Standard licenses and morale?

geogphotos

Question

This is getting me DOWN.

Giving SO much away for SO little.

I'm usually a keen, positive Alamy chappie but it is getting hard to see the positives in all this.........

Usage: Standard, Standard License for 1 user only. Allowed usage: across websites, social media, short-form video on video sharing sites, digital publishing, digital marketing, and print runs up to 100,000. Restrictions stated prior to or at time of purchase may limit the scope of permissible usage.
Start: 11 April 2024
Duration: In perpetuity
$ 5.52
Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Who thinks that the introduction of Standard Licences will increase their Alamy income? Anybody?

Who thinks that it will it increase Alamy's profit? If so, please explain.

I cant answer those questions, somone in Alamy will think they know the answer...

What I have seen before is :

By customising licences the sales function can swop out features the customer does not need and therefore reduce the cost to the customer and secure a sale by bargaining, some might say at any cost. This involves staff costs and skill, on both sides of the transaction.

Alternatively standardising licences "downskills"  both sales and buyer and secures a sale with an initially cheaper product. 

Either method is a valid way of controlling sales costs. Judgement is needed to decide whether to adopt on or the other method in whole or appply as dictated by the customer or market sectors. The success of either tactic depends on which is the better fit with the buyer. I think Alamy know their market.

Consideration to the product creator at point of sale per individual sale is not a factor.

🦔

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

Consideration to the product creator at point of sale per individual sale is not a factor.

🦔

I think we can all agree to that being true! 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

To see the standard licence pricing, I had to sign out of Alamy, close down browser, then reopen browser

Search Alamy see new pricing, as soon as you sign in, the old prices come back ?

1 hour ago, Cofiant said:

To see the standard licence pricing, I had to sign out of Alamy, close down browser, then reopen browser

Search Alamy see new pricing, as soon as you sign in, the old prices come back ?

"It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."

Arthur Dent as recounted by Mr Douglas Adams.

• Love 2

10 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Who thinks that the introduction of Standard Licences will increase their Alamy income? Anybody?

Who thinks that it will it increase Alamy's profit? If so, please explain.

Not unless there is a big increase in sales volume. Standard licenses are already decreasing my revenue as far as I can tell.😞

Can't speak for Alamy's profit. That's above my pay grade.

7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Another question is how do you get access to this Standard Licence.

I don't see it available when I look at image pricing?

You have to log out of Alamy and then do a search as an anonymous ("e-commerce") buyer. When you click on an image, the standard and enhanced licensing options are what you see rather than the old download options -- i.e. website, book, PU, etc. Make sure that you sign out of BOTH the forum AND the Alamy website first.

Edited by John Mitchell

12 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

You have to log out of Alamy and then do a search as an anonymous ("e-commerce") buyer. When you click on an image, the standard and enhanced licensing options are what you see rather than the old download options -- i.e. website, book, PU, etc. Make sure that you sign out of BOTH the forum AND the Alamy website first.

Let's hope the regular clients don't get wind of this.

wim

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Let's hope the regular clients don't get wind of this.

wim

Yes, well, it's an ill wind alright. The whole thing seems very inconsistent -- sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Guess I had better be quiet now. 🙊