JPEGS OOC Fuji X100S and others

I am sorry to have ask again but I need further help please.  Please bear with me on this.

I am shooting images using a Fuji X100S.  I process in LR5.  I have done a direct comparison and there is no doubt that the JPEGS, provide in my opinion,  sharper edge to edge images than RAW with equivalent sharpening added.  No sharpening edge artefacts appear on either the JPEG or RAW image.  I realise however that RAW enables more D Range in difficult lighting however Fuji does have its in camera DR profiles.

My question is as follows : 

How can I do post processing of the JPEG image ( albeit by a small amount i.e. sharpening , exposure , highlight / shadow recovery ) without degradation of the JPEG file ??? 

Do Alamy accept JPEG images which have had post processing applied ??? 

Thank you very much for your considered opinions.

Kindest regards,

Adam.

Alamy does not want you to excessively sharpen your images.  What's coming out of the camera is sharp enough if you do your part.

Alamy does accept images (jpg or otherwise) where post processing has been applied.

Here's a tutorial to help you out....

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/prepare-images.asp

I shoot jpeg and always have for Alamy.

Since going to LR I let it do 'auto tone' on import and also usually some saturation and clarity. The camera settings stay as neutral as I can manage. No sharpening anywhere. Occasional recovery for blown highlights.

Thank you both for your kind input - I would be grateful if you could answer the following :

How can I do post process a JPEG image ( tweaks here and there ) without degradation of the JPEG file ??? 

Do I need to save it as a TIFF or can that only be done with a RAW file ???

Thanks ever so.

Adam

LR  makes its own preview to show your processing, then exports a developed copy for Alamy.

Just let it import the originals. They remain unaltered.

The only time you need to bother with TIFFs is if you need to do any PS work- then LR makes a TIFF to edit in PS, and stacks it with the original.

Re. the apparent difference in sharpness between raw/jpg files. Do you have "enable profile corrections" enabled (that's under "profile" in the "lens corrections" panel)? These corrections in effect blur the image somewhat. In my experience (X100, LR4) the correction works on raw files, not jpg's. So unticking the correction box might increase edge-to-edge sharpness of the raws....

When you save a TIFF as a jpg, you will lose some data.

dd

Save your original jpg as a tiff. Do your PP on the tiff then resave the tiff as a jpg. There will be no degradation of the file.

I hate to quibble but this isn't necessary in LR unless you take it into PS in which case LR does it on demand.

Archived