Thought I had a good sale

Got my first 'big' image sale @ $26.26, then I looked at my account.  Alamy commission 60%  $9.45, distributor commission 40% $10.50.   
Is that right, I get hardly anything from the sale ?
My last 2 sales were $1.91 and 80% commission of $1.53 taken. Barely seems worth it.

Hey Dave, yes that's right unfortunately. Distributor sales take a large chunk out of what you get. It sounds like you're in the Silver tier for commission if Alamy is taking 80%. I'm surprised then that they only took 60% from the distributor sale - but I guess it might be a pre-commission switchover sale.

I'm not sure many of us are just doing it for the money these days, with the drop in sale prices generally, but more as a hobby / sideline that brings in some income. I'd advise you to increase your portfolio size so you can hit the gold commission tier ($250 gross annually is the threshold). I'm not sure how typical I am in terms of sales and portfolio size, but as an example, I have approx. 4000 images and I'm on $1,293 gross so far this year.

Steve

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, Steve F said:

I'm not sure many of us are just doing it for the money these days,

Well, everybody else in the stock image industry is “doing it for the money”.

It's only the contributors who are now expected to provide top-quality images as some kind of hobby… 😕

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Well, everybody else in the stock image industry is “doing it for the money”.

It's only the contributors who are now expected to provide top-quality images as some kind of hobby… 😕

Truth! 

And that's why we ought to be complaining about the ridiculous low fees whenever they occur.

Phil

I'm not doing it for the money, have only been on stock sites just over a year. At the moment it gives me a reason to go out and something to concentrate on as I recover from long covid.
I enjoy taking photos and this just gives me another option on what to do with them.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, Dave Colman said:

I'm not doing it for the money, have only been on stock sites just over a year. At the moment it gives me a reason to go out and something to concentrate on as I recover from long covid.
I enjoy taking photos and this just gives me another option on what to do with them.

Something you might come to wish you'd kept to yourself. Most contributors here are working professionals, some with decades of experience,  whose livelihoods are being wrecked in no small part due to hobbyists like yourself happy to work for next to nothing.

Sorry but best to call a spade a spade. Stock photography is not therapy.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 8

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Something you might come to wish you'd kept to yourself. Most contributors here are working professionals, some with decades of experience,  whose livelihoods are being wrecked in no small part due to hobbyists like yourself happy to work for next to nothing.

Not happy to work for nothing hence the thread querying figures. As for wrecking peoples livelihoods, that's a bit dramatic considering I only started last year and from what I gauge in these forums money has been going down for years.
Stock photography may not be therapy for you and many others but it is for me at present due to my situation. I have spent many years in photography from retail management with Jessops to freelance and professional work. I know people on these forums that I sold camera equipment to and advised in the past. I think you will find I have helped more than I have hindered.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Though i understand where you are coming from, please do not dismiss any activities' therapeutic impact, and what works for each person. 

• Love 1
  • Like 7