Unable to edit the portfolio

Etre

Question

Apart from support from Alamy that is non-existent (which consists of an automated email telling you to do what you have already done because I am not stupid)

I have the same question as other posts on here, none of which have been answered which is:

I go to my portfolio from my dashboard (which means I am logged in) but there are no links anywhere to edit anything. This to be an inherent fault that Alamy has no interest in addressing!

So as a newbie to Alamy, but not stock image sites its a score of minus 3 at the moment. 

13 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, Etre said:

Apart from support from Alamy that is non-existent (which consists of an automated email telling you to do what you have already done because I am not stupid)

Interesting, i always got direct replies from the support within one business days.  How long has it been? 

What specific question do you have?

You have read the pop up Help text on your Portfolio page? The one under get help setting up your page.

This is what it says:

Contributor Portfolio

Introduction:

You can now curate and share your Alamy image collection through your portfolio page. Your portfolio page will display your images and you can personalise it by adding a bio, profile photo and cover image.

How to share your portfolio:

You can share a link to your portfolio page by clicking on 'Share this portfolio' underneath your bio. The first time you share this you can personalise your URL, but once you've chosen your personalisation and shared the link you won't be able to change this again.

How to curate your first page:

Your first page will automatically be displayed with your most recent uploads at the top, but you can curate this.

You can move images around by using the 'drag and drop' feature and can move images to the top of the page by clicking 'move to top'. You'll find both features by hovering over the images with your mouse.

How to create galleries:

You can create a new gallery by clicking the '+' tab next to 'All Images'. To add images simply select 'curate gallery' which will bring up all images in your collection which you can search through and add by clicking 'add to gallery'.

Once you've added images to a gallery you can curate them how you would your first page.

How to share galleries:

Once you're in a gallery you can share a link to this by clicking on the 3 horizontal lines to the right of the gallery title and selecting 'share' from the dropdown menu.

This says it all actually as there is not much more that you can do with it.

BTW it does nothing for selling your images, it is just what it says: you can share it as a portfolio. AFAIK there is even no link from anywhere inside Alamy to link to it. You have to actively send a link out.

wim

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

What specific question do you have?

You have read the pop up Help text on your Portfolio page? The one under get help setting up your page.

This is what it says:

Contributor Portfolio

Introduction:

You can now curate and share your Alamy image collection through your portfolio page. Your portfolio page will display your images and you can personalise it by adding a bio, profile photo and cover image.

How to share your portfolio:

You can share a link to your portfolio page by clicking on 'Share this portfolio' underneath your bio. The first time you share this you can personalise your URL, but once you've chosen your personalisation and shared the link you won't be able to change this again.

How to curate your first page:

Your first page will automatically be displayed with your most recent uploads at the top, but you can curate this.

You can move images around by using the 'drag and drop' feature and can move images to the top of the page by clicking 'move to top'. You'll find both features by hovering over the images with your mouse.

How to create galleries:

You can create a new gallery by clicking the '+' tab next to 'All Images'. To add images simply select 'curate gallery' which will bring up all images in your collection which you can search through and add by clicking 'add to gallery'.

Once you've added images to a gallery you can curate them how you would your first page.

How to share galleries:

Once you're in a gallery you can share a link to this by clicking on the 3 horizontal lines to the right of the gallery title and selecting 'share' from the dropdown menu.

This says it all actually as there is not much more that you can do with it.

BTW it does nothing for selling your images, it is just what it says: you can share it as a portfolio. AFAIK there is even no link from anywhere inside Alamy to link to it. You have to actively send a link out.

wim

That's the point, all I get is what I assume visitors will see. I have no options/links to edit. I can download and pay for my own images which is why I know its the customer version. as stated I am clicking the link to my portfolio from my Dashboard, which is the only place my portfolio is mentioned. There are two links in the portfolio section of the dashboard and they both have the same result. No editing.. and I used to build websites for a living!!

If you are talking about the Portfolio feature rather than your overall collection, many people consider it to be another pointless gimmick that doesn't help with sales. Everything important can be done through the Alamy Image Manager button.

That depends on what your using the site and taking pictures for. Taking images for stock then just the Alamy Dashboard is standard, But to save uploading the same image multiple times, a portfolio of the same images you can point people to to show the standard of your work, if you are looking to do other photography, either for fun or money, the portfolio is a useful extra.

Edited by Etre

10 minutes ago, Etre said:

That depends on what your using the site and taking pictures for. Taking images for stock then just the Alamy Dashboard is standard, But to save uploading the same image multiple times, a portfolio of the same images you can point people to to show the standard of your work, if you are looking to do other photography, either for fun or money, the portfolio is a useful extra.

