Seagate 2TB Backup?

Only have one Seagate , and it sometimes runs, and sometimes doesn't, so at least I have copied everything off of it.

Rest of my drives are WD. Never a problem, so why venture to new unchartered territory when there are proven drives that work well. Don't know about the new Seagate drives if they are better now, but until WD lets me down, sticking with them.

Jill

That is exactly the decision I'm trying to make, Jill. If you read what Apple says in the link I put in my OP, you'll see why I'm interested (although not sold) in the new Seagate 2TB . . . and I don't know if it is in fact new. I can get a WD 2TB for the same money. 

Betty, I'm one of those rare Americans who actually like the French and fell historically grateful to them. 

I notice it's a USB drive, don't know if it's coincidence but the only drive that's ever gone wrong for me is a month old (or so) WD USB drive. I was talked into it in our local computer shop and it went south last week.

All other drives have been powered independently and are on all the time the computer is going, 10-12 hours a day when working....

I have 2 portable drives, but don't use them for permanent storage of anything, but haven't had any issues with either of them. Both WD. Kind of my transient drives. Great for storing videos to watch when I am staying out of town.

Jill

Salud, Colin!  ;)

I hope you didn't lose anything important, Geoff. My WD has it's own power plug. USB3 seems to be the way to go with new stuff. But I have only USB2 on my iMac so things would run slower. I think I see another WD in my future. 

Salud, Colin!  ;)

I hope you didn't loose anything important, Geoff. My WD has it's own power plug. USB3 seems to be the way to go with new stuff. But I have only USB2 on my iMac so things would run slower. I think I see another WD in my future. 

Didn't lose anything Edo, well except for maybe 14 hours or so of duplicating the lost drive from another.  Yes, USB 3 will be high on list of must haves when I get new computer.

I see a Drobo or similar in my future...desk is becoming cluttered with wires and black boxes so need a serious change of plan.

• 2 weeks later...

in computer storage never buy if you really don't need it.

now are proliferating hd of solid state (SSD), no motors, no moving parts, so wait until yuo really need.

i have scsi maxtors of 300gb in an external enclosure and until the hd's are at 70-80% full i don't buy anything.

the nexts hd are these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

floating around I have quantum's fireball of 1,45gb :) from the 90's working ok, others maxtors ide of 160gb caput.

Some time ago my computers are under a UPS, even the UPS died and I had a total computer crash ( motherboard, video card, UPS...) but the scsi hd are working properly :)

Do any of you use Seagate stand-alone hard drives? I'm considering getting one of these: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFUE2ZM/A/seagate-2tb-backup-plus-slim-for-mac-portable-hard-drive?fnode=79

I've been using the popular Western Digital HDs for a good while now, but wanted to see what might be newer, gooder and maybe lots better. I once had a LaCie that failed and Time Machine has let me down. 

Thanks, Edo

Hi Ed

It's not a suggestion on your question, instead a question that I would like to ask you if you don't mind.

How did Time Machine let you down?  I rely on Time Machine to backup my iMac on a Seagate ext hard drive.  Was it Time Machine or the Lacie which was the problem?

Sung

My wife's 2009 vintage iMac is now on it's 3rd Western Digital branded hard drive.   We replaced 2 within 14 months.   We only replaced each one with another because that's all the service provider had to install at the time.

I built a coupe of my own custom Window's PC's and after research decided to use IBM Deskstar and later Hitachi's drives.  Hitachi purchased IBM's small hard drive business.  Hitachi drives are now HGST.  The IBM/Hitachi drives have been very reliable.  Have used several over many years with no failures to date  

This past summer I put together a small NAS RAID backup system using a Synology DiskStation and a pair of 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives.  HGST is a Western Digital company that apparently purchased Hitachi's hard drive product line.  Hoping the HGST drive reliability continues  given it's Hitachi/IBM lineage.

http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/internal-drive-kits/nas-desktop-drive-kit

Some real world large scale drive reliability info:  http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

Do any of you use Seagate stand-alone hard drives? I'm considering getting one of these: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFUE2ZM/A/seagate-2tb-backup-plus-slim-for-mac-portable-hard-drive?fnode=79

I've been using the popular Western Digital HDs for a good while now, but wanted to see what might be newer, gooder and maybe lots better. I once had a LaCie that failed and Time Machine has let me down. 

Thanks, Edo

Hi Ed

It's not a suggestion on your question, instead a question that I would like to ask you if you don't mind.

How did Time Machine let you down?  I rely on Time Machine to backup my iMac on a Seagate ext hard drive.  Was it Time Machine or the Lacie which was the problem?

Sung

Sung, the real answer is I'm not sure. This was a few years ago when I bought the iMac I'm now using to replace a mini Mac. The iMac was trouble right from the start, and I had to bring it over to the SoHo Apple store near me. The guy at the Genius Bar decided the HD was faulty and had to be replaced. They did that on warranty. I picked it up the next day and reattached it to my WD 1TR and turned on Time Machine. I could only go back up to the day of the crash. I had all my software on the WD that I dragged into it from my Mac. In the end I lost about 1/3 of my images. 

Was this my fault? Did things happen as I just told you? Should I really be casting dark shadows on Time Machine? As I said, I'm not sure. I'm not knowledgable about things digital, so don't let me spook you about Time Machine if it is working for you. 

The LaCie failed on my mini Mac a few years before, had nothing to do with Time Machine. 

Good luck  :wacko:

ED,

Greetings from Massachusetts, I love it here. How is life in NYC?

On externial drives, for the last decade I only use Western Digitals (WD)

Never had a failure. Most of my friends work at Seagate and they agree

with me.....

PS WD just announced a "wireless" external that will connect with upto ten

devices at one time, sounds interesting.

Chuck

NYC has had a record mild summer. Amazing. Boston is one of my favorite cities in the East. But I've never been there in winter. Mild compared to Moscow, I'm sure. 

Yeah, I'm getting another WD. Thanks for the solid recommendation. 

Thanks, Edo

Hi Ed

Sung

Sung, the real answer is I'm not sure. This was a few years ago when I bought the iMac I'm now using to replace a mini Mac. The iMac was trouble right from the start, and I had to bring it over to the SoHo Apple store near me. The guy at the Genius Bar decided the HD was faulty and had to be replaced. They did that on warranty. I picked it up the next day and reattached it to my WD 1TR and turned on Time Machine. I could only go back up to the day of the crash. I had all my software on the WD that I dragged into it from my Mac. In the end I lost about 1/3 of my images. 

Was this my fault? Did things happen as I just told you? Should I really be casting dark shadows on Time Machine? As I said, I'm not sure. I'm not knowledgable about things digital, so don't let me spook you about Time Machine if it is working for you. 

The LaCie failed on my mini Mac a few years before, had nothing to do with Time Machine. 

Good luck  :wacko:

Hi Ed

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the loss of images.  I experienced a similar incident some years ago (I was using a PC with ext an HD).  It was very painful experience.

I am relatively new to iMac system, so a lot of things to learn to deal with...  Will I need to run Time Machine and a backup at the same time? (it's a question to myself, really....)

Thanks.

Sung

Archived