Canon G9 no longer suitable?

Good day.  My most recent QC failed because one of the cameras I use (and have successfully submitted photos from in the past) is now apparently not suitable.  The Canon G9 exceeds the published requirements and is not on the unsuitable camera list.  Is this a bugaboo?  Is there an avenue beyond this forum to ask if the unsuitable list has now been invisibly expanded?

Digital camera not suitable for Alamy

Images from a digital camera which is below our recommended specification will show problems such as intrusive coloured (chroma) noise, degradation of image detail and/or interpolation artifacts. We recommend using a pro-level camera with a “true” (non-interpolated) resolution of at least 6 megapixels. Recommended camera list This will give an uncompressed, 8 bit file size of at least 17MB. For more information, please see images from digital cameras.

Thank you.

v/r,

kelly

deepearth photography

Kelly,

If QC failed an image it would have been because they did not like something about the image quality.   However, as you say, the G9 is not on the unsuitabe camera list (although the G6 and G7 are).

I suspect that QC accidently put the wrong reason for failure against the image.

You could ask MS about the failed image, but that will not make it any better!

You may like to ask MS if they can confirm that he G9 is not on the "unsuitable" list. 

Personally, as it is not on the list, I would carry on using it, but be really careful about the IQ of any images I submit from it.

I have about 5 images here from the Canon G9 that are best sellers here and at other agencies. That was a great walkaround camera for many.

Sorry to see it's on the list now.I won't be removing those images!

L

I have about 5 images here from the Canon G9 that are best sellers here and at other agencies. That was a great walkaround camera for many.

L

Linda,

I looked at the unsuitable list and I did not see the G9 there, only the G6 and G7.

Unless I mis-read the list. it is still OK to use.

L

Linda,

I looked at the unsuitable list and I did not see the G9 there, only the G6 and G7.

Unless I mis-read the list. it is still OK to use. Good to know though because i proably have some photos I never post processed.

I haven't had the Canon G9 in years.I think I've had a good 20 cameras after that. :-)

For a little carry around Digital the Canon G series are about as good as it has ever been, I started with the G2 

and today used a G9. I am planning on buying a G15 or 16 soon, but first I have to finish processing all the RAW

files from my D800's.

Great little cameras if you know how to use them and understand their limitations.

Back in the mid '80's I  used to travel a lot for my (non photographic) business.   Always took camera with me.   Fuji SLR etc too big, so I bought a Canon 35ML.  

35ML Seemed ideal, not a bad size and it had a 40mm f1.9 lens.   It also had a new invention - autofocus.   The AF rarely worked, and average about 20 from each 36 roll were out of focus.  I hated it and sold it fast. I got a Minox GT-E, smaller and with brilliantly sharp lens, I kept and used it for years until digital came along.

I have never touched a Canon camera since, and never will....

I asked the very same question to alami and got this reply on 6/52014

The Canon G9 isn’t on our recommended or unsuitable camera list because it creates borderline results, we've accepted images from it in the past because it can produce good results when images are shot in the right conditions.

I read this as suggesting as long as its a good image go ahead and submit

Andrew

I've got a G9 relegated to a shelf in the closet that I am planning to sell.  I don't know how many clicks, but I would think between 500-1000.  I have images from it accepted by Alamy.  Good little camera, when I bought my Nikon D7000, I got into it so deep that I forgot to take the G9 with me when out and about.  Then when I thought small again, I was seduced by the RX100.

Betty

Ouch. I got the same answer from MS some time back, and then resolved to first process all the remaining photos from this camera that is there in my archives. Like all such good intentions, never happened, and am now wondering whether it will be worthwhile to process those photos. I do not want to be in the 28 day sin bin.

I agree with Chuck that the G-series are great cameras providing you know their limitations. This thread has prompted me to add up the gross sales I've had with my G12 and it comes to over $800 in less than 2 years  - quite pleasing considering my modest portfolio size. By coincidence, 3 of my sales so far this month have been G12 images. The G9 may be an earlier model, but I certainly wouldn't give up on it yet.

I've got a G9 relegated to a shelf in the closet that I am planning to sell.  I don't know how many clicks, but I would think between 500-1000.  I have images from it accepted by Alamy.  Good little camera, when I bought my Nikon D7000, I got into it so deep that I forgot to take the G9 with me when out and about.  Then when I thought small again, I was seduced by the RX100.

Betty

Betty,I just sold off all my Canon gear and Canon doesn't have a way of showing the shuttercount. I bought an APP for 2.99 called Shuttercount. It installed on my Mac.I plug the camera in and it tells me the count. Had I gone by my frame numbers,theat showed more than 1200 more than Shuttercount.   L

Archived