Just Alamy, or Alamy and Stockimo

Hi all,

I have just uploaded my first 4 images to Alamy, and am awaiting QC, so I'm very new to this.

I'd like to ask some of the experts on here a question.

If I take a photo for Alamy, and also use my phone to take the same (or similar) photo, is there any advantage, or disadvantage to uploading both photos to Alamy and Stockimo?

I imagine any buyer worth his/her salt will know about both Stockimo and Alamy, and would use that to find the cheapest version (assuming resolution/size wasn't paramount, which I am sure in some cases is the case) . . . I can't see much any logic in entering into a price-war with myself, no matter how trivial.

dd

I see your point, dd, about competing with myself on price. Maybe picture buyers would only look on Stockimo for low res images? If they wanted or needed a high res image they wouldn't look there.

I guess it's a question of whether to offer two versions, cheap and low res, or dear and high res. I suppose for popular subjects, picture buyers will only look at Stockimo type images if they only need low res, but for less well photographed subjects (or ones which can't be done with phones) like macro they would have to look at Alamy?

Thanks to you and Alex for the replies. You've provided some food for thought.

Hi Ian,

I wonder if the markets for Stockimo and "ordinary stock" are rather different, and also many "straightforward" stock images are simply rejected by Stockimo, so if I have an image that I think could do well on both I will submit it to both, though the Stockimo image may well be more manipulated

Kumar

I imagine any buyer worth his/her salt will know about both Stockimo and Alamy, and would use that to find the cheapest version (assuming resolution/size wasn't paramount, which I am sure in some cases is the case) . . . I can't see much any logic in entering into a price-war with myself, no matter how trivial.

dd

You could probably make the same arguement against submitting similars - that you're competing against yourself. As far as I know, Stockimo images are priced the same as Alamy images so while size may be a factor, price doesn't seem to be.

Last Spring I shot a group of houses with both my iPhone and Nikon D610. The Stockimo image is filtered with funky edges and the DSLR isn't. The DSLR image sold this month but the Stockimo version hasn't, so yes, it does seem to be worth shooting both ways and submitting both.

fD

All the thoughts and pointers by James suggets IMO is a different market with different needs and asperations. That being the case i would think that an IMO image is only worth doing if you put a different / alternate take on it. (Not just filter but view etc)

dd

You could probably make the same arguement against submitting similars - that you're competing against yourself. As far as I know, Stockimo images are priced the same as Alamy images so while size may be a factor, price doesn't seem to be.

Last Spring I shot a group of houses with both my iPhone and Nikon D610. The Stockimo image is filtered with funky edges and the DSLR isn't. The DSLR image sold this month but the Stockimo version hasn't, so yes, it does seem to be worth shooting both ways and submitting both.

fD

I do indeed make the same (or similar . . . ) argument against submitting similars. If pics are very close and the similars are just slight differences of viewpoint, with nothing more to offer than each other, I don't submit the similars. I decide which is best compositionally and submit that. And I'm not sure your example proves your point (as much as one example can really "prove" anything) or mine :) . . .

dd

Archived