5 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
$2509 gross, worst 11 most recent months, 80 items;

I can't recall previous monthly report with such a
preponderance of "worst of year" comments...?
Could this evidence loss of market share...?
😮 BLIMEY, LET'S NOT RUSH TO CONCLUSIONS...

Buyers going to AI to make their own images? Surely everyone wants to try it. Buyers in Europe, UK, USA on holiday so a Summer lull? But Summer happens every year. 

• Love 1

I had a close to average month for revenue with around $1,000 gross but poor number of sales with under 75.  

In my view, one should not draw inferences from either one month sales or from the tiny sample of individuals that contribute to this forum.  I have made this comment before, but I shall repeat it.  With over 300 million images and thousands of contributors (and I suspect a degree of churn with contributors joining and leaving) sales numbers for an individual in a month are close to random.  I believe, and I don’t know, that Alamy tweaks the algorithm frequently.  Thus one’s page rank, so the probability of sales changes.  You can make some generalisations, the more photographs the more licences, 20% of contributors will make 80% of revenue, statistically, over the long term, an individuals sales will tend towards the mean of their sales (revision to the mean of large samples normally distributed ).  None of this will be seen in one month’s sales.  Trends in imagery change, the economic environment changes and so on.  It appears to me that regular contributions of good quality well captioned, properly keyworded pictures will be licensed over time; within that will be considerable variation.  

Edited by IanDavidson
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

Buyers going to AI to make their own images? Surely everyone wants to try it. Buyers in Europe, UK, USA on holiday so a Summer lull? But Summer happens every year. 

One area that will be excluded from AI generated images will be Live News. AI generated images will not effect news photographers, only falling license fees will.

• Love 1

21 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

Buyers going to AI to make their own images?

you may be right mate, but...

many publishers would have to credit image as AI to avoid embarrassment?
some of those publishers would consequently draw criticism for using AI images?
AI images are not copyright protected & could be legally nicked?
stock images are still often cheaper-quicker than generating one's own AI images?
  • Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 19:54, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
$2509 gross, worst 11 most recent months, 80 items;

I can't recall previous monthly report with such a
preponderance of "worst of year" comments...?
Could this evidence loss of market share...?
😮 BLIMEY, LET'S NOT RUSH TO CONCLUSIONS...

I suspect people in general - not just on this forum - tend to be more vocal when they have a moan than when things are going well.
For me this is on target to be my best ever year at Alamy. The average monthly income is the highest ever and sales numbers are up.

Also for various reasons I haven't been submitting as many images as usual over the last 12 months, which won't have helped.
As Ian says above, no individual photographer's statistics are enough to indicate a trend, and I suspect many contributors who either aren't on this forum or who are doing OK simply aren't bothering to comment. 
My own monthly income varies wildly, but the averages seem to be going the right way.

• Like 4

On 06/08/2023 at 22:28, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

you may be right mate, but...

many publishers would have to credit image as AI to avoid embarrassment?
some of those publishers would consequently draw criticism for using AI images?
AI images are not copyright protected & could be legally nicked?
stock images are still often cheaper-quicker than generating one's own AI images?

It was you, Jeffrey, who inspired me to get uploading more images in volume. Thank you. I've said that, when I started on Alamy, after 8 months I'd given up logging in to look for sales. Then two UK newspapers used 3 images. On a previous agency, now sadly defunct, I had done ok; pics used by Guardian, Mail, Mirror, Times etc. We have to keep going. But what I don't want is to be 'discovered' after I've gone and publications pay a half groat for my stuff. 

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 06:15, Phil Robinson said:

I suspect people...tend to be more vocal when they have a moan than when things are going well.

blimey, what's the proof of that??
it could be the opposite it could;
when someone reports a great
year without specifics we have
no idea if its great or not for the
collection size do we?

I'll stand by me statement that
this month has an abundance
of "year's worst" comments...
Aug results will or won't fit with Jul;
the rough sum of all reported collections
in this thread thru to me observation
is 672K total images, IDK what %
of entire online images that is,
probably 0.1%...?
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
blimey, what's the proof of that??
it could be the opposite it could;
when someone reports a great
year without specifics we have
no idea if its great or not for the
collection size do we?

I'll stand by me statement that
this month has an abundance
of "year's worst" comments...
Aug results will or won't fit with Jul;
the rough sum of all reported collections
in this thread thru to me observation
is 672K total images, IDK what %
of entire online images that is,
probably 0.1%...?

No proof, just a comment on life in general.

And I agree with your statement about the comments on here. 

Just to help with the statistical analysis, this month is turning out even better than last. For me at least.

• Like 1