ASCRL Summer Distribution 2023

Ace

Question

6 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Ace said:

Just recieved a payment to my account for

'ASCRL Summer Distribution 2023'

Any thoughts on what this might be please ?

TIA

Adrian 

It's the American version of DACS. It stands for American Society for Collective Rights Licensing INC.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VbFolly said:

It's the American version of DACS. It stands for American Society for Collective Rights Licensing INC.

To be pedantic. I don't think that it is actually a collecting society like DACS - I don't think that USA has such a thing. 

As fas as I am aware the only funds that ASCRL has it gets given by collecting societies in other countries.

So what it does is distribute money from DACS ( and others) for USA image uses. 

Quite what the justification of this is I don't know. 

We collect funds from foreign Collecting Societies.

ASCRL collects funds from foreign collecting societies. The societies are sometimes called collective management organizations (CMOs), or Reprographic Rights Organizations (RROs). The societies get funds because the laws of their respective countries require that they be paid for certain uses of visual work in their countries. Payments may be required where the use of visual work is legally permitted by the foreign country without an individual author's consent, or where it is legally permitted without an individual author's license, or where work is used under collective agreements in certain sectors. They sometimes come from legal uses of materials by educational institutions, state agencies, or foreign public television. Funds may also come from libraries lending books or from taxes, levies, or fees on copy machines, printers, or other equipment that is used for copying. The funds may be collected even though there may be no specific record of how any particular work was used, or if any particular author's works were used at all.

The foreign CMOs and RROs arrange for visual work copyright owners, including those in the United States, to receive a share. ASCRL, a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit Collective Management Organization, works together with the CMOs and RROs to assure that the United States rights owners are properly compensated from these funds. This includes authors and rights owners who are US citizens or who have works published in the United States.