Cattle breed?

M.Chapman

Charolais are white, not red. This guy is probably a cross, although looking under, it could be a cow as it is missing some important equipment.

Also, Charolais are longer in the body than your guy. They can have horns, but not often. Polled Charolais are preferred as it reduces risk of damage to the herd. This is a polled Charolais bull from my farm:

charolais-bull-looking-at-camera-in-fiel

Edited by Jill Morgan

9 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Charolais are white, not red. This guy is probably a cross, although looking under, it could be a cow as it is missing some important equipment.

Also, Charolais are longer in the body than your guy. They can have horns, but not often. Polled Charolais are preferred as it reduces risk of damage to the herd. This is a polled Charolais bull from my farm:

I had a feeling it was more complex. And Jill's right, on closer examination that's no bull...

I have this from 2007, possibly misidentified as Charolais. I'd be grateful for a correction if needed.

A9HDNH.jpg

5 hours ago, Keith Burdett said:

I had a feeling it was more complex. And Jill's right, on closer examination that's no bull...

I have this from 2007, possibly misidentified as Charolais. I'd be grateful for a correction if needed.

A9HDNH.jpg

Those are Polled Herefords.  The red is a little lighter than normal, so might be a cross with a Hereford, but body type looks right.  Just the red is a bit light.

Jill

23 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

After some research I found the farm has South Devon cows and bulls which seems a closer match. I'm sure it's a young bull, as there's a scrotal sac just visible behind the knee.

Mark

Of course you were there, so have a better perspective. From the photo it does look like an udder in front of the knee and not much other tackle. But if it's a youngster....

17 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Those are Polled Herefords.  The red is a little lighter than normal, so might be a cross with a Hereford, but body type looks right.  Just the red is a bit light.

Jill

Thank you Jill. I'll redo the caption etc.