Anybody used Reikan Focal to calibrate their lenses. I have been looking at it to do my lenses and would appreciate some feedback before paying out. Thanks in advance.

Andy.

I have it and it does the job well.  I've been debating whether to get the latest version - it still works with my trusty Nikon D7200s so I haven't updated it since my 'free updates' period expired back in 2021 but no doubt there has been new features added since then.  I must check.

I found all my lenses needed some adjustment, mostly minor and you would be hard put to notice any difference without the chart.  I have three D7200 bodies and one of them needed slightly more adjustment than the other two, on all the lenses.

One lens was way out and it made a noticable difference with that one.  Another lens, (18-300, bought new) was very unsharp, beyond the maximum adjustment available and couldn't be adjusted.  It was still under warranty so I sent it back to Nikon to be re-calibrated but it wasn't much improved so I sold it.

With my camera & lenses there is only one adjustment available for each lens, so on zoom lenses there is a problem.  There's usually a different reading when fully zoomed in or fully out, so you have to decide which one to use.  I compromise and split the difference.  I think some Canon lenses have more than one calibration point available and no doubt this will be the case for more recent cameras and lenses but I don't know for certain and have no intention of buying any more gear in the forceable future!

Hope that helps.

Posted (edited)

The general consensus is that mirrorless cameras don't need lens calibration whereas DSLRs might but it depends on who you're listening to. If you are having issues with obtaining sharp autofocus, all else being equal, then calibration might be the answer. I've never calibrated any lens, DSLR or mirrorless and I've never had an issue (apart from a brand new expensive independent 70-200 lens that couldn't be calibrated by any method and went straight back to the shop and swapped for a Nikkor which never needed calibration). 

Edited by MDM

48 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

my main weapon is a Canon 7D Mk ii paired with a 70-200 F2/8 .

That could be lethal. Best to just use it as a camera - also better for the autofocus system 😎

11 minutes ago, MDM said:

That could be lethal. Best to just use it as a camera - also better for the autofocus system 😎

😁

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/S07MHE/hunting-with-the-right-equipement-gone-hunting!-S07MHE.jpg

Arthur Gebuys / S*o here on Alamy

A whole page on Petapixel here (2014).

Very few on Alamy actually. Maybe because photographers are so poor now that they need to use their phone to take a picture of their camera?

wim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

😁

Arthur Gebuys / S*o here on Alamy

A whole page on Petapixel here (2014).

Very few on Alamy actually. Maybe because photographers are so poor now that they need to use their phone to take a picture of their camera?

wim

Funny thing. I woke up this morning from a dream where there was a crazy guy attacking me with a tripod (really). Then I had a Crocodile Dundee moment when I got hold of my tripod - "call that a tripod" -  his was tiny and mine was rather large - he ran off and then I woke up. No idea what it signifiies. 🤣

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Its a great combination for sports which I do allot for my local GAA club, but heavy!!.A monopod helps and doubles up as a poking stick.

Andy.

I'm getting homesick. 😀

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Funny thing. I woke up this morning from a dream where there was a crazy guy attacking me with a tripod (really). Then I had a Crocodile Dundee moment when I got hold of my tripod - "call that a tripod" -  his was tiny and mine was rather large - he ran off and then I woke up. No idea what it signifiies. 🤣

Stop sniffing the sensor cleaner?

33 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Stop sniffing the sensor cleaner?

I neither drink nor sniff alcohol so not that. 

As a bit of a feedback, I did download the software (Not the full pro version). Found it easy to use and solved a soft focusing issue on 1 lens after calibration.

Andy.

• Thanks 2