Alamy > Latest Visual Trends > Fresh Picks

I suppose we all get these emails unless we've opted out, for those that have opted out today's email is promoting the latest visual trends on Alamy, namely:

Minimalism, Floral Fashion, Home Comforts, Analogue Aesthetic, Words in Pictures & Sustainability in the Home - see the visual trends page here

The strap line in the email is "Tailor your shoots - Share your creativity - Be Successful - Wherever you are in the world impress Alamy customers by creating a collection that reflects these trending topics".

For each of these you are directed to its own light box on the Fresh Picks page

As a contributor I must admit that I haven't really looked at the Fresh Picks, you see 12 initially and then have to click to see another 12, and then click again...etc.

I've done it so that you don't have to - there are 172 different Fresh Pick lightboxes!  

Compiling these light boxes is a lot of work so I'm intrigued as to how Alamy make use of them, surely no buyer is going to persevere and click through to see all 172, and then of course click into them to see the 100 or so images within. Randomly clicking on some of the images in 'Words in Pictures' brings up some 'Ultimate' images so I suppose that's going to be a factor. I also think that S images are going to feature quite strongly.

Edited by Harry Harrison

7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Compiling these light boxes is a lot of work so I'm intrigued as to how Alamy make use of them, surely no buyer is going to persevere and click through to see all 172, and then of course click into them to see the 100 or so images within. Randomly clicking on some of the images in 'Words in Pictures' brings up some 'Ultimate' images so I suppose that's going to be a factor. I also think that S images are going to feature quite strongly.

and if a buyer is intrigued by that collection in the 5th set, clicks to go see images, realise it's not really what they wanted, returns to home page, and it brings them back to the original 12 collections, and they need to click through again to get where they were

6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm a bit mystified by the term "visual trends." Are these images that people are licensing or just enjoying looking at (nothing wrong with that of course)?

Something they saw at a trade show for advertising media buyers?

32 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Something they saw at a trade show for advertising media buyers?

Could be. Hopefully it pays off.

Think I'll pass on "Floral Fashion," though. It's a bit late in the game to hang daisies in my white beard. 🧙‍♂️

11 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

....promoting the latest visual trends on Alamy, namely:

Minimalism, Floral Fashion, Home Comforts, Analogue Aesthetic, Words in Pictures & Sustainability in the Home

I look around me and I'd say that the trends are cost of living crisis, strikes, climate change and protests, government policy, the inhabitants of Numbers 10 and 11 Downing Street and fall-out from such. Is that not what Alamy do now? Maybe they should let us know so that we can go elsewhere.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

and if a buyer is intrigued by that collection in the 5th set, clicks to go see images, realise it's not really what they wanted, returns to home page, and it brings them back to the original 12 collections, and they need to click through again to get where they were

I hadn't done that myself but you're right of course. So Alamy have invested a great deal of time in creating 172 lightboxes to show off these Fresh Picks, containing well over 15,000 images and yet they failed to discover a fundamental obstacle that will probably prevent any picture researcher returning to them, something that took you a few minutes to discover. In my opinion it really needs an index page so that a researcher can see at a glance what is available and then go directly to it, returning again to the index page, perhaps an index is considered too dull for 'creatives'. I see at the top of the lightbox there is a green 'Add all items to cart' button, who is going to do that? 

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Avpics said:

I look around me and I'd say that the trends are cost of living crisis, strikes, climate change and protests, government policy, the inhabitants of Numbers 10 and 11 Downing Street and fall-out from such. Is that not what Alamy do now? Maybe they should let us know so that we can go elsewhere.

Well, I guess you could call those social and political trends, which Alamy has always excelled at covering. Now they obviously want to expand their horizons and promote other trends as well, which is understandable given the size and diversity of their collection. Just hope it works out... 🤞