Keywording for Special Events

I'm not referring to one-off news events, like Obama addressing the United Nations. I'm thinking more of limited-time annual events like Carnival in Rio or New Orleans or the Trooping the Colour or the Feast of San Gennaro in Naples . . . and here on my street in Little Italy. 

Talking to my handler at PanAm before my first trip to South America, the question of me going to Rio during Carnival came up. The woman told me, "We don't have to sell Carnival to travelers. All the seat are full and all the hotel rooms are taken at that time. We need to get our customers to go during the rest of the year." 

So . . . I was just keywording some images I shot in the past week (San Gennaro ended last night -- it runs annually for 11 days), and I'm undecided if I should mention San Gennaro or just put in Little Italy and Mulberry Street.  :unsure:

I'm not referring to one-off news events, like Obama addressing the United Nations. I'm thinking more of limited-time annual events like Carnival in Rio or New Orleans or the Trooping the Colour or the Feast of San Gennaro in Naples . . . and here on my street in Little Italy. 

Talking to my handler at PanAm before my first trip to South America, the question of me going to Rio during Carnival came up. The woman told me, "We don't have to sell Carnival to travelers. All the seat are full and all the hotel rooms are taken at that time. We need to get our customers to go during the rest of the year." 

So . . . I was just keywording some images I shot in the past week (San Gennaro ended last night -- it runs annually for 11 days), and I'm undecided if I should mention San Gennaro or just put in Little Italy and Mulberry Street.  :unsure:

Ed old buddy . . . "san gennaro mulberry street" returns just 1 image (note the use of quotation marks) . . . san gennaro mulberry street sans quotation marks still only throws up 83 results. . . yours will be on the front page either way :-)

dd

Yes, I did that search, Dusty. That was one of the factors that got me to start this post. I also noticed that I only have a few that come up with San Gennaro, NYC. I have a fair number that show if you search Mulberry or Little Italy, New York City. Some subjects, like the statues, must include San Gennaro. The newest few will go on sale tomorrow. 

That's easy: check All of Alamy and do a search for San Gennaro (New York). No searches? Don't bother. Searches, but your images are on not on page one? Don't bother.

Do the same for Mulberry Street.

The same for Little Italy.

If there's a don't bother for all keywords, look for other subjects.

As you seem to rule the page for Mulberry Street, I would put anything in that would get it to the front if someone searches for mulberry street festival. (You now have only 1)

Oh just one more thing: yours must be as good as or better than the rest. Otherwise: Don't bother. ;-)

wim

Yes, I did that search, Dusty. That was one of the factors that got me to start this post. I also noticed that I only have a few that come up with San Gennaro, NYC. I have a fair number that show if you search Mulberry or Little Italy, New York City. Some subjects, like the statues, must include San Gennaro. The newest few will go on sale tomorrow. 

:) I didn't look closely . . . the one result for "san gennaro mulberry street" is of course, yours :-) I think your strategy is the correct one, especially with so few (relatively) for your specific, and thoroughly delightful, street.

And I never let an absence of past searches stop me from submitting particular subjects . . . most recent example, never ever noticed a search that would have thrown up any of my pics of "Bassendean" . . . until Rolf Harris got sprung--then suddenly, much interest, and a sale here and two elsewhere. In the same way that's it not an exact science picking which photos are going to sell, so it is an inexact science predicting tomorrow's front page by looking at yesterdays . . . IMO of course.

dd

And I never let an absence of past searches stop me from submitting particular subjects . . . most recent example, never ever noticed a search that would have thrown up any of my pics of "Bassendean" . . . until Rolf Harris got sprung--then suddenly, much interest

Of course, the smart photographer, as soon as this particular can of worms was opened, would already have been around photographing every location associated with any 70s entertainer they could think of :)

No, I'm not smart...

Alan

Archived