canon but there are times when it's just too big to carry.

Archived