Saving changes to File Info

I have noticed a spelling mistake I made in my metadata for a specific set of photos.

To correct this, do I just need to call up the jpeg and make the changes in the file info and save that , or do I need to resave the photo as well, which means calling up all the RAWS and redoing.

Jill

You need an application that does non-destructive metadata editing, otherwise each time you resave a JPEG it will be degraded a little bit. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Photoshop will do this. There are a number of apps available that will. I use one called iTag which I don't particularly like but it does the job and I only need it occasionally.

Alan

Metadata changes in a jpeg which is then re-saved, at same compression, will make no difference to the quality of the jpeg. Only pixel editing operations will do that.

You can easily test this yourself. Even when you make minor editing changes to jpegs (do it in 16 bit), the quality change is usually pretty minimal. I use jpegs for outsourcing some work and the re-save/changing make no practical differences. They are a lot tougher than people often think.

Metadata changes in a jpeg which is then re-saved, at same compression, will make no difference to the quality of the jpeg. Only pixel editing operations will do that.

Surely when you load a JPEG into Photoshop it will store the data internally as uncompressed pixels (complete with data loss from the original compression), in which case it will need to re-compress it afresh when you save it, even if no pixel data has been edited?

Im sure you're right that it will make little or no practical difference, though. But as a purist I always avoid it.

Alan

With-in Alamy you have no problem tidying up spelling and other details.

But you point to the case for storing the finished file as a LZW TIFF. This "lossless" compression will take your file size down to about half and no matter how you care to view quite how lossless LZW may be, it is a whole lot better than any level of jpeg.  So I hear the argument about saving RAW as keeping the original  but realistically, how many of us are really going to go back to a RAW and re-work it? Having honed one's skills in Photoshop or found tempting tools in a later version, perhaps one might re-visit the occasional file but even on a long winter's evening I pretty well always find better things to do. Of course, we can re-visit a TIFF and tweak it without having to worry about losing our metedata.

Speaking of winter Jill and moving on to climate as a digression here in the southern patch of UK it does get warm, but we are at the same latitude as James Bay, while you in Southern Ontario are at about the same level as Marseille in the very south of france. I grew up in Kingston Ontario and have been trying to convince Brits of this fact for a very long time, but I'm simply convincing them that I am out of my tree! If I drag out a Map or globe, it is regarded as some kind of trick

If we even for a moment interrupt the Gulf Stream, we in the UK will find ourselves in a Siberian climate. Our puny outside plumbing and drains will freeze solid, the palm trees of Culzean Castle will perish and we will huddle under heaps of duvets for many months.

If you are using Lightroom you just have to select all the images and change the information in the metadata field. I've been assuming you don't use it but maybe you do and just don't know this?

Paulette

If you are using Lightroom you just have to select all the images and change the information in the metadata field. I've been assuming you don't use it but maybe you do and just don't know this?

Paulette

I don't use Lightroom. I keep thinking of going back and trying it again as I really don't do much in PS as I do all the PP in ACR before  I put the images in PS. My patience grew thin trying to learn Lightroom. I tested an image in PS and yes, you have to resave the image to save the new metadata.

Decided I'll just make the changes in Manage Images when the pics clear QC.

Maybe I will play a bit with Lightroom today.

Jill

Archived