Broken XQD card in Nikon D4

gvallee

Question

A small piece of the XQD card is broken and remains lodged in the memory card slot of my Nikon D4. 

It is not a big problem at the moment as I download the files directly from the camera using a cable. Everything seems to work normally.

What do you reckon? Should I try and get it fixed or carry on as is? Is there a danger that it will start playing up at some stage?

I am two months away from a trip to Christmas Island to see the crabs migration. It would be a disaster if any trouble occurred there.

Your thoughts please?

Edited by gvallee

12 answers to this question

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

A small piece of the XQD card is broken and remains lodged in the memory card slot of my Nikon D4. 

It is not a big problem at the moment as I download the files directly from the camera using a cable. Everything seems to work normally.

What do you reckon? Should I try and get it fixed or carry on as is? Is there a danger that it will start playing up at some stage?

I am two months away from a trip to Christmas Island to see the crabs migration. It would be a disaster if any trouble occurred there.

Your thoughts please?

Get it fixed.  Using tethered on a  nature shoot  might be very limiting.  The other option if you can't get the camera back in time would be to rent a body for your trip.

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Your thoughts please?

It's not clear what you mean.  Are you shooting to a broken XQD card that can't be removed? From what you say about downloading using a cable, that is what it sounds like.

Are you using or can you use the second CF card slot?

How did you break an XQD card in the camera? 

In any case, if it was me I would not risk what you describe as a potential disaster situation without a second camera body so I would suggest getting a second body (a D850 maybei if you are staying with F-mount Nikon) wheher or not you get the D4 repaired.. It's surprising that you don't have a backup body in your situation where you are travelling in very remote areas. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

It's not clear what you mean.  Are you shooting to a broken XQD card that can't be removed? From what you say about downloading using a cable, that is what it sounds like.

Are you using or can you use the second CF card slot?

How did you break an XQD card in the camera? 

In any case, if it was me I would not risk what you describe as a potential disaster situation without a second camera body so I would suggest getting a second body (a D850 maybei if you are staying with F-mount Nikon) wheher or not you get the D4 repaired.. It's surprising that you don't have a backup body in your situation where you are travelling in very remote areas. 

Thanks for your reply Michael, I was hoping your would chime in. I'll try and clarify, not necessarily in order of questions you asked.

1. I do have a backup body of course, a Nikon D500. It's a crop sensor as you know which I bought for macro photography, so I prefer to use my full frame D4 for landscapes on the trip mentioned. I also have my little Sony in case of emergency.

2. The broken XQD card can be removed but it leaves a bit of a bottom corner behind in the camera. So I just leave it in place, it works fine, and download using a cable.

3. I do not use the second slot but of course I could. 

4. How I broke the XQD card? I just took it out and a bit stayed inside. I am wondering if the card's plastic bit hasn't cracked in the heat. Sometimes, the temperature inside the motorhome is way above 40C, perhaps even reaches 50C. I've had the card for many years. Wear and tear + heat?

As an aside, I have read that Nikon stopped servicing the Nikon D4. However, I found someone in Perth who could do it. 

Edited by gvallee

Gen, you're asking sensible questions so I'm sure you'll come to a resolution you're happy with.

Could you live with using slot 2 till after the Christmas Island trip, then get it fixed? I appreciate work arounds just feel wrong!

Thinking latterally, as it's not easy to get to a camera chap could your local antique clock restoration guy be able to pull the broken bit of card out? Must be loads of them in the

outback. 🙃

• Like 2

OK Gen. Not something that has ever happened to me but I was thinking the same - the extreme temperaures may have led to it cracking. XQD cards are very robust in comparison to many other card types.

What would I do? I'd try to get hold of a couple of CF cards and use them instead until you get a chance to get it repaired (or even get someone manually skilled to get the broken bit out). I certainly wouldn't keep shooting to that card.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

OK Gen. Not something that has ever happened to me but I was thinking the same - the extreme temperaures may have led to it cracking. XQD cards are very robust in comparison to many other card types.

What would I do? I'd try to get hold of a couple of CF cards and use them instead until you get a chance to get it repaired (or even get someone manually skilled to get the broken bit out). I certainly wouldn't keep shooting to that card.

OK Michael, I appreciate your advice. It certainly sounds dodgy to shoot to a broken card. I have a couple of cards for the second slot. I'll probably try and get it fixed in Perth. They use a pair of modified tweezers. Then I'll need a new XQD card. 

I'll tell you, I'm not looking forward to being in town again after total freedom and big spaces in the Outback for many weeks. It will be to fix everything that is broken: drone, camera, hearing aid, broken speedo and wipers on the bus. The list goes on... Argh!!

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

Gen, you're asking sensible questions so I'm sure you'll come to a resolution you're happy with.

Could you live with using slot 2 till after the Christmas Island trip, then get it fixed? I appreciate work arounds just feel wrong!

Thinking latterally, as it's not easy to get to a camera chap could your local antique clock restoration guy be able to pull the broken bit of card out? Must be loads of them in the

outback. 🙃

Actually, we once met in the Outback the captain of the Australian Antarctica ice breaker ship. So why not? 😁

Yes, I think I'll do as you and Michael suggest, use the second slot for the time being until I can get it fixed in Perth in a few weeks.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I'll tell you, I'm not looking forward to being in town again after total freedom and big spaces in the Outback for many weeks. It will be to fix everything that is broken: drone, camera, hearing aid, broken speedo and wipers on the bus. The list goes on... Argh!!

While I fully appreciate that sentiment Gen, I have to point out that using modern technology does sometimes require the support of the modern world!

Alan

1 minute ago, Inchiquin said:

While I fully appreciate that sentiment Gen, I have to point out that using modern technology does sometimes require the support of the modern world!

Alan

Not only technology. I once broke a front tooth because of grit from the road, and was told that the nearest dentist was 750km away. Recommended fix: whisky 😁

3 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Not only technology. I once broke a front tooth because of grit from the road, and was told that the nearest dentist was 750km away. Recommended fix: whisky 😁

I've had severe toothache while on holiday more than once but I just grin and bear it for the sake of not disrupting my holiday. When I break a tooth these days I usually just leave it broken.

As a quirky little coincidence I'm writing this from a holiday cottage a few miles from West Wittering which you once said you were familiar with.

Alan

11 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

I've had severe toothache while on holiday more than once but I just grin and bear it for the sake of not disrupting my holiday. When I break a tooth these days I usually just leave it broken.

As a quirky little coincidence I'm writing this from a holiday cottage a few miles from West Wittering which you once said you were familiar with.

Alan

Enjoy your holidays! Last time I was there, there were Colombians dancing salsa on the beach. I wanted to join in.

From XQD to salsa. How did we get there? 😆

Edited by gvallee