Affinity Version 2 Creative Suite launched - and a launch discount on the package

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/press/newsroom/affinity-v2-sets-new-standards-in-creative-software/

Actually it seems that there is 40% off everything

New features of Photo 2 here:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/full-feature-list/

I'm assuming that there isn't an upgrade path from Photo 1 but I haven't looked into it yet.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I am using Lightroom version 5 but thinking about getting something more up-to-date. I like Lightroom but don't want to upgrade to a monthly subscription. Would be interested to hear other peoples views as to whether this version of Affinity would be a good alternative.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/press/newsroom/affinity-v2-sets-new-standards-in-creative-software/

Actually it seems that there is 40% off everything

New features of Photo 2 here:

I'm assuming that there isn't an upgrade path from Photo 1 but I haven't looked into it yet.

There is no upgrade pricing.  For those of us that already have one or more of these pieces of software, you have to buy the new software.  For me, at 140 Cdn.  It's a bargain.  I still need the graphics capabilities of PS, but will will get the whole set from Serif.  It is great software at bargain prices.

Jill

27 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

There is no upgrade pricing.

Thanks, that's saved me a bit of time - yes a bargain as you say, I'll have to study the new features. I also like the way they don't demand the latest high spec computers or operating systems.

8 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, that's saved me a bit of time - yes a bargain as you say, I'll have to study the new features. I also like the way they don't demand the latest high spec computers or operating systems.

Sorry I have not looked yet but, have they introduced a library and keywording feature yet?

Allan

I downloaded a copy of Affinity Photo 2 and had a quick play. I quite liked it. I couldn't get the same levels of detail as I get from LR/PS RAW conversions but Affinity does have some useful bundled features, which make it good value at £35.99.

Focus stacking

Astro stacking

Built in Vector Scope with skin tone line

Compatible with PS plugins (e.g. my copy of Topaz Denoise worked)

Compatible with Adobe PSDs

Can use Apple's RAW processing engine (which I found gave better results) or Affinity's RAW engine

If using Affinity RAW engine it's possible to turn lens distortion correction off to help preserve edge pixels and sharpness in images where geometry isn't critical (LR/PS doesn't allow this)

Pretty responsive

Controls similar to PS (some keyboard short-cuts are the same)

If financial constraints meant I had to cancel LR/PS subscription, I'd use this instead, but I'd miss ease with which LR/PS can produce top quality results.

Mark

• Love 1

6 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I downloaded a copy of Affinity Photo 2 and had a quick play. I quite liked it. I couldn't get the same levels of detail as I get from LR/PS RAW conversions but Affinity does have some useful bundled features, which make it good value at £35.99.

Focus stacking

Astro stacking

Built in Vector Scope with skin tone line

Compatible with PS plugins (e.g. my copy of Topaz Denoise worked)

Compatible with Adobe PSDs

Can use Apple's RAW processing engine (which I found gave better results) or Affinity's RAW engine

If using Affinity RAW engine it's possible to turn lens distortion correction off to help preserve edge pixels and sharpness in images where geometry isn't critical (LR/PS doesn't allow this)

Pretty responsive

Controls similar to PS (some keyboard short-cuts are the same)

If financial constraints meant I had to cancel LR/PS subscription, I'd use this instead, but I'd miss ease with which LR/PS can produce top quality results.

Mark

I have all the original Affinity programs, but what I find is that once you conquer a piece of software like PS or AI, you don't want to go and learn something new.  Has taken me years to get proficient at PS, and I use it more on the graphics side that the photography side so can't give it up.  I pretty much live in PS for a good 4 or more hours a day.  Also want to tackle some 3D stuff in Dimensions this winter when it's my down time.  No shows until March.   Also, Affinity Designer still doesn't have Image Trace, so have to stick with Illustrator. I have Adobe's full package.  My son uses the video software and I use the graphics software.  And I have got used to having the full Acrobat.

I will still probably get the Affinity set.  Well worth it's price and great to use as back up when Adobe screws up my account periodically.

Jill

• 1 month later...

Launch offer extended until 25th January

Note that the original 'Version 1' products will no longer be sold or upgraded, i.e. for new cameras etc. Also note that the new versions have higher minimum specs with respect to operating systems etc., they won't work on Windows 7 for example and require Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina) or later.

On 09/11/2022 at 09:48, Dave Richards said:

I am using Lightroom version 5 but thinking about getting something more up-to-date. I like Lightroom but don't want to upgrade to a monthly subscription. Would be interested to hear other peoples views as to whether this version of Affinity would be a good alternative.

I added up my costs over three years for upgrades to LR and decided to go with the yearly subscription for Photoshop and Lightroom, which was around $110 or so when I first subscribed.   It is around $130 a year now.   I really like having the database and metadata search (spent some of the morning seeing which lenses I used the most and how many licenses I got out of them).   Alternative w/o a database wouldn't interest me, personally.   The annual Photographers package from Adobe is a bit cheaper than month to month.

• 1 month later...

I looked at Affinity Photo a little time ago, but found that it stripped out IPTC and even some of the EXIF and camera information. For me this put a stop to using it. It would be great if it handled IPTC anywhere as well as IrfanView but stripping it out No.

Does the new version handle IPTC properly, allow entry and leave intact  what's in already intact? Camera and EXIF data same question? Things like GPS location.