Sharing an idea for removing dust bunnies in sky

I just started experimenting with an idea to use "threshold" adjustment in PS (I have CS4) for removing large 'dust bunny' sky blobs that are hard to see.

I don't know how well this method would work on small spots in the sky, but I think this is an effective way of locating and removing subtle dust bunnies from skies.

I make a "New Adjustment Layer" with "Threshold"     ie New Adjustment Layer on your image > Threshold

In the layers pallet, the threshold adjustment graph and slider appears. I move the slider so the sky appears totally white in that layer. Then I gradually move the slider slowly as to see lots of dark speckles that begin to fill in the sky. At the edge of the advance of those speckles, dust bunnies will soon appear as rather dark globs.

Every time I see one of those globs, I then click on the background image layer and simply  clone them out. Then back to the threshold layer, and continue to advance that line, repeating the process when other dust bunnies appear. Seems to clear up the sky beautifully for me.

Just thought I'd share that in case it may help others. of course cleaning the sensor would help too :)

Lightroom 5 (might have been in 4) has a new tool called "Visualize Spots".  It's an option under the "Spot Removal" tool.  Turn it on and you get a B&W view with spots in white.  No more sliding an enlarged view around, the spots just glow as very distinctive doughnut shaped circles.

Not saying you should not look at everything 1:1 but for dust spots this tool is simply amazing.

Lightroom 5 (might have been in 4) has a new tool called "Visualize Spots".  It's an option under the "Spot Removal" tool.  Turn it on and you get a B&W view with spots in white.  No more sliding an enlarged view around, the spots just glow as very distinctive doughnut shaped circles.

Not saying you should not look at everything 1:1 but for dust spots this tool is simply amazing.

+1

Have to agree.  I used to use Philippe's technique, but the LR5 tool is a blessing.  I will still enlarge to 100% to double-check and back to normal view at 100% if I'm having a really OCD day, :) but I find that Visualize Spots generally works extremely well.

Being very optimistic, is there any feature similar to "Visualize Spots" in Photoshop's CS5?

I do hope to give the LR method a try when I get a copy. For now, I am finding this Threshold technique in PS seems a lot easier and more accurate than simply zooming to 100% and scrolling as I had been accustomed too. The threshold layer does render the image B&W, The slider gradually shows ALL spots in the sky starkly as very dark spots. I took an image and added the ever so slightest marks scattered about, and they all popped up wonderfully. So w/o LR for now, I'm hoping some one else may try my technique in PS and let me know what they think.

Being very optimistic, is there any feature similar to "Visualize Spots" in Photoshop's CS5?

Not as such but there are lots of ways of making dust spots visible in Photoshop. I'm not that keen on the visualise spots method or indeed the threshold method suggested by MMiller because they both make the image black and white. I think it is far better to do any cloning or healing in colour ( or risk making mistakes), assuming one is working in colour in the first place.

I wouldn't race out and buy Lightroom 5 just for this feature. Photoshop can do the same or similar far better than Lightroom can and it is much faster for scooting around an image because of better graphics. The cloning and healing tools in Photoshop are still way better than those in Lightroom. Photoshop also has a ruler so you can find the spots again on different images easily.

My preferred method is to use a curves adjustment layer and modify the curves for different parts of the image. For example, a light coloured sky will simply need to be darkened overall to bring up any spots. A high contrast s-curve will bring up spots on a darker blue sky. It's also a good idea to make a note of the coordinates of the locations of any spots for quick finding. 

EDIT: Just to add, visualise spots in LR is undoubtedly very useful if one doesn't use Photoshop at all. I think the only real advantage of spotting in Lightroom is that it is non-destructive and doesn't modify the original image. But I don't tend to want to keep the dust spots in any case. 

+1 for curves layer for shadows. For skies/light tones I simply use a black overlay layer. Final check can be done with a layer set to high USM values which will pop out any difficult to find bunnies (usually oil being a Canon shooter).

The visualise spots tool in LR is ok for obvious spots but I've found misses spots which other methods find, even in an even tone sky. I never use it for the reasons mentioned above, the tools in CC are far better IME.

My favorite method in CS5:

New adjustment layer: Photo filter

Change blend mode to: Linear burn

If its too dark Lower Opacity.

Never fails me. ;)

Not very impressed with Lightroom's Visualise thingy, misses lots and also throws up false hits.

Archived