Part II only asks about books and magazines. It's just Part I that asks about UK websites. So, Part II hasn't really changed. 

Good luck, you've still got time! Just don't wait until Friday in case the site has issues from too much traffic.

*** And as a fellow North American, remember it is due by (I believe) 5pm GMT - and not midnight which would be 5pm Eastern Time (and earlier for you out on Canada's west coast). I believe it's 5pm and not earlier but I am sure that you do not have until midnight their time, which is the usual cutoff for things here in the States at least. I made that mistake once. Do it Thursday to be safe. 

I spent ages last week looking for additional UK uses and finally decided I'd spent enough time and just submitted it. 

Edited by Marianne

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Part II only asks about books and magazines. It's just Part I that asks about UK websites. So, Part II hasn't really changed. 

Good luck, you've still got time! Just don't wait until Friday in case the site has issues from too much traffic.

*** And as a fellow North American, remember it is due by (I believe) 5pm GMT - and not midnight which would be 5pm Eastern Time (and earlier for you out on Canada's west coast). I believe it's 5pm and not earlier but I am sure that you do not have until midnight their time, which is the usual cutoff for things here in the States at least. I made that mistake once. Do it Thursday to be safe. 

I spent ages last week looking for additional UK uses and finally decided I'd spent enough time and just submitted it. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's true. However, some of those editorial websites no doubt consider themselves to be magazines, even if they don't have print editions. Guess I'll just do what I've done in the past even though the majority my UK sales last year were to editorial websites. Thanks for the tip about a possible last-minute log jam on the DACS website.

Edited by John Mitchell

For part 2, I did what I usually do - i.e. extracted (using Excel) all the UK region entries that also mention magazine or book in the licence details from a downloaded copy of my Alamy sales report and then totalled up how many of each there are. Luckily I know the ISBN/ISSN nos for a few of them as well. I uploaded the extracted sales report with my DACS Part 2 claim.

Mark

40 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

For part 2, I did what I usually do - i.e. extracted (using Excel) all the UK region entries that also mention magazine or book in the licence details from a downloaded copy of my Alamy sales report and then totalled up how many of each there are. Luckily I know the ISBN/ISSN nos for a few of them as well. I uploaded the extracted sales report with my DACS Part 2 claim.

Mark

That's what I do as well. This year I'm surprised at how many UK editorial website sales I have, very few books and magazines. The times they are a'changing (still), I guess.

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That's what I do as well. This year I'm surprised at how many UK editorial website sales I have, very few books and magazines. The times they are a'changing (still), I guess.

Yes, I did that too - I have a spreadsheet with Alamy UK sales, annotated to note the ISBN/ISSN numbers and publication/book titles where I've found them.

I hadn't thought about interpreting "magazine" to mean online magazine, however. I too have a significant number of new UK editorial website sales, most to online magazines rather than newspapers, but I didn't count them as magazine sales in Part II. That would be a very good question to ask DACS. It would significantly change my numbers. I'm thinking though somewhere on the website it says "print," but I could be wrong. Worth investigating further .. for next year. 

22 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Yes, I did that too - I have a spreadsheet with Alamy UK sales, annotated to note the ISBN/ISSN numbers and publication/book titles where I've found them.

I hadn't thought about interpreting "magazine" to mean online magazine, however. I too have a significant number of new UK editorial website sales, most to online magazines rather than newspapers, but I didn't count them as magazine sales in Part II. That would be a very good question to ask DACS. It would significantly change my numbers. I'm thinking though somewhere on the website it says "print," but I could be wrong. Worth investigating further .. for next year. 

I just bit the bullet and submitted Part II for what it was worth. Adding all those "editorial websites" would have made a big difference for me as well. Perhaps we'll get more info about this from DACS down the road as print magazines become scarcer and scarcer.

From Dacs:

What do I need to do in Part 1 of the claim form?

In Part 1 you need to provide us with the ISBNs (international standard book number), ISSNs (international standard serial number) or website URLs for each of the publications your work has been featured in.

