Choose a camera so that my pictures pass quality control at the alamy

Just now, M.Chapman said:

No those are both film cameras (not digital). May I suggest you need to spend some time learning more about photography and cameras (books and online resources). Given the large gaps in your knowledge, it will be more efficient than asking questions in a forum like this.

Mark

Agreed

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

No those are both film cameras (not digital). May I suggest you need to spend some time learning more about photography and cameras (books and online resources). Given the large gaps in your knowledge, it will be more efficient than asking questions in a forum like this.

Yes of course Mark. I need to study all this. But how do I choose a camera now? How to distinguish film from digital? Maybe you can give me links to eBay to buy an acceptable camera? I'm sorry to take up your time, but please provide links to ebay to buy an acceptable camera in the range of 200 - 250 dollars. There are also cameras on eBay that are not fully functional. I could very easily be wrong. And I won't be able to figure it out. Please take the time to give me links to acceptable cameras on eBay

Dionis,

In my original post I tried to point out the size of the mountain you are trying to climb.

It's not easy.

If you are realy interested, go and seek out your local professional photographers and news outlets, talk to them about becoming a photographer. Sit down with them over a coffee, if you can get them to pay for the coffee you may have some of the soft skills a photographer needs!

If you can get hold of a good camera phone, take pictures and submit them to your local news. A big storm, a traffic jam, a silly sign, whatever, it just needs to be an interesting subject. Keep at it.  These pictures do not have to be to Alamy standards, just sharp, well lit and properly composed. Learn photography and then come to Alamy. Even then most photographers use Alamy to fill in their spare time and it's not their main outlet.

Good luck and all the best.

15 minutes ago, Dionis said:

Yes of course Mark. I need to study all this. But how do I choose a camera now? How to distinguish film from digital? Maybe you can give me links to eBay to buy an acceptable camera? I'm sorry to take up your time, but please provide links to ebay to buy an acceptable camera in the range of 200 - 250 dollars. There are also cameras on eBay that are not fully functional. I could very easily be wrong. And I won't be able to figure it out. Please take the time to give me links to acceptable cameras on eBay

Hi Dionis. What we are suggesting is, learn more before rushing out to buy a camera. If you're asking basic questions like this, you're not ready yet. I've never heard of the Canon EOS 850, I just Googled it, it said it was an SLR 35mm film camera.

I don't think anyone is going to want to recommend a particular camera link on Ebay to you, we can't guarantee what you're going to get! We can provide advice on your proposals. But really, learn more. Get some camera magazines, books, look at YouTube videos.

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 3

Something like ths: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305687685506?epid=193917146&itmmeta=01J3HZJ2757TNAP6QKZW18NV1B&hash=item472c67e982:g:q7AAAOSwwq5mnrkj&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4CmncJeOAGOJWevOm7mK5uRPCv%2ByGtf3a%2BhmgVGxl%2BMxeN8J3NOprivDbrcNLczs7pmGAuh9b8XwaN1vkUqf6GOkqANmLc3aIeDmU7Qnmm8IHH2Bsh3Ctp5zTJBxtp58VSAkG5UC5GSPQVHh29js%2FM%2B3zHcxjmDTEZ9deDBvoJ4T9Rew8UkU%2FBmh15Ki2syfrNrx7CsQzIfLaL8kIh2EsxJ3EDNoQAQDgFzRo7MrQ5FfhFXYcNw%2BgkBXTdgRhR5VZh06DBlWz127HydshhItSKmUdof9%2Bn6%2BD0NOdybeCHF8|tkp%3ABk9SR9SjyL-cZA

It shows the shutter count as 7407 which is low. It means the user has only taken 7407 pictures with it. I would get one with an 18-55 Nikon zoom lens. Search eBay for Nikon 3300. With Nikon cameras it is easy to tell if they are digital or film. The digital ones will have D in front for DSLRs - so Nikon D3300. As far as I know, Canon DSLRs have the D after the name so Canon20D for example (my first digital camera until I went back to Nikon and have never looked back). Best to only buy from a seller who accepts returns. 

