New TV lincense type?

I wonder what new kind of sorcery this is? I frequently get TV usage licenses, mostly from news and current affairs related images. They usually pay ok. Not only is this one pretty low value, but it includes the following "license extension", which I don't recall spotting before:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 13 May 2022
End: 13 May 2032
Licence covers uplift extension to original licence to all media worldwide for 10 years

Gross Amount is $59.77

Anyone have any idea how I am meant to interpret that "uplift extension...to all media worldwide". Would this, in effect, mean they can use the image in print materials? (edited this bit out as client probably not News Corp)

Edited by imageplotter
  • Like 1

Isn't it saying that this has already been licensed and this is adding an extension to that original licence?

As you say 'all media' is very wide! Maybe they are going to make a book about the TV programme and publicise that in mags and newspapers....who knows!

• Like 1

Ok, that would make sense, it has sold for TV use before earlier this year, the original license was UK only for 5 years, and this is then an extension to worldwide for 10 years.  Phew. Thanks. I've had so many low value sales recently, and so many usages that haven't been reported yet that I am now suspicious of just about every license that shows up. I gues I am ill with "stock syndrom".  Seems a common disease now. 🙂

• Like 2

Ps. So yesterday, some time just after I had posted this, that very sale was promptly re-funded, and then re-sold for $ 59.24 (instead of the original $59.77). It's as if someone had read the post, and instead of responding, thought 'hey, I know what I can do, I can save the client a few more pennies, that's what I'll do, because f**k the photographer who has contributed for many years, who needs them anyway.'

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

Ps. So yesterday, some time just after I had posted this, that very sale was promptly re-funded, and then re-sold for $ 59.24 (instead of the original $59.77). It's as if someone had read the post, and instead of responding, thought 'hey, I know what I can do, I can save the client a few more pennies, that's what I'll do, because f**k the photographer who has contributed for many years, who needs them anyway.'

Or more likely, just a small change in the currency exchange rate between the two transactions...

Mark

• Like 1

Not seen this one before anyone else?

Usage: Editorial, Upday Monthly Allowance - 400 images - Upday personalised news app exclusive to Samsun
Media: Website, app and social media
Start: 19 May 2022
Duration: Unlimited

On 20/05/2022 at 16:13, Nigel Kirby said:

Not seen this one before anyone else?

Usage: Editorial, Upday Monthly Allowance - 400 images - Upday personalised news app exclusive to Samsun
Media: Website, app and social media
Start: 19 May 2022
Duration: Unlimited

What the heck is that about?

It used to be that a TV sale would net a good return. I got a headache following the sales and refunds for this one.

Start: 03 November 2021
End: 03 November 2026
5 years, Worldwide, All media (excl. theatrical)

Sale refunded - Original sale date (03 November 2021)$ -97.68

UK & Eire plus UKTV Services to the British Armed Forces Territory throughout the world All media; Licence covers multiple flashes per image during the series.

Sale refunded - Original sale date (08 November 2021)$ -47.78

5 years; UK & Eire plus UKTV Services to the British Armed Forces Territory throughout the world, All media

Sale refunded - Original sale date (09 November 2021)$ -40.96

5 years; UK & Eire plus UKTV Services to the British Armed Forces Territory throughout the world, All media

$ 40.96
$ 40.96
$ 47.78

$ 97.68