Have you seen the new RX100 mk III is out?

It sports a pop-up EVF and has the latest processor on board and f1.8/2.8 24-70mm equiv FF lens.

Allan

I've not read any reviews or many details on the III as yet, but this could be a real game changer. Basically, the lack of a viewfinder was always given as the main reason for skipping the RX100 and RX100 II. While they last, B&H is now selling the RX100 for $548 . . . the others each jump up another $100 in price. So $200 for a viewfinder. Seems like a good deal to me. Each new model also adds about an once of weight, so 8.47 op to 10.23 oz. Even the most extreme, weight-aware contributors could adjust to that. 

Me? No, I won't be buying any new cameras and I've already moved into the smaller-lighter world. 

Ed I already have the original RX100 and am happy with it. Am committed to Fuji X. In fact I am looking at the new "X super zoom" when it comes out so cash will go to that and not the new Sony.

I just thought it might interest someone here.

Allan

By the way I'm missing your old fizzog of the grey beard brigade.

(Happy with RX100) Yeah, Allan, as many others are too.

I have a food writer friend who I've been trying to get to buy herself an RX100 since it first came out. For shooting food in restaurants, using a screen that you can move around is much better than a viewfinder. You can use both higher and lower angles with the screen and not disturb the people at the other tables. I found this out using my NEX-3. 

Sony seem to be treating cameras as consumer disposables - it is all about consumption. Might make sense for them but not the photographer who needs to buy into a system (I appreciate the RX100 is not a system camera but the same is happening). The constantly changing offering is why I could not bring myself to buy Sony when I was going mirrorless and the associated lack of commitment (at least at the time) to producing a coherent lens range (without having to use adapters). I just do not know what their strategy is so I am not willing to invest in the system.

With my Fuji X kit I do not feel the need for a fixed lens camera (even the X100S). I much prefer Fuji's approach of developing their cameras through firmware updates rather than launching new hardware version every 6-12 months.

Sony seem to be treating cameras as consumer disposables - it is all about consumption. Might make sense for them but not the photographer who needs to buy into a system (I appreciate the RX100 is not a system camera but the same is happening). The constantly changing offering is why I could not bring myself to buy Sony when I was going mirrorless and the associated lack of commitment (at least at the time) to producing a coherent lens range (without having to use adapters). I just do not know what their strategy is so I am not willing to invest in the system.

With my Fuji X kit I do not feel the need for a fixed lens camera (even the X100S). I much prefer Fuji's approach of developing their cameras through firmware updates rather than launching new hardware version every 6-12 months.

Exactly why I bought into the Fuji X kit too. I bought my RX100 as a carry anywhere anytime camera while I still had the Canon outfit and it has served me well to date. I had considered the RX10 at one stage then decided the money would be better spent on the new Fuji long reach lens when it comes out towards the end of the year.

Allan

Exactly why I bought into the Fuji X kit too. I bought my RX100 as a carry anywhere anytime camera while I still had the Canon outfit and it has served me well to date. I had considered the RX10 at one stage then decided the money would be better spent on the new Fuji long reach lens when it comes out towards the end of the year.

Allan

I will fight to be in line before you, Allan, for that one. :)  Although I am a bit anxious to see how big/heavy it is.  

I may have to buy a new bag.  Darn. I just hate answering that bell.  You know how women hate to shop. :) The one I recently purchased for the X system is a F-stop Shibata.  My camera, with one lens mounted, and two other lenses fit perfectly. I have room for a small notebook, extra batteries and cards, flash that came with, room left over in some pockets.  The size is perfect.  I got it during a sale for $30 something.  Canvas and well-made. Handbag size, but men on the Fuji forum snapped it up as it is just a bag, not feminine.  But I don't think it will hold the new super zoom without leaving another lens out.

Betty

I'm in the same boat Betty. I use the Lowepro Event Messenger 150. Ideal size for X-T1 + 3 zooms (one attached to camera) + everything else you need including a laptop in a separate compartment. Although I do not carry my laptop with the camera. Even takes the camera with battery grip attached. I also have another bag in which I keep the X-E2 and prime lenses.