Edited by MDM

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

Something like ths: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305687685506?epid=193917146&itmmeta=01J3HZJ2757TNAP6QKZW18NV1B&hash=item472c67e982:g:q7AAAOSwwq5mnrkj&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4CmncJeOAGOJWevOm7mK5uRPCv%2ByGtf3a%2BhmgVGxl%2BMxeN8J3NOprivDbrcNLczs7pmGAuh9b8XwaN1vkUqf6GOkqANmLc3aIeDmU7Qnmm8IHH2Bsh3Ctp5zTJBxtp58VSAkG5UC5GSPQVHh29js%2FM%2B3zHcxjmDTEZ9deDBvoJ4T9Rew8UkU%2FBmh15Ki2syfrNrx7CsQzIfLaL8kIh2EsxJ3EDNoQAQDgFzRo7MrQ5FfhFXYcNw%2BgkBXTdgRhR5VZh06DBlWz127HydshhItSKmUdof9%2Bn6%2BD0NOdybeCHF8|tkp%3ABk9SR9SjyL-cZA

It shows the shutter count as 7407 which is low. It means the user has only taken 7407 pictures with it. I would get one with an 18-55 Nikon zoom lens. Search eBay for Nikon 3300. With Nikon cameras it is easy to tell if they are digital or film. The digital ones will have D in front for DSLRs - so Nikon D3300. As far as I know, Canon DSLRs have the D after the name so Canon20D for example (my first digital camera until I went back to Nikon and have never looked back). Best to only buy from a seller who accepts returns. 

Thanks a lot MDM)

1 hour ago, Dionis said:

Just saw this. I would buy the camera and lens together with the D3300 or similar as they came in a kit in the first place. I bought one for my son some years ago and he still has it so I know it's a good camera. The one you linked to has a shutter count of over 29000 so not that high but the lower the better all things considered. 

On 23/07/2024 at 09:58, Steve F said:

Mirrorless is better. Camera will be smaller, will have newer technology, less moving parts so less chance of things going wrong in theory. Need to take into account the sensor size and lens that comes with any camera you look at though vs any other options you are considering.

A pedantic point perhaps but this is not necessarily true any more. Have you seen a Nikon Z9 - it's a monster (1,340g with battery). Even the Z8 is fairly hefty (over 900g). The prosumer mirrorless Nikons are smaller (around 700g). The Canon pro cameras are also on the large side. Sony has continued to make their pro bodies small though but once you stick a 1-2kg lens on one of these it probably makes little difference. 

Edited by MDM

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

A pedantic point perhaps but this is not necessarily true any more. Have you seen a Nikon Z9 - it's a monster (1,340g with battery). Even the Z8 is fairly hefty (over 900g). The prosumer mirrorless Nikons are smaller (around 700g). The Canon pro cameras are also on the large side. Sony has continued to make their pro bodies small though but once you stick a 1-2kg lens on one of these it probably makes little difference. 

Hah, thanks for that, no I haven't kept up with the latest models. There have been a few complaints about the grip size for the Sony cameras, but they are small indeed. 

Dionis, do you realize that your time-effort will be paid less than high school kids make on a variety of least-paid jobs during the summer break? But even to start making money on Alamy (even those pathetic 20% which they pay to Silver contributors) you need to have ~1000 saleable/competitive images. I am not sure this business will still be alive by that time. Your $200 are going to be a loss, not an investment. To the contrary, if you are interested in photography per se rather than in making money from a stock, you should seek information/support from other sources, and there is no reason to make your images to Alamy standards. My best advice to new folks trying to enter photo stock from the ground level, including my own kids, is “do not do this”.

Edited by IKuzmin
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

Dionis, do you realize that your time-effort will be paid less than high school kids make on a variety of least-paid jobs during the summer break? But even to start making money on Alamy (even those pathetic 20% which they pay to Silver contributors) you need to have ~1000 saleable/competitive images. I am not sure this business will still be alive by that time. Your $200 are going to be a loss, not an investment. To the contrary, if you are interested in photography per se rather than in making money from a stock, you should seek information/support from other sources, and there is no reason to make your images to Alamy standards. My best advice to new folks trying to enter photo stock from the ground level, including my own kids, is “do not do this”.

This is true for sure and realistic advice if the $200 is considered as an investment with the expectation of fast returns from Alamy. However, I think learning photography is a very worthwhile investment of one's time and money (within reason). Sure there are far better places to learn photography. I often say the same thing to newbies here. But there is no harm in giving Dionis advice on the type of camera to buy within that budget. And you never know - there may be opportunites in Georgia for saleable photos. 

Edited by MDM

33 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

Thank you for expressing your position IKuzmin. I would like to answer that I like to take photographs and at the same time it would be nice to make money from it. I hoped that I would succeed in something on the stock photos) As the saying goes, attempt is not torture) Of course, it would be a pity if I didn’t succeed.

2 hours ago, Dionis said:

Thank you for expressing your position IKuzmin. I would like to answer that I like to take photographs and at the same time it would be nice to make money from it. I hoped that I would succeed in something on the stock photos) As the saying goes, attempt is not torture) Of course, it would be a pity if I didn’t succeed.

