Live News unreported

Just now, M.Chapman said:

You're missing the point. Download does not equal usage

Mark

No I'm not missing the point. After 4 months, the system should alert non payment. Alamy contacts customer. Customer tells Alamy they didn't use the image or they pay up pronto. What don't I understand?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sultanpepa said:

No I'm not missing the point. After 4 months, the system should alert non payment. Alamy contacts customer. Customer tells Alamy they didn't use the image or they pay up pronto. What don't I understand?

I give up.

Mark

Newspapers also have hundreds or even thousands of downloaded images on their servers, sometimes kept from a previous use and only declare if and when they use them (either for the first time or as a repeat usage). It's a pattern I see quite often, that the same paper will use and pay for the same image again.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/02/2024 at 14:38, Lynchpics said:

I think the issue was with live news images being used but not being reported. 

Yes, I've finally got Alamy to understand that an image was published as a live news use in June 2023, and large, outside back page at that. If I hadn't spotted it myself they'd have got away with it.

44 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Yes, I've finally got Alamy to understand that an image was published as a live news use in June 2023, and large, outside back page at that. If I hadn't spotted it myself they'd have got away with it.

I have same with an image published as live news in The Express July 2023, despite filling in infringement details and follow up email I'm getting nowhere

17 hours ago, Paul Lawrenson said:

I have same with an image published as live news in The Express July 2023, despite filling in infringement details and follow up email I'm getting nowhere

I remember a time when Alamy would email me with a congratulations message and a screenshot of a live news image that they'd found in the following day's newspapers. Now it's the other way round, and a fight to get the message through.

18 hours ago, Paul Lawrenson said:

Don’t email the normal contributor team. Email the infringement team infringements@alamy.com who do understand the issue and should sort it for you.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2024 at 06:41, M.Chapman said:

Newspapers also have hundreds or even thousands of downloaded images on their servers, sometimes kept from a previous use and only declare if and when they use them (either for the first time or as a repeat usage). It's a pattern I see quite often, that the same paper will use and pay for the same image again.

Mark

If they're using them and not reporting them, the strategy they're taking is it's cheaper to pay the  $18 than to pay the original contracted price.  And this apparently has zero repercussions to them.

People are talking about print usage that's not reported, not downloads.   The photographer is seeing unreported pictures in print and reporting those. 

Killed stories are completely invisible, already.

On 02/03/2024 at 08:08, Sally said:

Don’t email the normal contributor team. Email the infringement team infringements@alamy.com who do understand the issue and should sort it for you.

I did and have done since they started the infringement team.

On 02/03/2024 at 07:22, Avpics said:

I remember a time when Alamy would email me with a congratulations message and a screenshot of a live news image that they'd found in the following day's newspapers. Now it's the other way round, and a fight to get the message through.

Yep, those were the days

On 09/02/2024 at 12:27, M.Chapman said:

I give up.

Mark

I know what you are getting at, as does Sultanpepa I'm sure, customer downloads an image doesn't quite fit the look they are going for and it is never used.

News is a whole different kettle of fish...