What I tend to do though is to have the gear packed in storage in the bags then when I go out on a shoot I take out the equipment I think I will need and pack it into the multitudinous pockets of a fisherman's vest jacket. I could never have done that with my Canon gear but with the Fuji lenses being much smaller they fit in well. Weight, what there is of it, is distributed evenly about the shoulders/body. A fisherman's vest is also much cheaper than a photographers vest. I think mine cost about £15.

Also more secure and less chance of leaving it lying around somewhere.

I don't think the new super zoom will fit in my vest either.

Allan

It's going to be a three-way battle then!

I think there will be a few more in the queue Martin from what I read on this forum.

Allan

"Queue" That's a strange word.

At least we are spread globally so there will be less pushing and shoving.

I have a canvas field jacket with big pockets that I use in the same way as your vest when it is warm enough (does not keep out the wind). Otherwise I use a very cheap (Spootnic) canvas bag I bought in France, about the size of a large man bag or small fisherman's bag, sorry, that is a small bag for fisherman!

I've never held any of the RX100 models: Does the RX100 have a moveable LCD? Do any of them have that? 

Not sure about the mark 2 but the latest version has, along with that pop-up EVF. The first definitely doesn't, I have that one as well.

The mkII has the tilting back also.

Allan

Yeah, both the 2 and the 3 have an adjustable screen, but it seems the original RX100 does not. I've not seen or held any of the RX100s, but comparing the specs of the three on the B&H site they don't mention a moveable screen on the RX100. I'm just curious; I don't plan to buy any of them, good as I think they are.  :)

Yeah, both the 2 and the 3 have an adjustable screen, but it seems the original RX100 does not. I've not seen or held any of the RX100s, but comparing the specs of the three on the B&H site they don't mention a moveable screen on the RX100. I'm just curious; I don't plan to buy any of them, good as I think they are.  :)

Ed I use the RX100 and can confirm the rear screen is fixed.

Allan

Edit: In the UK it can be bought for £360 (605$us) probably a bit less if you shop around. Oh and accessories are being given away with it.

Having the Fuji now with articulating screen, I can definitely see why everyone likes it.  I'd never used one before getting the RX100, so I didn't miss something I never had.

The RX100-3 having that, plus the EVF makes it more desireable to me. Each one out is a bit bigger than the last, I wonder how much bigger 3 is from 1?

I don't do anything but inches, lol!  I wouldn't want it if it still isn't tiny enough for me to feel I can always have it with me.

Betty

Betty I have the dimensions. (W x H x D)

Mk 1  4" x 2.28" x 1.41"

Mk 3  4" x 2.375" x 1.625"

These are English inches, you may need to convert to USA inches. :)

That is with everything retracted and folded down.

The lens is now a 24 - 70mm FF equiv so less reach than previous incarnations.

Sony USA are advertising it at $799.99 but I think it will be comparatively more expensive in the UK.

Allan

Betty, you can look at the specs of all three 100s here:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sony+cyber-shot+dsc-rx100&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

In my new hard-to-see portrait to the left you might observe that I'm wearing a leather A2 jacket. It has roomy chest pockets with flaps that click close, perfect for a small, flat camera like the Sony 100 series. I have a couple or three other large-pockets coats, too, even a light one with no lining.  But I prefer to carry the RX10 (won't fit in a pocket) or one of my NEX Sonys in my small shoulder bag (man purse?). With the Upstrap  http://www.upstrap-pro.com  on the bag I hardly notice it's there, and if I want, I can carry a few extras: compass, notebook, map, phone, anti-personal grenade. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update the RX100 mk III is being advertised in the UK for £699 on pre-order with free 16MB card.

Allan

I'm so happy with my Fuji X-T1 I have sold off my Sony RX-10 as well as all of my Canon DSLRs. The Sony is a good camera,though a bit big for my purse.

Just happier with Fuji in all regards. All my Fuji lenses are my favorite lenses! It's just a really great system.

L

Agreed Linda, happy with my Fuji too but keeping the RX100 Mk I for the odd occasion.

Allan

Agreed Linda, happy with my Fuji too but keeping the RX110 Mk I for the odd occasion.

Allan

All of my occasions are 'odd' but I'll just use the Fuji to capture them. :D

L

Archived