Buying the camera is not the only expense - read some of the discussions about computers, monitors, software before you put any money into stock.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dionis said:

If that's what you want to do then have a crack at it. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Good luck

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Martin L said:

If that's what you want to do then have a crack at it. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Good luck

Thank you Martin)

3 hours ago, Dionis said:

50 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Good luck

Definitely. In my opinion, the most important thing is to love what you do first and if you can make money out of it that's even better. Given the state of stock photography and the ever greater threat from generative AI to many areas of photography, it might be a pipe dream but there might be other opportunities if Dionis learns the art/craft well in the first place. Yeah best of luck and ignore the doubters Dionis. 

Edited by MDM

11 hours ago, Dionis said:

Certainly it will be easier and more fun to learn about photography if you have a camera to experiment with.  If you buy a low cost secondhand camera (e.g. on eBay), if it doesn't work out, you can always sell it again and you won't lose too much money. To find a suitable camera to learn with that is also likely to be OK for Alamy, type "digital camera" into eBay search box. Then down the left hand side I suggest ticking the following boxes

Type: Tick Digital SLR

Maximum Resolution: Tick resolutions above 12MP

Optical zoom: Tick up to 3x

Manufacturer: Tick Nikon (for the logical reasons stated by MDM)

Features: Tick Interchangeable lenses

Price: Enter your Max price limit

Buying format: Tick Buy it Now (to avoid auction disappointments and to have your price limit applied correctly)

Location: Suggest selecting your home country only (to avoid extra shipping and customs costs and make it easier to converse with seller if needed)

From the results select camera(s) that come with battery(s), charger, memory card and a Nikon lens (something like 18-55mm is typical)

READ THE FULL DESCRIPTION FROM THE BUYER - DOES IT STATE THE CAMERA IS FULLY WORKING!! 

Check they have sold multiple items before (i.e. experienced seller)

Check Sellers Rating and feedback as seller (Don't buy from anyone with less than 99% rating)

Check the seller has included good photos of the items for sale

Check they accept returns

If you find some possible cameras, you can post the URLs here for others to check for you.

If you do decide to buy, use eBay's payment system and, if needed, converse with the seller via eBay's messaging system (NOT DIRECT EMAIL)

Before buying I often send a message with a question to the seller to check they respond sensibly.

Good luck

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

Great positive advice Mark

And don't forget to check the shutter count. 

Edited by MDM

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

Great positive advice Mark

And don't forget to check the shutter count. 

Thanks. I've bought and sold all my gear via eBay and never had a problem.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

This one (D3300) is a newer model although I can't remember what the differences are between them. They went up to D3500 before Nikon stopped making them. Shutter count is 7598 if I'm reading that correctly. I don't know about shipping and how much that would cost if the seller even does that overseas. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235655291305?itmmeta=01J3K6F861SXJMB2PFY21167HR&hash=item36de2661a9:g:E9IAAOSwM-tmll-n&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4I3AT6%2F6VLnUUVg0zpxtHslXntpm4YPlPwYHgjieS%2BF3PHveLbKAx9N9%2BQXa0cBB4I5yS4IbcLIIN1P4%2F7ikr8e1sf43PVT7KbUsvGyaO0CPBJ4PGNrz1Ue6eGy%2BU47U0XKj2eQ8KsgNbm%2FykmfrVlh7lMplou56ftmSfwIPXA33EpVCxjnf35TA781SPZJUxfpdmwxjgOGTEbQCW%2B%2BX4uUMgDXIjSNYlo%2BvmrsssiyrNYUHbjuRk0odYPk0jOs8HacwyfszAbINEiS2kLhlzny%2FKJELFocTW5fdb8DtoQTY|tkp%3ABk9SR4yDveacZA

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, Gervais Montacute said:

Just out of interest have you ever taken photographs on a camera before? And if so, what camera did you use? I would save up another 3 to 400 dollars or more if possible and come back then.

I didn’t take pictures with a camera, I only took pictures with my smartphone)

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Definitely. In my opinion, the most important thing is to love what you do first and if you can make money out of it that's even better. Given the state of stock photography and the ever greater threat from generative AI to many areas of photography, it might be a pipe dream but there might be other opportunities if Dionis learns the art/craft well in the first place. Yeah best of luck and ignore the doubters Dionis. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement MDM)

11 minutes ago, MDM said:

That looks good too - But seller's postage options only shows UK, but there's no harm in asking 🙂

The URL I quoted posts to many overseas places, but not all.

Mark