QC redemption -- Is it possible?

I don't want to sound like a QC whiner, but I believe this question has never been asked before, at least not directly.

First some background, I have been uploading to Alamy since 2007 and have made hundreds of sales, for which I'm very grateful. I had a perfect QC record for my first two years with Alamy; however, since 2011, I have been mired in the "28 working days" notification period for QC failures. I find this situation to be so demotivating that I have been uploading very little to Alamy lately, even though my sales remain good and recent submissions -- such as they are -- have been passing QC.

My question is the following: Is it possible to get out of this 28-day failure notification cycle? I would be interested in knowing if anyone else in my situation has managed to climb out of this hole and return to a rational waiting period, and if so how long it took and how many submissions without a failure. Does Alamy start putting you in a different (i.e. shorter) queue if your QC record improves?

Thanks.

N.B. I'm not seeking advice on how to pass QC or on other technical or work flow matters.

I can't really say, I've had a couple of failures this year after a  4-year run of with only 2 or 3 fails out of 100 subs and it hasn't affected my waiting times at all. In fact I've just had a 24-hour resub pass straight after a 48-hour fail. You must be very unlucky if you're talking about a record similar to mine.

I can't really say, I've had a couple of failures this year after a  4-year run of with only 2 or 3 fails out of 100 subs and it hasn't affected my waiting times at all. In fact I've just had a 24-hour resub pass straight after a 48-hour fail. You must be very unlucky if you're talking about a record similar to mine.

I doubt if it was bad luck. I was put on the slow boat very suddenly in 2011. I must have crossed some kind of invisible threshold.

I'll re-iterate what Mark says. I had a fail in January after an unblemished 5-year period and the notification arrived in exactly the same time as a normal pass would have done.

Alan

In 2010 I had a run of 4 failures out of 8 but even then the resubs passed in a few days so I don't know. The first fail took 9 days. That's probably the longest I've ever waited.

I had three failures in 2013, which translated into over three months spent in the "Sin Bin." If the 28+ day waiting period has become a permanent feature for me, I see myself drifting away from Alamy, which is a shame because I really like Alamy and do well here (closing in on $3000 gross so far in 2014). Hence my question: Is QC redemption possible?

I'll re-iterate what Mark says. I had a fail in January after an unblemished 5-year period and the notification arrived in exactly the same time as a normal pass would have done.

Alan

That's impressive, but I'm most interested in hearing from contributors who have been in a similar situation to mine. See original question above.

Apparently Inch and I have similar QC records to yours and we haven't been penalised. If we can't satisfy you I can't see how any contributor can. Perhaps it's a question for MS.

You guys have much better QC records than mine by the sounds of it. Asking MS is a good suggestion, but I can predict what they will say.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has been in the slow queue and managed to "earn" his/her way back to shorter waiting periods -- i.e. I'm attempting to do some empirical research on this subject.

Apparently Inch and I have similar QC records to yours and we haven't been penalised. If we can't satisfy you I can't see how any contributor can. Perhaps it's a question for MS.

You guys have much better QC records than mine by the sounds of it. Asking MS is a good suggestion, but I can predict what they will say.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has been in the slow queue and managed to "earn" his/her way back to shorter waiting periods -- i.e. I'm attempting to do some empirical research on this subject.

Yep!!! i have been in this, and yes it is very possible; to work yourself out of this 28 day naughty corner. At the end of 2012 i failed many times, due to school exams being a higher priority. i was unable to check some images, i was just selecting random images and uploading without checking and failed (as i expected) in a row and was put in the infamous 28 day slow-mo lane.  (i still ask myself why did i do this? to this very day)  At the end of 2013 my QC turnaround time was 24 hours. i failed a coupe of times in 2013 (overall pass was 97%'ish) More you upload and dont fail will benefit your QC time, More you upload and fail will negatively impact your QC time  So it is very possible.   

Yep!!! i have been in this, and yes it is very possible; to work yourself out of this 28 day naughty corner. At the end of 2012 i failed many times, due to school exams being a higher priority. i was unable to check some images, i was just selecting random images and uploading without checking and failed (as i expected) in a row and was put in the infamous 28 day slow-mo lane.  (i still ask myself why did i do this? to this very day)  At the end of 2013 my QC turnaround time was 24 hours. i failed a coupe of times in 2013 (overall pass was 97%'ish) More you upload and dont fail will benefit your QC time, More you upload and fail will negatively impact your QC time  So it is very possible.   

Thanks. That's encouraging to hear. What is your current failure notification time (i.e. How long do you now have to spend in the "naughty corner?), if you don't mind my asking?

Yep!!! i have been in this, and yes it is very possible; to work yourself out of this 28 day naughty corner. At the end of 2012 i failed many times, due to school exams being a higher priority. i was unable to check some images, i was just selecting random images and uploading without checking and failed (as i expected) in a row and was put in the infamous 28 day slow-mo lane. (i still ask myself why did i do this? to this very day) At the end of 2013 my QC turnaround time was 24 hours. i failed a coupe of times in 2013 (overall pass was 97%'ish) More you upload and dont fail will benefit your QC time, More you upload and fail will negatively impact your QC time So it is very possible.

Thanks. That's encouraging to hear. What is your current failure notification time (i.e. How long do you now have to spend in the "naughty corner?), if you don't mind my asking?

anywhere from 2-4 days right now, unless QC is really busy like last week or the week before then its about a week

will be uploading another batch sometime this week, so i will see and if any faster i will report back.

- Failure time I've only failed twice, 1) mark on a image aka a bird flying way at back of photo small black dot like 200% 2) dust bunny cloud... this year notification time for me was just under two and a half weeks I think and that was about January when I last failed.

Nobody is perfect

Regards

A.P.

Yep!!! i have been in this, and yes it is very possible; to work yourself out of this 28 day naughty corner. At the end of 2012 i failed many times, due to school exams being a higher priority. i was unable to check some images, i was just selecting random images and uploading without checking and failed (as i expected) in a row and was put in the infamous 28 day slow-mo lane. (i still ask myself why did i do this? to this very day) At the end of 2013 my QC turnaround time was 24 hours. i failed a coupe of times in 2013 (overall pass was 97%'ish) More you upload and dont fail will benefit your QC time, More you upload and fail will negatively impact your QC time So it is very possible.
anywhere from 2-4 days right now, unless QC is really busy like last week or the week before then its about a week

will be uploading another batch sometime this week, so i will see and if any faster i will report back.

- Failure time I've only failed twice, 1) mark on a image aka a bird flying way at back of photo small black dot like 200% 2) dust bunny cloud... this year notification time for me was just under two and a half weeks I think and that was about January when I last failed.

Nobody is perfect

Regards

A.P.

I'm confused. You said that in 2012 you failed many times. Now you say that you have only failed twice. Guess I'm missing something. My QC failures have never had much of an effect on my turnaround time for submissions that pass QC. Recent subs have passed in less than 24 hours while my latest waiting period to hear about a failed image was over one month.

Totally agree with you about the de-motivational aspect of QC failure.It totally destroys your mojo. I haven't uploaded anything for months. It zapped my momentum so much that I can't trust my own pics anymore. 

Archived