For those of you who are new - some insights

Morning all

OK, the insights are not from me but a friend of mine sent me this video over last night. Was watching/ listening this morning as I was keywording. Thought that some folks on here might find it interesting if they are just dabbling with this and not doing it full-time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't believe I watched the whole thing—but I did, almost two hours. Lots of little interesting tips that would fly by. But the first third to half was just a self-serving history of Mr. Wells's life's work, a long PR portfolio disguised as a lesson. The problem is the world he is displaying does not exist anymore; no one in that room is going to be able to go out and start a career as a newspaper or magazine photojournalist. You think I'm wrong? Call up the Chicago Sun Times and ask how you might join their photographic department. 

The other important lesson Wells is (unintentionally) teaching here is: when there's no longer enough real work in your field, you teach. 

• 1 month later...

Table Top Tripod

Other than a portrait shoot a couple of years ago, I can't remember the last time I used a tripod. But the examples David Wells showed of using a table top tripod against a wall, pole... for long exposure photos got me thinking.

Some pricing info mentioned when he brings up 148 Uses for a Photo seems rather optimistic.

thanks for posting the link to the BH photo video, jools. I've attended some excellent Event Space classes.

I can't believe I watched the whole thing—but I did, almost two hours. Lots of little interesting tips that would fly by. But the first third to half was just a self-serving history of Mr. Wells's life's work, a long PR portfolio disguised as a lesson. The problem is the world he is displaying does not exist anymore; no one in that room is going to be able to go out and start a career as a newspaper or magazine photojournalist. You think I'm wrong? Call up the Chicago Sun Times and ask how you might join their photographic department. 

The other important lesson Wells is (unintentionally) teaching here is: when there's no longer enough real work in your field, you teach. 

Ed, being a New Yorker, you are probably familiar with the Woody Allan's (via Bernard Shaw) quote about teaching. I believe it goes something like this:

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. And those who can't do anything teach PE."

It's cynical of course. There are many excellent teachers. Woody obviously just didn't like PE in school (neither did I), but there is some truth to it.

Euh, for non-Americans, what is PE?

Cheers,

Philippe

Guess would be Physical Education. When I was at school, it used to be called either sport or exercise. But that was a long time ago, and we live in enlightened times now, or do we?

Ken

Archived