Taking photos if children

Jill Morgan

Question

I was meeting a friend of mine in a restaurant for lunch today and they had a tv running with the channel that shows news, traffic, weather etc.  One of the news flashes was that Toronto police were looking for a man who had been seen taking photos of young children.

Now, I too would be wary of some guy shooting pics of kids, yet it could be some stock photographer just getting some images.  Being female, I could probably do it and no one would worry.  I see some poor photographer being tracked down by the cops trying to explain his photo taking.  But could also be a true pedo.

A tough call by cops, as legally, he wouldn't have been breaking any law.  Public place, so freedom to take pics.  I generally avoid taking pictures of children. Any of you guys brave enough, or simply avoid it as well.

Jill

• Love 1

7 answers to this question

Did they say in what context the man was taking the photos? That can make a big difference. For instance, if he was prowling around a schoolyard with his camera, that would certainly arouse suspicion, possibly warranted. Also, the guy could have already been "known to police", as they say on newscasts. I'm certainly more concerned than I used to be about including children in photos, but I don't avoid it altogether. It depends on the situation...

• Love 1

I very much doubt paedophile's go round taking pictures of children when there's what they want on the internet. However hanging round a school would definitely arouse suspicion. Photos recording Glasgow's history would have been much poorer if there were no picture of kids playing in the back courts of run down or derelict tenement buildings or playing on burnt out cars in the 60's and 70's. It does make one wary though. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

the incomplete reporting of this stinks -- police to blame...?
Canadian photographers should express outrage;
AFAIK, in all democracies, photographing people in
public is legal &
there are no age exceptions;
but there are proper & improper ways to take photos;
e.g., if a playground had a significant piece of art for climbing
& a parent said don't photo my kid I would ask them to temporarily
remove kid from piece before I shoot to promote tourism or whatever...

constant battle between "Right to Photograph" & what constitutes privacy...
stock shooters who DON'T photograph people yet express their false
conclusions are some of the worst at allowing freedoms to be eroded...
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

A little more information here:

https://www.cp24.com/news/police-search-for-man-allegedly-caught-taking-photos-of-children-in-etobicoke-1.6487748

but still, this is a public street, so I don't know how they could do anything to the man. Woman made him delete the photos off of his phone. Was using cell phone, not camera, but still, was he doing anything illegal?

Jill

• Love 1

My first priority is my safety and living in Manchester, UK, the issues surrounding this have become highly charged, even toxic, in the UK. The context is all important to me. I've just posted on the favourite July uploads about stampeding by hundreds of youths in city centre Manchester today. I've uploaded dozens as live news, full of many people aged under 17 years, in the middle distance. Wide images, full of people are one thing. I avoid close ups unless the photo is demanding to be taken and I can ask a parent's permission: maybe once a year. Here two grassy areas of the city centre have by-laws outlawing all photography. I suspect I may be the only person who remembers this as I used to work in local government. However, that does enable authorities, or more likely parents or guardians, to approach togs who go over the top (eg. close ups of young children wearing little in a fountain when there was one in Piccadilly Gardens). It depends on the context, I think. 

As photographing young children can be a highly charged issue, I would mostly only photograph them with their parent/s or guardian/s. If possible I would ask before shooting even if in a public place. My photography would be based around marches or protests where there is an expectancy that by being there it is likely you could be photographed, but finally common sense always prevails. When photographing a march I often remain static in its centre photographing groups of people or individuals as they approach and pass me.  Earlier this year shooting an XR march an adult approached me with a young child on his shoulders. Walking backwards I attracted the attention of the adult, pointed to his child, then my camera  and he nodded acceptance and I fired off a burst. Later I photographed  a group of children marching in front of a wide banner that were emphasising their concern over climate change effecting their future. In that case there was an extremely high probability they would be photographed and images published.

Going back to 1979 in Southall near to where Blair Peach was clubbed down and died the week before, at a rally/march, I photographed Peter Hain, now Lord Hain, and Michael Meacher, now RIP, chatting together, both with their young children in pushchairs. Common sense always prevails when younger children are involved, so if you do photograph a decision wether to submit or not can be made later.

Edited by sb photos