Editing on a windows laptop?

I usually use a dual monitor setup at home with fairly big screens so I can zap all those pesky birds, but I will be working abroad for a possible 2 yrs without access to by home PC, so my questions are...

Do the members think it will be feasible to edit on a windows laptop in a cramped space and have a chance of getting the quality right for Alamy QC? (I do ok with QC with y normal workflow), or, should I stockpile my images until I return?

I won't have good, or frequent internet access either.

I am sure it is possible, biggest handicap will be screen size. I suspect the workflow will be much slower just because the small screen will require more more movement to see everything at 100%.

Also, the type of lcd matters, generally IPS screens are preferred for picture editing but I don't know if those ate available in laptops or not.

I edit on a 17" windows laptop without too much trouble...my current QC fiasco had nothing to do with the laptop. :unsure:

You might find a 15" laptop a bit cramped but doable. 

FYI - My laptop is an Entertainment PC with HD monitor and upgraded video.

It all comes down to system speciation of the laptop, its determined by your budget. I use a laptop, it's very possible. to me it's more practical than a desktop, I have more power than top spec macintosh and most windows desktops.

Right now I'm overclocked to 4.8GHZ if it wasn't for the cooling i would overclock a lot more :D

If you want Internet access, just get a dongle or a phone (most phones do) which supportes tethering and buy a local SIM card and use that as your Internet. (Same way as you do at home or wherever)

Just make sure you get an IPS screen. My 5 yrs old tiny (but horribly expensive) Sony Vaio had one. My current netbook doesn't and getting the luminosity right would be a nightmare. The Sony was perfect though. It was calibrated and I had a small Wacom Bamboo tablet to use on the road. I have used a 17" Macbook on the road as well, with a full size Intuos, and it helps having that extra space on screen if you have to work on it for a longer period of time. The quality of the Sony screen was at least as good.

Try to get a 17" if you can at all fit it in. Plus a tablet of course. Calibrate it! Even when it's an Apple or if it says on the box you do not have to calibrate it: you must. Most systems now are set up way to bright to make the colors pop in the store so people will buy them (iMacs!). It's like an arms race of brightness. 

wim

So far I have only edited on a 13in and a calibrated 17in HD laptop for news. As I do very little post-production I would see no reason, for what I do, against submitting laptop edited images; adjust histogram, rotate and crop and clean any dust is about all I do. Any that needed more would wait until I got home and could use my dual monitor workstation.

I do use a laptop for storage, keywording,renaming and selecting when on the road. I also upload small (600px on longest side) to my blogs and the like.

My laptops use Windows 7 and 8. I have had images published that I uploaded from them, not necessarily by Alamy though.

Thanks for the input guys.

My move won't be photography related as such, and I will be on the move constantly working very long days.

I think I might have to invest in a better laptop (that might have been my reason for the questions, as I have a POS one at the moment), and as I have fairly simple workflow, similar to Martins I may not do too badly.

I just have to investigate IPS screens now, and I will take my fairly unused bamboo tablet with me, thanks Wiskereke.

My wife will be staying in the UK for a while before joining me, so maybe I should train her up on keywording!

Archived