Fuji XF 55-200 left side soft/misaligned ?

Has anyone experienced any softness/fringing on the left hand side of images with the XF 55-200?

It looks to me like some sort of optical misalignment as fine detail shows a sort of 'double image' as would occur in lens shake but the rest of the image is fine so I'm assuming a mechanical issue. 

Anyway I've sent mine back to Fuji today, but I'd be intrigued to know if anyone else has encountered this. Out of interest the camera I'm using is the X E1, but it's not the camera as the XF18-55 is fine.

..good job I've still got my Nikon kit.. 

Gary

I have not noticed any problems of that sort with the same combination. Someone, David K? did mention occasional probelms on various cameras of that sort due to image stabiliation, not noticed on any of mine.

BTW I sent my 55-200 back to Fuji and it was back with me in less than five working days. I suspected an AF problem , Fuji Support did not recognise the problem so suggested I sent it in. Sent it off Monday am, had it back Friday morning, with clear progress tracking. Don't really know what if any problem they found. Seems to be working but I have not used it much since. I hope you get same fast service.

Thanks for replying..

As I said it's been sent back today,  the overall image quality is not in question and by stopping down to f8/f11 I could possibly get away with it as its only about 10-15% of the frame coverage down the left hand side, and stopping down does seem to help,

I hope I get mine back as fast as Martin did..

Gary

Does the camera have a focal plane shutter?

Sounds like in camera vibration introduced by the abrupt stopping of the first shutter curtain when it gets to the end of it's run. The second closing curtain is still partially open and the vibration only shows up on the 10% part of the sensor that is still being exposed. Shows up at about 1/8 or 1/15 of a second.

Try a 10 second exposure with the camera on a sturdy tripod. At 10 seconds the short vibration introduced by the first curtain is so comparatively short, as to not register in the image.

Gary, I had that problem with a Nikon 24-85 zoom . . . every so often the left side of an image was out of focus. I still have the lens, never had it fixed, but it was that zoom that had the problem and not the D200 I was using at the time. 

Has anyone experienced any softness/fringing on the left hand side of images with the XF 55-200?

It looks to me like some sort of optical misalignment as fine detail shows a sort of 'double image' as would occur in lens shake but the rest of the image is fine so I'm assuming a mechanical issue. 

Anyway I've sent mine back to Fuji today, but I'd be intrigued to know if anyone else has encountered this. Out of interest the camera I'm using is the X E1, but it's not the camera as the XF18-55 is fine.

..good job I've still got my Nikon kit.. 

Gary

Fuji have just emailed me to say they have updated the firmware and are sending it back .. uh?

Firmware updates wouldn't make any difference to focusing, or would it ?

Gary

Sounds similar to mine. When I sent mine in it just said it had been serviced and the firmware updated (the X-E2 compatibility update, not relevant to my X-E1) and was operating to specification. If they had done anything it could easily be lost in the "serviced" statement.

The proof of the pudding is in the testing when you get it back.

Are you sending the camera body as well?

It might be worth sending them an image that shows the problem - on a cd and/or a print?

Sending the camera as well is an option but my  XE-1 is fine with the 18-55 so I think it is a lens issue.   If there are enough of you interested I'll post the images on my blog.

They didn't seem interested in seeing any files, actually I didn't think Fuji's technical dept were all  that helpful...  

Are you sending the camera body as well?

It might be worth sending them an image that shows the problem - on a cd and/or a print?

Sending the camera as well is an option but my  XE-1 is fine with the 18-55 so I think it is a lens issue.   If there are enough of you interested I'll post the images on my blog.

They didn't seem interested in seeing any files, actually I didn't think Fuji's technical dept were all  that helpful...  

That's certainly a hassle you can do without. You would think they would test it properly before returning it. Not very good.

I was contemplating buying the 55-200 for my X-Pro 1; thanks to the mixed opinions I won't bother; sorry Fuji you have lost my business especially with respect to:

actually I didn't think Fuji's technical dept were all  that helpful...

I was contemplating buying the 55-200 for my X-Pro 1; thanks to the mixed opinions I won't bother; sorry Fuji you have lost my business especially with respect to:

If you need the lens, buy one from a Camera shop and take it back if you're not happy with it. I've had no problems with my copy. It's just a shame about Gary's experience with the Tech department.

If you need the lens, buy one from a Camera shop and take it back if you're not happy with it. I've had no problems with my copy. It's just a shame about Gary's experience with the Tech department.

I buy all my gear from my local high street dealer. They are very helpful with everything.

Allan

Thanks everyone,

Here's a link to my blog where you can see what I'm on about;

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/fuji-xf-55-200-problem-firmware-o.html

Gary, I would say even the centre isn't that grand on the copy you have and the left side is far from acceptable. Something sadly wrong with it. I would push for a replacement if it's new.

I buy all my gear from my local high street dealer. They are very helpful with everything.

Allan

Same here. I try to make use of Jessops 30 day money back when ever I can. They happily take gear back within 30 days even if there is no fault. While I like buying stuff online, I prefer to buy my camera's etc in the shop. Helps keep them in business but also means I have an easy point of contact for problems/returns.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my 55-200 back, it's still the same, which isn't surprising as all they did was install a firmware update.

Anyway it's going back again and  Fuji's agreed to pay the carriage cost.

Gary

Fuji contacted me yesterday and are sending out a brand new replacement XF55-200 OIS,..

Gary

Just got my 55-200 back, it's still the same, which isn't surprising as all they did was install a firmware update.

Anyway it's going back again and  Fuji's agreed to pay the carriage cost.

Gary

Fuji contacted me yesterday and are sending out a brand new replacement XF55-200 OIS,..

Gary

Good news.... they should have done that first time... but at least they got there in the end. I would hate to be without mine, it's a terrific lens.

Archived