Photoshop 2023 and Adobe Camera Raw 2023 Updates

If you haven't already, sign up for AdobeMAX and learn how to use the new goodies - tomorrow is the second day of the free virtual conference. I learned so much today. 

There are also some free programs for mobile/tablet and others that come with your CC subscription for the web and mobile as well as desktop. Like check out the LR Camera for your mobile phone - it gives you tons of control and then lets you edit on the fly. 

My favorite though is Fresco, a free iPad/tablet app (also for Windows desktops) that lets armchair illustrators like me make vector files without Illustrator and you can work in layers, paint with all sorts of brushes (I think like LR and PS for mobile, you get premium brushes if you have a CC subscription) and even make a grid with one click to let you draw in perspective. And you can make animations in it, too. I started using my first iPad in late August and I'm just blown away by what I can create in that simple but incredibly powerful program.

There's also a beta of Photoshop on the web I'm eager to explore. 

And the best thing they've said about their approach to AI (they apparently have some word engine you can use to add content to your own photos or illustrations)  is that they want it to empower creatives and not replace them. I didn't hear the entire keynote because I had an outside meeting during 2/3ds of it, but it was good to hear that Adobe is behind us and not trying to put us out of business. 

As usual also tons of bugs.

Keep your previous version just in case.

Don't do as I did. For the first time I had the delete the previous version ticked. Thinking it said keep the previous version. Or the other way around. Or un-ticked. Anyway just the opposite of what I normally do.

New Camera Raw froze within 20 seconds. Bridge can now use dual monitors. Yay! Something I've had for ages on Windows. And you guessed it: the new update messed it all up: Previews on the wrong monitor; the numeric keys won't work, meaning the arrow keys; page up and down; home and end won't work either. Luckily I don't have the bug where previews appear 4 or 5 times after closing. With me it's only two images in the same preview window. And it's slow. (Windows w 32Gb; Quadra w 8Gb; 2 Eizos).

wim

• Love 2

The only bug I found so far was with the new restoration filter. After processing a test image, it freaked out on me. I had to shut PS down using the task master and restart the program.

Other than that, everything seems fine.

(edit) *task manager🙄

Edited by Rico

Just now, Rico said:

The only bug I found so far was with the new restoration filter. After processing a test image, it freaked out on me. I had to shut PS down using the task master and restart the program.

Other than that, everything seems fine.

Camera Raw froze on me when I used the eyedropper. Then the same as you: shutting down in the task manager because nothing else would close either Raw or Photoshop. Not pleasant.

wim

6 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Camera Raw froze on me when I used the eyedropper. Then the same as you: shutting down in the task manager because nothing else would close either Raw or Photoshop. Not pleasant.

wim

Adobe is usually pretty good at fixing bugs. Hopefully it won't take too long to do that.

Photoshop already takes ages for me to start up.  A preferences thing I am told, and I have mega gb in patterns, so that slows it down.  Think I'll wait to update when all the bugs are fixed.  I spend a few hours a day in Photoshop, and have 3 big trade shows coming up, so don't need to deal with buggy software.

Jill

As far as the new restoration filter problem is concerned, I went to the Adobe community webpage to see if they had an answer.

They did. In PS uncheck the graphic processor box, shut down PS and restart it, then recheck the same box. Bingo!

3 hours ago, Rico said:

As far as the new restoration filter problem is concerned, I went to the Adobe community webpage to see if they had an answer.

They did. In PS uncheck the graphic processor box, shut down PS and restart it, then recheck the same box. Bingo!

At AdobeMAX when discussing various new items, they said just that - this way the various filters, etc. use the power of the Cloud to process. It takes a little longer but does a much better job. The example they showed was in cutting out the subject, a woman with long hair in motion against a very involved background. They ran the extract subject with the computer's graphics processor and without (I think there was a place to tick your choice when you used the process too), and the difference was pretty significant. They first was quite good but would still require clean up while the second was nearly perfect. 

For complex images, the longer way is prefered, though with simple things they said it wasn't necessary.

There is also now a way to use two photos to do things like removing a lamp post in front of a building - they showed a lamp post close in front of a very detailed Asian temple. By using a second photo taken just slightly to the side of the first, they replacement was significantly better given that the post covered an intricate roof for a long distance. Something to keep in mind when you're shooting and know you'll want to remove certain items.