There are a couple of instructions as pdf's and some in the official blog. Navigating those is not easy. I simply use Google for that. As you have built websites, I won't need to show you how to search on just one site.

Something that's mostly missing nowadays is a humble function that's a carry-over -some will say a remnant- of the analog past: the lightbox.

(forum link)

This is from another old thread here on the forum:

(slightly edited)

The quickest way to create a lightbox:

If you click on the number next to your post, in your case Images: 20, you'll go to pages with just your images (there are other ways of course). On top there's a button + Lightboxes.

In the fly-out on the left click on Create a lightbox.

On the page that opens, click again op +Create.

In the pop-up box Create Lightbox, name your lightbox.

If you want to add a Project name, like a book or an article or a shoot, click on the pencil to edit. The same for Client or the Title of the lightbox.

This is now your current and active lightbox.

It will be listed in that fly-out. (On top of the others if you have more than one.)

Now if you go back to that page with all your images, hover over a thumbnail and click on the + plus sign to add that image to your active lightbox.

Note that it's also possible to add other people's images to your own lightbox. We have yet to discover the limit of how many images a lightbox can contain, so no worries there.

If you click on your active lightbox in the fly-out, you can alter the order by dragging the box containing the image to it's desired place. You can add a comment to each image  as well. You can select one or more images and delete them. Or buy them. Because at agencies lightboxes are usually meant for buyers.

Oh and there's a button for sharing in the upper left hand corner. If you need a link and don't want to use the share facility, just email it to yourself, and it will send you the link.

Maybe it's possible to share a selection of your portfolio from your portfolio page, but I have yet to find it.

hth

wim

I don't want a lightbox, I want to edit the portfolio. then I can put images on social media account with links (if you like this photo buy it here, and see more like it). 

1 hour ago, Etre said:

I don't want a lightbox, I want to edit the portfolio. then I can put images on social media account with links (if you like this photo buy it here, and see more like it). 

Although that method will lead potential customers to a portfolio of your images, if they click on one of your images (to see more details and price etc.) Alamy will then also show them other similar images from other contributors that are competing against yours....

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Etre said:

That's the point, all I get is what I assume visitors will see. I have no options/links to edit. I can download and pay for my own images which is why I know its the customer version. as stated I am clicking the link to my portfolio from my Dashboard, which is the only place my portfolio is mentioned. There are two links in the portfolio section of the dashboard and they both have the same result. No editing.. and I used to build websites for a living!!

Are you going to your portfolio by first going to "Additional Revenue Options" on your dashboard? A couple more clicks on portfolio and I get to the version I can edit. Reading your posts again I see you have tried both methods from your Dashboard. Hmmmmm. Does seem to mean you have to wait for a reply from contributors@alamy.com. They do answer properly after the auto-reply.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

7 hours ago, Etre said:

The set of instructions under Help is all you will need.

A bit concise perhaps, but it works.

However for what you want to do, I think you will need to use a lightbox as there is no nice way to link to a specific tab in your portfolio.

Think of the portfolio as something you will link to in your sig if you don't have a website.

Underneath the image on it's zoom page there are a couple of share buttons: Pinterest Facebook and Twitter. I never use them, but maybe someone else reading this may shine his/her light on the usefulness of those.

wim

On 13/04/2022 at 00:36, wiskerke said:

The set of instructions under Help is all you will need.

A bit concise perhaps, but it works.

However for what you want to do, I think you will need to use a lightbox as there is no nice way to link to a specific tab in your portfolio.

Think of the portfolio as something you will link to in your sig if you don't have a website.

Underneath the image on it's zoom page there are a couple of share buttons: Pinterest Facebook and Twitter. I never use them, but maybe someone else reading this may shine his/her light on the usefulness of those.

wim

UPDATE

The problems with the portfolio must have been a glitch.

Links do now work and the search boxes Search for an image and Search this gallery seem to be working again too.

You have to go there through your dashboard to get the cleanest entrance.
Now the link to your portfolio you can create is using the Share this portfolio button.
To create a link to a sub-gallery, open one or create a new one. There's a hamburger menu on the tab. Click it and there are: Share; Rename; Delete.
Share will get you something like: https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/wimwiskerke/greatesthits.html

While I still like lightboxes for certain tasks, the link to a gallery or to the portfolio (=your whole collection) is certainly a great feature.

wim

5 hours ago, Carolannne said:

I am also having an issue with updating the Cover Image, Bio bit of the Portfolio page? I cannot see any edit options? Any clues about this?

You have to be logged in and you will have to go there through your dashboard. Make sure you do not click the View as public button.

wim