You are paid when the data you provide matches the lists of titles held by the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA).

We encourage everyone to complete Part 1 as an increasing share of Payback royalties come from the matched data from the CLA. By completing Part 1, you’re maximising your chances of receiving more royalties.

Back to top of page

What do I need to do in Part 2 of the claim form?

In Part 2 we ask for the total number of books and magazines your works have been featured in, and the number of times your works appeared within those publications.

You can’t claim for website URLs in Part 2.

You must submit Part 2 to complete your Payback claim and receive any royalties.

Nigel

I may well have asked this before, but as I only use Excel for this exact purpose, i.e. once a year, I've forgotten if so.

I have the latest Excel, but I can't get it to accept Alamy's Statement CSV file at all.

How do I get Excel  to accept the .csv file? TIA

22 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I may well have asked this before, but as I only use Excel for this exact purpose, i.e. once a year, I've forgotten if so.

I have the latest Excel, but I can't get it to accept Alamy's Statement CSV file at all.

How do I get Excel  to accept the .csv file? TIA

Just click on the file if your defaults are set correctly. If not right click, "open with".

If I click on a csv it opens straight into an import dialog box in OpenOffice Calc.

• Like 1

"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

I do have Excel installed, and just checked and it reads my February sales csv file.

Tried downloading the overall statement again, but the above error message still applies.

It will load into Word and Notepad, but a nightmare to edit to leave just the UK publications.

I do have last year's Page 2, but it's got more publications than my Part 1 because of files I see reports for but can't find online, mainly because GIS is so bad nowadays.

Thanks for trying.

Do you still have the older version on your computer?

I had the same issue when I downloaded a .csv file from another agency and tried to open it in Numbers (MAC's version of Excel) but no issues opening my latest downloads from Alamy. So I sympathize, but unfortunately don't have a solution unless you have the older version available. 

I had the older version (2010) and that was what it al;w

35 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Do you still have the older version on your computer?

I had the same issue when I downloaded a .csv file from another agency and tried to open it in Numbers (MAC's version of Excel) but no issues opening my latest downloads from Alamy. So I sympathize, but unfortunately don't have a solution unless you have the older version available. 

That was what it always auto-loaded to (Win), but it was always 'all over the place', so I uninstalled the old version earlier this afternoon.

It also offers to open in Works Spreadsheet, but it's only showing March sales.

I'm giving up. I have  a bad cold (hopefully) and am not firing on all cylinders!

Thanks, I downloaded it, but when I tried to open with, it only offered OpenOffice Calc!

Best seems be Works Spreadsheet, but it's  not really doing what I want. I'm trying to highlight the appropriate rows, so that I can count them, and they can check them, but it only lets me do that down to row 99. After that, the formatting changes and I can't highlight any more text.

Grrr, I've done it before, don't know why it's so hard now.

I think I'll need to trawl hard drives to see if I can find a file from an earlier year!

12 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

From Dacs:

What do I need to do in Part 1 of the claim form?

In Part 1 you need to provide us with the ISBNs (international standard book number), ISSNs (international standard serial number) or website URLs for each of the publications your work has been featured in.

You are paid when the data you provide matches the lists of titles held by the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA).

We encourage everyone to complete Part 1 as an increasing share of Payback royalties come from the matched data from the CLA. By completing Part 1, you’re maximising your chances of receiving more royalties.

Back to top of page

What do I need to do in Part 2 of the claim form?

In Part 2 we ask for the total number of books and magazines your works have been featured in, and the number of times your works appeared within those publications.

You can’t claim for website URLs in Part 2.

You must submit Part 2 to complete your Payback claim and receive any royalties.

Nigel

Thanks. I have of course read this. However, my thought was perhaps the definition of "magazine" had been expanded given that we now live in a primarily digital world, and a lot of "editorial websites" consider themselves to be magazines. Guess not.

P.S. I still like print magazines but seldom buy them because their cost has become prohibitive, over here anyway.

• Like 1