Infringement refund

2 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

unfortunately there are large chunks of this world where copyright is frequently ignored and where debt collection is problematic.

Which is why payment should be upfront, at least until a buyer has established some credibility. Maybe always in such countries.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Relying on publishers to self report usage of downloaded images contributes to these issues. It is common practice, and has created a few cases of non-payment for me that have never been resolved, both at Alamy and another agency. When publication has happened and payment has not, it should not be left to contributors to chase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

For clarity - this was an infringement.

Alamy never allowed or permitted download. 

Ah, sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote. I interpreted it as an infringement of Alamy's T&C, i.e. "pay for what you use" rather than an infringement of your copyright, e.g. by lifting your file from a legitimate buyer, or from Alamy with a watermark.

On 08/12/2023 at 10:58, spacecadet said:

My last one showed as 'cleared' immediately and paid out at month end- was yours different?

Yes, it never cleared.

The infringement fee appeared immediately but the infringer didn't want to pay! 

So, in the end the 'payment' ( which was never made) was changed to 'refunded'. 

Simply pointing out that the sight of an infringement fee doesn't necessarily mean that money is on the way ( not until it shows as cleared). 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1