17mb now the min size

Some contribs downsize ALL their images to 24MB to avoid QC fail for softness, etc.

Should they now downsize even further to 17MB?

Has Alamy stated their buyers need no bigger than 17MB?

(this implies it, no...?)

No, no and ...(no).

I don't think that there are any implications. A lot of buyers don't need large files, so why not open the door to images shot with 6 MP cameras. This new min size doesn't mean that images "should" be downsized even further, but it does give us another option. Nothing wrong with that IMO. This move might also help Alamy stand out more from the crowd since a lot of agencies have set 10-12 MP minimums, thereby eliminating older, sell-able images.

I don't think that there are any implications. A lot of buyers don't need large files, so why not open the door to images shot with 6 MP cameras. This new min size doesn't mean that images "should" be downsized even further, but it does give us another option. Nothing wrong with that IMO. This move might also help Alamy stand out more from the crowd since a lot of agencies have set 10-12 MP minimums, thereby eliminating older, sell-able images.

And of course Alamy is so very short of images ;)

Seriously it means I can bring into full use my Canon 1D2 (8Mpx) as a back up to my 1Ds3 - I was going to do that for news anyway, Just widens my scope especially for sports and other long lens subjects (1D2 is APS-H so a 1.3 focal length factor and fast AF).

Archived