Aircraft ID?

Alex Ramsay

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Looks like a Bristol Beaufighter to me.

Allan

Quite.

Those big fat Bristol Radial engines and the dihedral tail plane.

I wondered if the tail plane would identify the version. The early models were fitted with a 0 degree taiplane but adding bigger engines changed the center of gravity and affected stability, the solution was to tilt the tailpanes up by 12 degrees. I thought this might identify which model Beaufighter it is, but apparently the new tail was retrofitted to some early models. 

Safe to say it's rocket carrying though and definitely low level.

6 minutes ago, sooth said:

"Bristol Beaufighter TF.X Shown here are Beaufighters of Nos.236 and 404 Sqds attacking the 7,200 tonne (7,087 ton) Sperrbrecher (Mine Destructor) 7 (ex-Sauerland), off La Pallice, 12th August, 1944." https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/media/bristol-beaufighter-tf-x.4912/

That's interesting - I wonder where they found that. My original contact print was passed on to me by the son of the man who took it.

20 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Quite a picture. The beaufighters wingspan was just under 60ft so how high was he? Three and a half wingspans??

Conflict is abhorent but sadly fascinating.

On the film rebate is written the exact position (lat/long) and then the altitude which appears to read 1000/100 - your guess is as good as mine

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/article/the-mighty-beau/

When this Bristol Beaufighter of RAF Coastal Command caught the German mine-detecting ship Sauerland in the open in the North Sea, it hammered the enemy vessel with accurate fire.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/98206-rockets-red-glare/

A lot of variables are involved but even if the target is large and you are close as in this image, you still can miss

https://m.ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=25914

Caption     British Beaufighters of RAF 236 Squadron and RCAF 404 Squadron making a rocket attack on the heavily armed German mine detector ship Sauerland off La Pallice France, 12 Aug 1944. Photo 1 of 2 ww2dbase
Photographer     Unknown
Source     ww2dbaseImperial War Museum
More on...    
Beaufighter    Main article   Photos  
Normandy Campaign, Phase 2    Main article   Photos   Maps  
Photos in Series   See all photos in this series
Photos on Same Day   12 Aug 1944
Photos at Same Place   La Pallice, France
Added By   David Stubblebine

This photograph has been scaled down; full resolution photograph is available here (1,100 by 597 pixels).

Licensing   According to the United Kingdom National Archives, Crown copyright material that has been created prior to 1 Jun 1957 is considered to be in the public domain.

Please contact us regarding any inaccuracies with the above information. Thank you.

Big G has a different shot:

Royal Air Force 1939-1945: Coastal Command

Royal Air Force 1939-1945: Coastal Command, On 12 August 1944 the SAUERLAND, a heavily armed Sperrbrecher (mine-detector ship), was hit off La Pallice by Beaufighters of No 236 Squadron and a detachment from No 404 Squadron RCAF, both operating from Davidstow Moor. The ship was left floundering and later was finished off by the Royal Navy. The aircraft flying overhead in this photograph is reportedly that of Wing Commander Ken Gatward, the CO of No 404 Squadron and one of the RAF's leading anti-shipping 'aces', 12 August 1944. (Photo by HQ Coastal Command/ Imperial War Museums via G**** Images)

And that seems to have been lifted from (or is identical to and from the same source as):

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bristol_Beaufighter?uselang=ja#/media/File:The_German_mine-detecting_ship_SAUERLAND_being_attacked_off_La_Pallice_in_France_by_RAF_Bristol_Beaufighters,_12_August_1944._C4546.jpg

The German mine-detecting ship SAUERLAND being attacked off La Pallice in France by RAF Bristol Beaufighters, 12 August 1944. The ship was later finished off by the Royal Navy. On 12 August 1944 the SAUERLAND, a heavily armed Sperrbrecher (mine-detector ship), was hit off La Pallice by Beaufighters of No 236 Squadron and a detachment from No 404 Squadron RCAF, both operating from Davidstow Moor. The ship was left floundering and later was finished off by the Royal Navy. The aircraft flying overhead in this photograph is reportedly that of Wing Commander Ken Gatward, the CO of No 404 Squadron and one of the RAF's leading anti-shipping 'aces'.

There may be more. I did not visit The Imperial War Museum

wim