It is.

It's also a shame that - given her clear repentance and (who am I to doubt?) stated ignorance of the understanding of 'fair use' and how, when and where that applies - she had to get sued when there are plenty of clear commercial users who will happily rip you off without a second thought.

That said, she has put her own hands up and said "guilty", taken the rap, and (the bonus), blogged about it.  Education is a great thing!

I often refer this blog post to those who infringe my work (which is constantly) to try to educate them on intellectual property rights and how expensive it can be.  The other day, I found a person who had produced a kid's song using one of my images and found that it was also on 47,500 websites.  I am currently negotiating with the infringer.  

"Fair use" sometimes crops up in communications between the infringers and I and Carolyn Wright's blog on it is an interesting read for both sides http://www.photoattorney.com/the-fuss-about-fair-use/

It also appears that folk seem to think that there is an entity called Google Images as if Google has a database of images which are "free".  I then point out that Google is just a conduit to the websites where the images are published, mostly illegitimately and ALL images are copyrighted and are not free unless specifically stated so.  

Sheila

How does one contact a Pinterest user?  I can't find user's e-mail address

Fill in Pinterest's DMCA form.

Thanks Danny.  They ask for the URL to my own website, where the image appears.  The only place I have this image online is here at Alamy and of course it shows up on Google.  What can I provide for the URL?

Thanks Danny.  They ask for the URL to my own website, where the image appears.  The only place I have this image online is here at Alamy and of course it shows up on Google.  What can I provide for the URL?

IF the only place the image appears is here, then surely it will have the Alamy watermark?  However, you say that it also shows up on Google.  How?  Alamy currently restrict Google from loading contributors images.

Alamy have a Pinterest account and may have used your image there from whence it has been re-pinned?  Maybe check it out with Alamy first?

People that use Pinterest think the photos are free for the taking. It's like an easier for of Flickr.

Thru the tons of photographers and artists I've queried,none have gotten a client or made a sale they can attribute from having their images there.

However,I feel Pinterest is great if you have a real retail product to sell.

L

If the image appears on Google is it possible it was licensed by a client and Google indexed it from there? Google will show you the website where the image appears. If it's no longer there you can often check their cache.

When I filed a DMCA complaint I provided the url to the image on my personal site as well as on Alamy. Presuming your pseudonym is similar to your real name the Alamy link should be sufficient.

IF the only place the image appears is here, then surely it will have the Alamy watermark?  However, you say that it also shows up on Google.  How?  Alamy currently restrict Google from loading contributors images.

Alamy have a Pinterest account and may have used your image there from whence it has been re-pinned?  Maybe check it out with Alamy first?

Alamy is not the only place where the image appears.  It was purchased through Alamy.  Appears on Alamy's client's website and the Pinterest user took it from there.  I do no have it on my personal website though.

Archived