Submitting news, how?

Charles Stirling

Question

Way back when I used to be accepted for submitting live news but its not my main photography so was removed from that option. Just took some that might have counted as new and found no way of submitting so they could be viewed in a timely fashion.

What does one do if they have something that is possibly a top new photo? Seems we can't use Alamy (could take too long in QC even with ***** rating).

8 answers to this question

either email/phone the news desk if it's newsworthy.

otherwise apply for reportage which skips qc, but still depends on the alamy db getting updated that day or two in order for the image be seen and indexed outside alamy.

btw, if you were able to submit live news a long time ago, but they took it away, didn't they also give you the reportage and archival upload options as a consolation prize; can you double check your upload options?

Edited by sooth

2 hours ago, Charles Stirling said:

Way back when I used to be accepted for submitting live news but its not my main photography so was removed from that option. Just took some that might have counted as new and found no way of submitting so they could be viewed in a timely fashion.

What does one do if they have something that is possibly a top new photo? Seems we can't use Alamy (could take too long in QC even with ***** rating).

Charles,  The advice you have been given is or would have been the solution.  Yea several years ago I Lost the live news option and contacted News and they got it open to me quickly,  I do communicate with the folks in News and they have been quick to respond.

Chuck

Charles, if you know you're going to shoot an event that you want to submit to Live News, contact the news desk in advance and you can get temporary access. If you shoot news regularly, you can get permanent access.

• Like 1

I don't shoot news regularly is part of the problem. I tried contacting the news team but just had recorded message no one in the office till Monday (this was Saturday). Most of the time my photos are automaticity passed QC but every half dozen or so uploads they check to just verify position. So this shoot was just the local Pro-Palestine march so well covered, but it struck me that if anyone had some extraordinary coverage of some news their isn't a way to get it on Alamy. No answer on phone or email.

1 hour ago, Charles Stirling said:

I don't shoot news regularly is part of the problem. I tried contacting the news team but just had recorded message no one in the office till Monday (this was Saturday). Most of the time my photos are automaticity passed QC but every half dozen or so uploads they check to just verify position. So this shoot was just the local Pro-Palestine march so well covered, but it struck me that if anyone had some extraordinary coverage of some news their isn't a way to get it on Alamy. No answer on phone or email.

Charles, 

When I have needed to communicate with NEWS, I send an email with the details and sometimes a downsized example (on a file photo) if I have it.  I tell them when I need to hear back from them and they have always gotten back to me by the time I specified.

FYI, I have other news photo outlets that I can contribute news photos to and could contact if Alamy news does not respond within the time frame I sent in the email.  I have never had to submit to the others, News has always responded to my email.  The News Photo business is a business of communication and any organization that can not communicate is not someone that I would want to do business with.  I've been working with Alamy Live News since it started and hope to continue working with them.

Keep in mind I am not telling Charles or anyone else how to do things.  What I am writing is just my own experience.

PS, my name is Charles, but a picture editor at NEWSWEEK in 1980 told me to change it to Chuck, because he said "Charles is too long for the credit line."

Chuck

1 hour ago, Charles Stirling said:

As far as I'm aware your lack of weekend contact has been typical for some time. I would continue shooting news as stock and make notes of how quickly you can edit and upload, speed is important and sub 1 hr or faster times can be mentioned to the news team when your apply during week time to cover a future news event.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Charles, 

When I have needed to communicate with NEWS, I send an email with the details and sometimes a downsized example (on a file photo) if I have it.  I tell them when I need to hear back from them and they have always gotten back to me by the time I specified.

FYI, I have other news photo outlets that I can contribute news photos to and could contact if Alamy news does not respond within the time frame I sent in the email.  I have never had to submit to the others, News has always responded to my email.  The News Photo business is a business of communication and any organization that can not communicate is not someone that I would want to do business with.  I've been working with Alamy Live News since it started and hope to continue working with them.

Keep in mind I am not telling Charles or anyone else how to do things.  What I am writing is just my own experience.

PS, my name is Charles, but a picture editor at NEWSWEEK in 1980 told me to change it to Chuck, because he said "Charles is too long for the credit line."

Chuck

Made me smile, been using JMF News  for a while..