Photos taken in Australia How well do they sell

Alexander Hogg

Question

Just wondered how well photos taken in Australia sell ie Tamborine mountains city centre locations or is is not somewhere that gets a lot  of attention for clients 

I have seen different shots have sold from others on here but wondered on different peoples experience Any info would be helpful 

Edited by Alexander Hogg
Changed part of a comment

21 answers to this question

I don't have a big portfolio, nor do I travel around Aus like Gen. In my limited experience it's Australian plants, rainforest and wildlife which are most popular. Scenes of Tamborine Mountain sell occasionally, as does Gold Coast.

I have thousands of old slides from all over the world (all scanned), spanning about 60 years, but I don't think any would pass Alamy QC.

Why do you ask?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sandi said:

I don't have a big portfolio, nor do I travel around Aus like Gen. In my limited experience it's Australian plants, rainforest and wildlife which are most popular. Scenes of Tamborine Mountain sell occasionally, as does Gold Coast.

I have thousands of old slides from all over the world (all scanned), spanning about 60 years, but I don't think any would pass Alamy QC.

Why do you ask?

I was in Australia last year but didn't get as many shots as I would have liked and just wondered how they would do 

You may well do better in appealing to the tourist market, as you've seen the country through overseas eyes. My stuff is just what interests me most - I enjoy identifying the things I photograph.

• Thanks 1

Alamy is a UK based company and as such a lot of the imagery that sells well on it is UK imagery. But I have sold shots taken in other countries like South Korea, USA and France. Images of locations in Australia will be of interest to the travel market though. If you have the images already, I would say just upload them and see how they do. All you have to lose is the time you spent keywording and writing titles.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Alamy is a UK based company and as such a lot of the imagery that sells well on it is UK imagery. But I have sold shots taken in other countries like South Korea, USA and France. Images of locations in Australia will be of interest to the travel market though. If you have the images already, I would say just upload them and see how they do. All you have to lose is the time you spent keywording and writing titles.

The images are uploaded so I'll wait and see what happens  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandi said:

Why do you ask?

Have you considered the Archive submission option?

I've been 5 years full time on the road in Australia now and have taken all sorts of photos. In my experience, what sells for me are beaches first, followed  by wildlife and popular tourist attractions.

I am not a good thermometer of the market though as I not a town person and am rarely in one. No chance to spot me on the Gold Coast 😁  I imagine city shots sell better.

What does not sell is the Outback. Too bad, that's what I love.

Bear in mind that Australia is a very small market. My Australian  portfolio mainly sells to Australia (with licenses including New-Zealand), UK and USA.

Edited by gvallee
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alexander Hogg said:

how well photos taken in Australia sell ie Tamborine...

Learn how to use "%" in All-of-Alamy search functions...

Australia, very well AFAICT, from personal results since me 2015 2014 Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne itinerary;

[(1) AU license this month]

Specifically %Tamborine%, not well according to 1-yr All-of-Alamy search:

(but that don't mean

whilst in Tamborine
500 other things

won't be seen...)

Search Term : 
Results per page:  20 50 100  Page 1 of 1 Go to page:   < Previous |   Next >
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I've been 5 years full time on the road in Australia now and have taken all sorts of photos. In my experience, what sells for me are beaches first, followed  by wildlife and popular tourist attractions.

I am not a good thermometer of the market though as I not a town person and am rarely in one. No chance to spot me on fhe Gold Coast 😁  I imagine city shots sell better.

What does not sell is the Outback. Too bad, that's what I love.

Bear in mind that Australia is a very small market. My Australian  portfolio mainly sells to Australia (with licenses including New-Zealand), UK and USA.

Thanks You have answered very well and did have a feeling about a limited market 

14 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Australia, very well AFAICT, from personal results since me 2015 Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne itinerary;

Specifically %Tamborine%, not well according to All-of-Alamy search:

(but that don't mean

whilst in Tamborine
500 other things

won't be seen...)

Search Term : 

I do use it occasionally but also wanted first hand experience about it as well for the advice I appreciate it 

7 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

True enough but Alamy has an office in Brisbane though. Probably a one person working from home type of thing but operating nonetheless.

46 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Australia, very well AFAICT, from personal results since me 2015 Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne itinerary;

Specifically %Tamborine%, not well according to All-of-Alamy search:

(but that don't mean

whilst in Tamborine
500 other things

won't be seen...)

Search Term : 

What type of Australian images have you licensed most Jeff?

22 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Have you considered the Archive submission option?

Not seriously. It would take an inordinate amount of time to do a worthwhile number. If you are looking for something to do.........................

Just to clarify.. Tamborine Mountain gets up to 2 million visitors a year. We avoid as many as we can. Our backyard is part avo orchard, part remnant rainforest, Tamborine is a residential village at the base of the mountain, not really on any tourist trail. Gold Coast is now a large city with a population of 742,000. The daggy tourist bits can easily be avoided.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sandi said:

Not seriously. It would take an inordinate amount of time to do a worthwhile number. If you are looking for something to do.........................

Just to clarify.. Tamborine Mountain gets up to 2 million visitors a year. We avoid as many as we can. Our backyard is part avo orchard, part remnant rainforest, Tamborine is a residential village at the base of the mountain, not really on any tourist trail. Gold Coast is now a large city with a population of 742,000. The daggy tourist bits can easily be avoided.

Sure thing. If you let me own the copyright! 🫣

• Like 1

Hi Alexander,

With my small number of images and short time here I'm not a great representative example. But what has licensed has been outdoor images that can be used for travel-oriented material. I was with Alamy previously in 2020-2021. It was much the same then. So it's been things like beaches and walking and cycle trails. Back then I also remember an urban image licensing for a book and one of people at a van buying items at a community fair. My highest licensing image was for a macro shot of lichen on a tree! Certainly when I have seen Alamy images in publications here in Australia they have been nearly all travel-oriented, such as in magazines or newspapers with a travel section.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2024 at 09:36, Alexander Hogg said:

Just wondered how well photos taken in Australia sell ie Tamborine mountains city centre locations or is is not somewhere that gets a lot  of attention for clients 

I have seen different shots have sold from others on here but wondered on different peoples experience Any info would be helpful 

When you consider the airfare and the possibility of being attacked by a carnivorous koala bear, maybe not.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

When you consider the airfare and the possibility of being attacked by a carnivorous koala bear, maybe not.

When I was looking at accommodation and travelling the UK for 3 weeks it worked out going to Australia was £2,500 more approx Does depend on what you want to do There is some tours I wouldn't do there as it's really expensive around £20,000 for a couple (Adelaide to Darwin) Return Do agree 

• Like 1