At this time I don't have a small camera, but it seems everyone is using them.  In the Sony NEX models what do you think of the a5000, or are the other models better.  How does the Sony models match up to Fuji and others.

Marvin

At this time I don't have a small camera, but it seems everyone is using them.  In the Sony NEX models what do you think of the a5000, or are the other models better.  How does the Sony models match up to Fuji and others.

Marvin

I use the NEX-6 and am very pleased with it. Alamy seems happy with the results as well.

Personally, I'd go for the a6000 rather than the a5000 because the a6000 has an electronic viewfinder (EVF). I believe that the a6000 costs only about $100 more.

Happy Sony NEX 6 user here, but I was attracted by the electronic view finder that the a5000 does not have, for that you need to look at a6000, NEX 6 or 7

The EVF fitted to the a6000 does not have the same resolution as that in the NEX6/7, otherwise I might have bought one. Not sure how much of an issue this is to be honest, not having tried an a6000.

Lenses are a bit of a problem. I use a selection of old full frame primes with the NEX 6 and they are great, if you don't mind manual focus etc. The standard image stabilized auto focus zoom is OK but far from brilliant, while the various Zeiss offerings are not cheap. Sigma make a few auto focus lenses that are half decent at more reasonable price points.

Dxo rate the sensor quite highly.

I hardly use my Canon 5Dii since buying the NEX 6.

Also look at Fuji.

Edit - missed John's post due to having dinner between starting and ending my response, seems we agree about the  EVF

Further edit - you might consider a a6000 with the Zeiss 16-70  zoom, reviews are a bit mixed - excellent in the centre, soft edges. Price OKish. Slightly tempted myself.

I'm another NEX convert, have the NEX 3, 6 and 7. I also have the Sony RX10. As all have said, the EVF is a must. But do take a good look at the smaller Fuji system. Their lenses seems to be better as well as cheaper. 

I tried both the 5000 and 6000 in a camera shop and found the handling of the 6000 infinitely better, but this will always be down to individual preference. Am currently waiting for the next model which will hopefully allow autofocus point selection by touch screen and have a decent standard zoom. However I do keep looking at the refurb site and could be tempted if a 6 or 6000 come up at the right price.

On the lens front I had a quick look at my most used focal lengths and reckon I could get by with the Sigma 19 and 30mms, but this does reduce some of the advantages. The other option is an adaptor for my Canon lenses but as this adds size and reduces autofocus speed I may as well carry the Canon.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, I guess there are times when having the small camera and not attracting attention to yourself is good.  I have many old Minolta a mount and md mount lenses that could be used with adapters.  Are most shooting RAW or Jpeg with these cameras.

Marvin

Thanks for the info, I guess there are times when having the small camera and not attracting attention to yourself is good.  I have many old Minolta a mount and md mount lenses that could be used with adapters.  Are most shooting RAW or Jpeg with these cameras.

Marvin

I shoot raw because I almost always shoot raw, using Lightroom for the conversions and PS to fine tune. The bundled Sony raw converter is pretty limited, although usable.

I've tried fully auto JPG a couple of times, sometimes using the clever multiple exposure HDR feature, but was not overly impressed.

You can turn on one of the various JPG exposure modes during raw conversion, and I occasionally use Landscape, but most of the time prefer Adobe standard. 

Manual focus is very easy with the NEX 6, with its almost 10x viewfinder magnification and/or focus peaking. I find the 10x view is generally more reliable than focus peaking.

I used to shoot RAW exclusively but now shoot JPEG most of the time with my NEX-6. The JPEGs from this camera are really good, I find.

I also like the in-camera CA and distortion correction that you can enable in JPEG mode. QC has been happy with the results as well.

Is there much difference between the 6 and 6000, or is the 6000 just a later model?

The NEX-6 has a 16 MP sensor, while the a6000 has a 24 MP one. There are other differences as well. For instance, the a6000 has a larger phase-detect AF area plus a slightly bigger and differently shaped body. Unfortunately, the a6000 has a lower resolution EVF than the 6, but most reviews I've read claim that it's adequate. Sony seems to have dropped the "NEX" name. I haven't used the a6000, but I'm very happy with the NEX-6 so far.

I'm not a huge fan of the Snapsort comparisons, but they seem really sold on the a6000:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony-Alpha-A6000-vs-Sony-Alpha-NEX-6

Make sure to scroll down past the ads. Interestingly enough, they didn't take into account the NEX-6's superior viewfinder.

In addition to the differences pointed out by John, the NEX 6 has an optional two plane level indicator within the viewfinder, that I find very useful. This is unfortunately absent from the a6000.

I use a Nissin flashgun, designed for Canon, on the NEX 6 as, unlike some previous Sony models, it has a universal shoe fitting. I don't know what the a6000 has.

So a6000, higher resolution sensor and better auto focus, NEX 6 higher resolution EVF and level indicator. Jury out on flash shoe.

In addition to the differences pointed out by John, the NEX 6 has an optional two plane level indicator within the viewfinder, that I find very useful. This is unfortunately absent from the a6000.

I use a Nissin flashgun, designed for Canon, on the NEX 6 as, unlike some previous Sony models, it has a universal shoe fitting. I don't know what the a6000 has.

So a6000, higher resolution sensor and better auto focus, NEX 6 higher resolution EVF and level indicator. Jury out on flash shoe.

Forgot about the NEX 6's level indicator. Pretty sure (but not positive) that both cameras have the same "multi-interface" hot  shoe. Something else to consider is that the a6000's 24 MP sensor will be more demanding on lenses. This is all academic for me, though, since I'm still paying for the NEX-6. B)

Archived