Are warranties transferable?

Does anyone know if camera and lens warranties are transferable? That is, if you buy a piece of used equipment from someone, is the warranty still valid? Private sellers often tout remaining warranty time as a positive selling point, but I'm not sure that they are correct, even if there is an original receipt available.

I never register my cameras or lenses. I have changed systems often. I also buy the extended warranties. When I sell I generally get a decent price because of the warranty. I always say it was a gift.How would anyone know otherwise?

L

I never register my cameras or lenses. I have changed systems often. I also buy the extended warranties. When I sell I generally get a decent price because of the warranty. I always say it was a gift.How would anyone know otherwise?

L

Not sure what you mean by, "I always say it was a gift."

I seldom register my new equipment either. Are warranties no longer valid on used stuff if the original owner has registered a lens or camera? 

If I sell a camera and down the line they need service,the manufacturer or warranty company will question why the receipt is in my name and they have a different name.

I tell the buyer to just say they rec'd the item as a gift.

L

If I sell a camera and down the line they need service,the manufacturer or warranty company will question why the receipt is in my name and they have a different name.

I tell the buyer to just say they rec'd the item as a gift.

L

Thanks, that's what I figured but wasn't sure. Makes sense.

I really think it's too late for me to act like a mature, resonable person when it comes to doing the smart thing with my equipment--there are just too many loose ends for me to grasp and hold. I think I'll just pour myself another glass of this nice Folonari Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and try to relax. I have a guest coming, and it will soon be time to go to work on my spinach and mushroom rissotto, perhaps my finest work of art.  :P  Buona domenica. (Yes, I'm in pain missing Rome.)  :(

For the past couple years I have not kept my cameras long or have gotten much use out of many of them since my injury last year.

I've been averaging 5 weeks to 3 months or even less than that.Some cameras I parted with had less than 25 exposures.

Most cameras have been too heavy since my injury.I bought the Fuji X-T1 5 weeks ago and have shot less than 1000 frames and I will be selling that.

WHY? It's an amazing camera and the lenses are the best I've used.But for shooting fast moving red carpet where we get a celeb for 1-2 minutes while everyone is screaming,'Look here' look here' I'm barely getting 2 usable shots at each event while all my friends are clicking away,my lenses are hunting and not locking focus.

Last night after my edit I had 17 ok photos...Not good.My DSLR had me bringing back for shoots in the past at least 30-75 in focus,mostly eye contact images.

It struggled a few weeks ago photographing 2 different singers at an outdoor concert at dusk with stage lighting.The lighting was not bright arena lighting.What I was seeing was not always what I was getting and it became a bit frustrating but I thought I'd do a couple more events after that

and see what I could do to make it better.

Nothing.

Though the Sony X-T1 is the best camera they have made,it can do  most things a DSLR can do,but not all things.

I will keep my X-Pro1 for travel with the 10-24mm and 56mm 1.2. Those are fabulous lenses.

I'm ordering a DSLR...probably the Canon 6D again as it was lighter than previous full frame bodies I've owned.And the GPS was a God send when I was all over California.

I love full frame!

No camera stores near me to check them out and I'm in a major city! Best Buy never has anything...

L

Full warranties are usually transferable - you don't have to be the original owner of a car to get problems fixed before the end of the warranty period. It should work for most products that give a full warranty, the proviso is having the date of original sale. Some companies like Dell (I guess because they sell direct) have an official transfer process http://www.dell.com/support/retail/us/en/19/ownershiptransfer/IdentifySystem

The problem is usually if you buy 'as is' or limited warranties. Personally, other than one car, I've always had the good fortune to have things go wrong with stuff well after the warranty expired..... :(

I know Mack and Square Trade are as well. I sometimes buy extended warranties.

I'm always up front with buyers and disclose everything and the actual shutter count.Even if I have to buy a 3rd party app to find out how many activations the camera has. I've done 4000 thousand  ebay transactions and over 600 Amazon transactions since both companies started and have no negative feedback.

I only had 1 film camera break down in the 80s and it came back more screwed up than when I brought it in. :-(

I've had quite a few Canon 580EXII flashes fry or turn on but not flash.I no longer use those. The Yongnuo 560 III I find to be about as quick,have not overheated and sell at a great price...Less than 1/4 the price of a pro flash.

Well,here comes our nightly storm...3am..good sleeping weather at least!

L

Full warranties are usually transferable - you don't have to be the original owner of a car to get problems fixed before the end of the warranty period. It should work for most products that give a full warranty, the proviso is having the date of original sale. Some companies like Dell (I guess because they sell direct) have an official transfer process http://www.dell.com/support/retail/us/en/19/ownershiptransfer/IdentifySystem

The problem is usually if you buy 'as is' or limited warranties. Personally, other than one car, I've always had the good fortune to have things go wrong with stuff well after the warranty expired..... :(

Good comparison, what works for cars should work for camera equipment. The car I have now was bought used, and I had no problems getting a dealer to honour the remaining warranty.

For those in Europe: there is a mandatory 2-year warranty by the manufacturer on new goods and a mandatory 1-year warranty by commercial sellers on used goods. The former is transferable, the latter is not.

I recently sold a DSLR within the one-year seller's warranty and agreed to act as a go-between if the buyer runs into any problems, since the warranty was issued to me. I've got a few months to go.

For those in Europe: there is a mandatory 2-year warranty by the manufacturer on new goods and a mandatory 1-year warranty by commercial sellers on used goods. The former is transferable, the latter is not.

I recently sold a DSLR within the one-year seller's warranty and agreed to act as a go-between if the buyer runs into any problems, since the warranty was issued to me. I've got a few months to go.

The UK norm is a six month warranty on used goods from places like MPB.

Here in Canada, most commercial sellers (e.g. camera stores) usually offer only 30-90 day warranties on used equipment. The longer manufacturer's warranty would probably be transferable (by the sounds of it) only if an original receipt giving the date of purchase was available.

Maybe it depends on the company.  On Nikon's website they state warranties are only valid with the original receipt and are not transferable.

https://help.nikon.ca/app/answers/detail/a_id/5698/~/nikon-canadian-service-warranty---digital-imaging-products

Hmmm... interesting. I'm thinking of buying a used Sigma lens that is still under warranty, so I checked the Sigma website. They also say that warranties are non-transferable. However, if the seller supplies an original receipt without his or her name on it, then perhaps there wouldn't be a problem.

Archived