Images not showing up in searches

I am experiencing a problem with the search engine not displaying all my images that contain the same keywords.  Images are completely left out of searches.  I have noticed this multiple times in the last couple of months while trying to discern the placement of my images in a typical search.  Its not that my images show up in later pages in a search, but that they don’t show up at all.  It seems that the search engine may need an overhaul.  

I did a search as a test for “Butchart Gardens” both within my main pseudonym and in an all of Alamy search.  I have 214 images with Butchart Gardens as keywords.  The all of Alamy search returned 3823 images.  I went through all 39 pages of the search results and recorded when I found one of my images.  Mine were fairly easy to spot as the day we visited the gardens was rainy and overcast.  When you roll over an image the caption appears with the image ID and I was able to verify by the first 4 characters that the image was mine as they were all uploaded at the same time. Here is a list of how my images were distributed throughout the search.

1 image on page one  1 image page two  2 on page eleven   1 on page twelve  1 on page thirteen 1 on page sixteen 1 on page seventeen

So it goes on like this for many pages.  By page 29 I spotted 20 of my images.  By page 37 I had found 40.  Between page 37 and 39 (the last page) I found 55 images for a total of 95.  I am wondering what happened to the remaining 119 images that should be included in the search. I probably missed a few photos of mine but not 119.  I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. 

Is there something wrong with the search engine or is it designed to work this way?

Johnnie

39 minutes ago, Johnnie5 said:

I am experiencing a problem with the search engine not displaying all my images that contain the same keywords.

I experienced the same several times. Was thinking that perhaps my exercises occurred during some index updates. But never followed up or double-checked.

Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that all images in a search do not get seen and there seems to be a 'cut-off' point which leads me to the opinion that the search engine is not fit for purpose.  Just as one small example, I have three pseudonyms and images with the same keyword in two of them. The pseudonym that appears on Page 1 on the CTR/ranking listings is listed in a search but not the pseudonym that is on Page 3. It is not even identified albeit using the same keyword in a search. Perhaps since the coming together of PA/Alamy this is why I have not had any calendar sales any more which produced a nice part of income. But there you are, it matters not to the library because these sales will just get attributed to different contributors. 

It is also quite noticable that on sales reports in the Forum some contributors names crop up with great frequency which one has to assume is because that are high up in ranking. This is fair enough but it wrankles when an image is sold/licenced of a subject identical to mine with the same keyword but not shown on my listing. Maybe this is because the majority of views are truncated at 100......and all those lower order gems are never to be seen!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that all images in a search do not get seen and there seems to be a 'cut-off' point which leads me to the opinion that the search engine is not fit for purpose.  Just as one small example, I have three pseudonyms and images with the same keyword in two of them. The pseudonym that appears on Page 1 on the CTR/ranking listings is listed in a search but not the pseudonym that is on Page 3. It is not even identified albeit using the same keyword in a search. Perhaps since the coming together of PA/Alamy this is why I have not had any calendar sales any more which produced a nice part of income. But there you are, it matters not to the library because these sales will just get attributed to different contributors. 

It is also quite noticable that on sales reports in the Forum some contributors names crop up with great frequency which one has to assume is because that are high up in ranking. This is fair enough but it wrankles when an image is sold/licenced of a subject identical to mine with the same keyword but not shown on my listing. Maybe this is because the majority of views are truncated at 100......and all those lower order gems are never to be seen!!

If you look up in AoA section for a specific search you would see the actual search count - 100, 200, 300, etc... If it shows only 100 on your Alamy Measures count it doesn't mean the views were restricted to only 100 views for the search - it actually means your image was somewhere in those 100, 200, 300, etc. views...

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

3 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

If you look up in AoA section for a specific search you would see the actual search count - 100, 200, 300, etc... If it shows only 100 on your Alamy Measures count it doesn't mean the views were restricted to only 100 views for the search - it actually means your image was somewhere in those 100, 200, 300, etc. views...

Fair comment. It's just so frustrating to try and guess/establish why a normal days views (for me anyway and others) had fallen some 80% since April of last year. I guess we'll never know! Didn't really want to waste time on this but it would be nice to know how it all works!! 

It would be nice if Alamy could fix this problem so that all our images with the proper keywords would appear in search results.  They advertise 345,699,040 images on sale yet how do you access all of them?  They may as well state that they have a curated collection right now.  It would be nice to see more randomized results also.  

20 hours ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Fair comment. It's just so frustrating to try and guess/establish why a normal days views (for me anyway and others) had fallen some 80% since April of last year. I guess we'll never know! Didn't really want to waste time on this but it would be nice to know how it all works!! 

I think that's when there was an Alamy rerank. My data suggests it happened around 28th April 2022. Soon after that date my rate of views roughly doubled, whilst a colleague of mine's rate of views significantly dropped. If you want to get some insight into your Alamy rank then try the BHZ test. On 3rd May 2022 I found my BHZ image jumped from being about 800th to 260th out of about 2,700 images in the BHZ pool. I just checked and I'm still about 2/3 down Page 3 so my position hasn't changed much. That's not to say there hasn't been a rerank since April 2022 it's just that my rank seems to have stayed about the same.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I think that's when there was an Alamy rerank. My data suggests it happened around 28th April 2022. Soon after that date my rate of views roughly doubled, whilst a colleague of mine's rate of views significantly dropped. If you want to get some insight into your Alamy rank then try the BHZ test. On 3rd May 2022 I found my BHZ image jumped from being about 800th to 260th out of about 2,700 images in the BHZ pool. I just checked and I'm still about 2/3 down Page 3 so my position hasn't changed much. That's not to say there hasn't been a rerank since April 2022 it's just that my rank seems to have stayed about the same.

Mark

deleted

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

This thread encouraged me to search for my BHZ image in search, I’m amazed that I now come up on the first page around the 64th image, previously I was on page 26. I upload an image with BHZ some 8+ years ago (approximately). I don’t feel as those sales have gone through the roof!

• 3 months later...

Following this thread as it seems I am finding the same issue. I wanted to populate a new lightbox with a set of images but when i search for the images (my images) the search engine doesnt find them so i cant make a lightbox of my images. Im a newbie so I note that indexing might take time but its been a few weeks now and NONE of my images come up in search. My name doesnt event com up either.

:-(