Alamy - $0.40 p/image

Micro - $4.32 p/image

Corbis - $5.09 p/image

Your Corbis collection will be much more tightly edited, so if you factor that in, you may still be earning more at Alamy.  However, this is still a useful comparison (given that the work you do for C is similar), because it is an indicator of potential earnings.

With a smaller online collection I would estimate that Corbis turns over more p.a. than Alamy has over it's entire existence.  That would suggest that the average net returns are in the low dollars (returns pipy), and the potential returns are much higher.  Therefore you* are not locked into volume production, as most serious Alamy contribs seem to be.  

I think the eventual consequences will be that Alamy will soon be able to boast loudly that it has more images than all the big agencies combined, but will need to be very quiet about what this has done for the average contriutor's earnings.

Another comparison:  I am currently just over $0.40 p/image after five weeks at another edited collection (1000+) of mainly editorial work. 

*The royal 'you', not you personally Duncan

Ha.ha no probs. My Corbis port is as you say, very tightly edited but did net more than Alamy, helped by a nice four figure sale. 

I think what the figures tell me is that there is a place for each of them if done right. Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice any of them. Depending what you are working on you have to set/decide on the time and $ spent on obtaining the images.

For me, it's about getting the right workflow and subject matter for each Agency, you can't treat them all the same. I love the lower volume / creative production stuff but I balance it with editorial..... avoiding all eggs in one basket approach.

Quite often Alamy prices are approaching Micro prices (or less - Newspaper scheme) without compensating via volume. Text book licences are nice and I would like to see more of these :-) but newspaper and even magazine licences $'s are low.

Btw, can you tell me guys, why I got that low price?

(UK newspaper scheme is out)

Rights Managed  

Usage: iQ sale: Magazine, Editorial print use only.

Industry sector: Media, design & publishing

Start: 06 January 2014

End: 06 January 2019

$ 8.08

This is third time in last year...

:(

That is very low. The smallest IQ sale I've had is $35, all others have been over $50. I think yours might be so low because it is UK only. All of my IQ sales have been worldwide.

Ha.ha no probs. My Corbis port is as you say, very tightly edited but did net more than Alamy, helped by a nice four figure sale. 

I think what the figures tell me is that there is a place for each of them if done right. Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice any of them. Depending what you are working on you have to set/decide on the time and $ spent on obtaining the images.

For me, it's about getting the right workflow and subject matter for each Agency, you can't treat them all the same. I love the lower volume / creative production stuff but I balance it with editorial..... avoiding all eggs in one basket approach.

How does your Ramble compare with your Terra (although to get to the Terra must involve quite a ramble).  Was the four figure sale from Terra? 

I contribute to an editorial collection there, although I think a lot of sales are likely to be commercial.  I also, via distribution, have work placed there under 'creative'. 

Robert

I've had one IQ worldwide at $15 ish, digital only.

But yes, a couple at $37-39 and some cents, as if they've been priced in sterling. and one for a book at $88ish.

I guess this says something about my IQ, but I haven't really figured out how IQ sales are any different from "regular" sales, except in that they seem to provide even more rights for even less money.

How does your Ramble compare with your Terra (although to get to the Terra must involve quite a ramble).  Was the four figure sale from Terra? 

I contribute to an editorial collection there, although I think a lot of sales are likely to be commercial.  I also, via distribution, have work placed there under 'creative'. 

Robert

The four figure sale was a low level mountain landscape shot, not high up.... just a very nice view of a nice place :-) 

I have a couple of editorial, non property released shots that do very well there. RF (they call it broad rights) does well but as non exclusive you get 10%. That said, they licensed an image for £700 that would be lucky to be sold here at all :-) That said, I mainly submit RM to them.

I can see myself slowing the pace down to a degree (volume wise) later this year to concentrate on coming up with more unique imagery.... looking forward to that! Just need to hit a min income turnover before I do that!

Robert

The four figure sale was a low level mountain landscape shot, not high up.... just a very nice view of a nice place :-) 

I have a couple of editorial, non property released shots that do very well there. RF (they call it broad rights) does well but as non exclusive you get 10%. That said, they licensed an image for £700 that would be lucky to be sold here at all :-) That said, I mainly submit RM to them.

I can see myself slowing the pace down to a degree (volume wise) later this year to concentrate on coming up with more unique imagery.... looking forward to that! Just need to hit a min income turnover before I do that!

I wondered if it was one of those (low-level mountain shots)

What you say is sound: more considered, possibly unique imagery properly placed is the way to go now. 

I used to enjoy newsy/current affairs editorial photography in the days when Guardian/Observer/Times (et al) licenses where in the low hundreds.  Not any longer.

There is a really nice half-pager in today's G on page 34*.  By someone called 'Alamy'.  The fee will probably pay for a night out at the local kebab shop.  Pity about the non-attribution.

(Could be a little green one for anyone passing that onto 'Images Found')

Quite often Alamy prices are approaching Micro prices (or less - Newspaper scheme) without compensating via volume. Text book licences are nice and I would like to see more of these :-) but newspaper and even magazine licences $'s are low.

Rights Managed  

$ 8.08

That is very low. The smallest IQ sale I've had is $35, all others have been over $50. I think yours might be so low because it is UK only. All of my IQ sales have been worldwide.

Mine was $6.50 so you were lucky

Rights Managed  

$ 8.08

Mine was $6.50 so you were lucky

It seems our collective IQ is getting lower all the time.

I'm finding this thread useful as it gives an indication of the kind of return I might aspire to per image I upload at Alamy. Knowing what other people achieve I can then judge for myself how much time I should invest in producing stuff for Alamy. 

For what it's worth I grossed about $0.60 per image in the last year (down from around $1 per image in 2012). However nearly two-thirds of my portfolio has been added within the last 12 months  and I think I'll have a much more realistic idea on how much return I'll get per image in about 6 months time when the present stock has had chance to mature (a bit like cheese only less smelly).

What's the difference between a large pizza and a photographer?

One feeds a family of 4.

I've never seen a pizza that can feed 4. So photography must be more lucrative than I thought.

Alan

What's the difference between a large pizza and a photographer?

One feeds a family of 4.

I've never seen a pizza that can feed 4. So photography must be more lucrative than I thought.

Alan

Perhaps it should be: "What's the difference between a pizza delivery boy and a photographer?"

One feeds a family of 4 :mellow:

I'm a vegan so I'll just stick to the photography.

Alan

Archived