What's with these TV Camera Angles?

Why on Earth are they placing the camera so we look up the talker's nose? 

I did portraits for 10 years and the only time I would go for that is if an actor wanted a shot where they looked like Dracula. 

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I did portraits for 10 years and the only time I would go for that is if an actor wanted a shot where they looked like Dracula. 

Maybe because the photographer or videographer doesn’t care much for the speaker? A subtle way of showing them at their worst.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Videographer maybe wearing a small action type camera (GoPro?) angled up a bit on their chest with a harness?   Not uncommon in some instances.

Edited by Phil

Could be DIY and there may not be a camera person involved. During lockdown there was a big move towards people being interviewed or even presenting live TV from their own homes using smartphones, tablets or laptops with the capture device seemingly placed on a desk in front of them. This seems to have become much more accepted for interviews and must be way cheaper than sending a TV crew. I see this a lot for football news. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

If I may step aside for a moment, I'd like to alert you all to a blogger chef who uses the looking-up tech but with a sense of humor. I'm referring to Stephen Cusato and Not Another Cooking Show. He's the only guy who seems to know the subtle tricks behind Rome's 4 famous pasta dishes.

Here he's doing Cacio e Pepe, a simple dish everyone outside of Rome gets wrong. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

If I may step aside for a moment, I'd like to alert you all to a blogger chef who uses the looking-up tech but with a sense of humor. I'm referring to Stephen Cusato and Not Another Cooking Show. He's the only guy who seems to know the subtle tricks behind Rome's 4 famous pasta dishes.

Here he's doing Cacio e Pepe, a simple dish everyone outside of Rome gets wrong. 

Looks like @MDM nailed it.

58 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Micheal is one of our most tech-savvy dudes, Russell. I shall try to relax, maybe make some pasta for lunch. 

That cacio e pepe does look good. 

Edited by Russell Watkins
unwanted autocorrect
  • Like 1