Test submissions: What do you recommend?

Alamy test submission  

20 members have voted

1. 1. I recommed the following approach for the Alamy test submission:

• Submit 4 "safe" images (use tripod, prime lens, etc.), to make sure to get accepted.
    • Submit 4 "regular" pictures to find out if your images are good enough.

I start this thread, because the old forum isn´t searchable any longer.

The most important question for anybody who wants to become an Alamy contributor is probably: "How do I pass QC with my first 4 images?"

I think, the most common answer to this question is: "Take a camera, which is on Alamy´s positive list and a prime lens, put it on a tripod, and take pictures of a brick wall, a newspaper page, a coin, and your computer screen!"

Sure, with this "safe-approach" you will get accepted. But is this really target-aimed? 

I took a different approach, when I started one year ago. I submitted 4 images, which represent my style of photography, taken with my every-day-lens (Nikkor 18-200mm). I also chose images from which I wasn´t sure, if they will be accepted. It made no sense for me to get accepted with 4 "safe-images", only to find out later, that my regular work is not good enough.

Fortunately my test submission passed QC.

Here are my first images, and why I chose them:

1. I wasn´t sure, if the face is acceptable sharp:

CEAF9P.jpg

2. Selective focus on the hands, not face:

CEAF98.jpg

3. I wasn´t sure, if the girl´s face is sharp enough:

CEAF8G.jpg

4. I chose this, because my camera and lens are "Made in Thailand".  :rolleyes:

CEAF6W.jpg

So, what would you recommend a new contributer? The "safe-approach" or the "realistic-approach"?

Colin

I think yours is a very sensible approach. The advice given to "newbies" about keeping it simple is usually given when people seem to be lost and without a reference point.  

My four test images were everyday type form my old Canon 20D. No tripod only handheld. Do not remember the lens used. This was in the days when Alamy wanted images of 48MB minimum so I had to uprez from 20D.

Allan

Way back in 2007, when you had to submit 10 images instead of four (on a DVD, no less), I chose the "realistic approach," and they all passed QC. One of the photos -- shot at ISO 800 with a camera that wasn't supposed to be any good over ISO 400 -- sold almost immediately.

However, given that QC has changed a lot since then and now must be blurry eyed having had to vet so many images over the years, I would probably go with the "safe approach" if I were applying to join the Alamy army in 2013. Colin's "realistic approach" philosophy still makes more sense to me, though. Having to continuously agonize over whether or not your style of photography is "safe enough" for Alamy can become a real pain in the you-know-what.

I'm a newbie try to share.

My first submission was failed. Landscape image failed for soft or lacked definition. My macro image failed due to dust on camera sensor (I use extension tube and a match stick to open the apperture). I took the advice to use tripod, ISO 100, and minimum post process and I passed QC on second submission.  Now most of my images use that same process. My old camera has limit, I keep in mind to use ISO 100. On ISO 400 it start show some noise when I see it 100% on photoshop. Because of that I try to always use tripod when not much light available to avoid blur/shake. Always zoom your images at 100% and check for focus sharpness, dust, and noise.

IMHO, you can shoot what you like at first submission. But it helps to use a tripod and to shoot object that doesnt move.

Most cameras will pass at 400 but you can always use a bit of noise reduction. I limited myself to 400 till I discovered LR NR and now I'm happy at 800. A bit of extra saturation counteracts the flatness at 800 as well.

Archived