Gower vs Pembrokeshire

davelich

I'm planning a trip to South Wales later this year and am torn between basing myself closer to the Gower Peninsula or the Pembrokeshire Coast. Both offer rich photographic potential, but I'd be grateful for any advice or local knowledge regarding which one might have the edge.

I have done the Gower a little but not Pembrokeshire.

From my own research of wanting to go there, you need to be aware that some of the coastal areas are within army ranges. There is a website that will give you the opening times of the ranges. Roughly, they are normally open at weekends and school holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dave, I live in pembrokeshire. The coastal path here is amazing... beaches, cliffs, islands, woodlands, wildlife, villages, the list goes on.  Yet there are never many people walking it? The power of TV!

You will need plenty of batteries, it's beautiful.

If you want any info, I'll be glad to help out. I have been very busy recently with my new house and I only pop onto Alamy every now and again. Leave a message and I will get back to you.

Also, you will be driving past the Gower to get to Pembs, so you could split your time.

• 4 weeks later...

pembrokeshire is a great area with plenty of diverse opportunities - the green bridge of wales is one place not to miss. Tenby, stackpole head... its all good.  Good luck with the weather.

• 4 weeks later...

I find there isn't a great amount to photograph around the Gower. Pembroke on the other hand, there's loads! I want to photograph at sunrise the sea stacks there

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pembroke+sea+stacks&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=4nR&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PQweU87KDNCDhQee5IDQBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=697

• 2 weeks later...

"I had an uncle Gus,

who drove a motor bus,

he'd drive you 'round the Gower

in a quarter of an hour."

"The butterflies in Gower,

they do flit from flower to flower.

While the bees up in Langollen,

they do go and gather pollen".

If you can't pronounce the Welsh 'll', don't even attempt the second verse. Don't ask for directions to anywhere in Wales either or you may get directed to somewhere different! 

Archived