QC for post-News any different than QC for stock

Once images have left the news feed and are then placed in the standard QC queue, is a fail as stringent as a fail for a standard stock image?

I uploaded my first news photos last night. I understand they stay in news for 3 days and are then sent on to the stock queue for QC. One of my news images was what I would call debatable on the SoLD problem, but a good shot so I included it. 

I have a bunch of stock to upload, but should I wait until the news images have traveled through the system first in case one of the news images doesn't make it through?

Jill

If your images are on the feed, then they have passed QC.  You should have received a notification that this happened.

I uploaded some news images yesterday - I got my notification at 11pm Mountain Time.  You just need to keyword fill out all the fields appropriately so they become a part of the main collection in 3 days (if you submitted on Saturday then probably Tuesday).

Thanks Ed. I thought from previous posts on the forum that news were given quick qc then went into the regular qc queue before entering the main collection. I will upload my other stuff then. Didn't want to do a pile of uploading to have a fail and then have to upload them all again.

Jill

Problems only arise if your images are deemed to be not newsworthy. If this happens they suddenly become regular stock images and are put in the QC lineup. I had this happen in 2012, and I subsequently spent one month in the sin bin over a single rejected news image that failed QC. I haven't had any problems since then, but I now only upload images to the news feed that I think would have a good chance of passing the normal QC process.

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like Ed beat me to it.

Problems only arise if your images are deemed to be not newsworthy. If this happens they suddenly become regular stock images and are put in the QC lineup. I had this happen in 2012, and I subsequently spent one month in the sin bin over a single rejected news image that failed QC. I haven't had any problems since then, but I now only upload images to the news feed that I think would have a good chance of passing the normal QC process.

Luckily they were all deemed newsworthy. Not sure what chance shots from a dragon boat race in Toronto have on Alamy's newsfeed, but worth the upload.

Jill

Luckily they were all deemed newsworthy. Not sure what chance shots from a dragon boat race in Toronto have on Alamy's newsfeed, but worth the upload.

Jill

Jill, I'm not a news photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do occasionally upload Vancouver event images. None of them has ever sold as news, but a few have leased on Alamy later on as regular stock photos for decent prices. Don't think I've ever seen an Alamy image in the Canadian news media other than in the Canuck version of the HuffPost, but then I haven't looked very thoroughly either.

Jill

Jill, I'm not a news photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do occasionally upload Vancouver event images. None of them has ever sold as news, but a few have leased on Alamy later on as regular stock photos for decent prices. Don't think I've ever seen an Alamy image in the Canadian news media other than in the Canuck version of the HuffPost, but then I haven't looked very thoroughly either.

I think outside of world events, non UK news shots don't have a strong chance. I believe the Toronto Star is Alamy's news pusher in Canada, yet of all the times I have gone through the online version of the Star, only once did I find an Alamy pic. Now, I don't check often as they limit you if you don't have a subscriptioin, but the big G and Reuters seem to have a strong hold on the Canadian publishing scene. The odd microstock pic can be found in lifestyle type shots.

Jill

Jill

I think outside of world events, non UK news shots don't have a strong chance. I believe the Toronto Star is Alamy's news pusher in Canada, yet of all the times I have gone through the online version of the Star, only once did I find an Alamy pic. Now, I don't check often as they limit you if you don't have a subscriptioin, but the big G and Reuters seem to have a strong hold on the Canadian publishing scene. The odd microstock pic can be found in lifestyle type shots.

Jill

The Van Sun now uses a fair number of microstock images for illustrating travel stories, sometimes with disastrous results. Last year, they ran a big feature on Aztec ruins in Mexico City on the cover of their travel section. The lead photo -- which took up most of the page -- was of Tulum, Mayan ruins hundreds of miles away on the Yucatan Peninsula.

I've had U.S. news images that I've taken run in the UK.....both in print and on the web.  It all depends on what's happening and what's trending on the news websites.

I don't know why Canadian news would be any different.  I try to focus on stuff of national/international interest and if nothing like that is happening, then I look for ordinary daily life things that us crazy American do (festivals, etc.).

Stuff of international interest from Canada....

Justin Bieber

Oil Sands

Fracking

Immigration

Rob Ford

I've had U.S. news images that I've taken run in the UK.....both in print and on the web.  It all depends on what's happening and what's trending on the news websites.

I don't know why Canadian news would be any different.  I try to focus on stuff of national/international interest and if nothing like that is happening, then I look for ordinary daily life things that us crazy American do (festivals, etc.).

Justin Bieber

Oil Sands

Fracking

Immigration

Rob Ford

Good point, Ed.

Personally, I'd run for cover if I saw Justin Bieber or Rob Ford coming my way, which I guess is why I'm not a news photographer.

Justin Bieber

Oil Sands

Fracking

Immigration

Rob Ford

Good point, Ed.

Personally, I'd run for cover if I saw Justin Beiber or Rob Ford coming my way, which I guess is why I'm not a news photographer.

Ah, but the photographer who captured you running for cover with either of those two in pursuit would have a newsworthy set of shots.

Justin Bieber

Oil Sands

Fracking

Immigration

Rob Ford

Good point, Ed.

Personally, I'd run for cover if I saw Justin Beiber or Rob Ford coming my way, which I guess is why I'm not a news photographer.

Ah, but the photographer who captured you running for cover with either of those two in pursuit would have a newsworthy set of shots.

ROFL!

Justin Bieber

Oil Sands

Fracking

Immigration

Rob Ford

Good point, Ed.

ROFL!

True, there's always some annoying person with a camera or an iPhone watching you these days.

There you go!  What did I tell you!

Go out and photograph the hospital, the media frenzy, and if you can get pics of him....by all means photograph Rob Ford!  (and if you can get Mike Tyson in the image, that's just gravy)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/toronto-mayor-rob-ford-hospitalized-suspected-tumor-n200581

Archived