Can I indulge the group again about the slide scanning issue...

I'm new to Alamy and part of my eventual submission will be several hundred 35mm slide images, though they will have to be scanned/copied.  I've had a few scanned in the past and included a few in a recent submission.  At least one got QC'd out -- or all of them.   Don't know.  My non-scanned images have all gotten through QC. 

These slides were razor sharp and saturated to begin with, shot with Zeiss glass on Kodachrome 25 and Velvia, and the scans were presumably high res.  But grain (noise) is definitely apparent.  Hence, that is why, I believe, people seem to be opting for camera-based copying vs. scans.   So my questions are:

1) Is there now an accepted or more commonly-used slide copying device or product that can be used across camera lines? (I have Sony mirrorless)

2) Are there companies that have been able to produce 35mm slide scans that will meet Alamy QC predictably?

3) Are there companies that can do the camera-based copying that people are talking about?    I'd rather have someone do it, frankly.

Thanks for all responses.

There is a lot about scanning and copying on the forum- try searching for it- but IMO the answer is no, to all three. The amount I, for one, would want to charge for scanning would make it unviable for the returns here and the discussion here has been about DIY.

If they are of some historical interest, rather than just old, you can apply for archival privileges and bypass QC. My archival collection does substantially outperform my main one. But it is very small, and of course I scanned them myself..

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Millvale1 said:

1) Is there now an accepted or more commonly-used slide copying device or product that can be used across camera lines? (I have Sony mirrorless)

2) Are there companies that have been able to produce 35mm slide scans that will meet Alamy QC predictably?

3) Are there companies that can do the camera-based copying that people are talking about?    I'd rather have someone do it, frankly.

There is a huge thread about this subject from 2 years back but there are so many posts it might be difficult to find the relevant information.

The answer to 1 is a definite YES. The Nikon ES-1 and ES-2 copying devices can be used on other brands of camera. Depending on the lens used, it might be necessary to add various extenders in front of or behind the lens. With some skilled post-production then it is definitely possible to meet Alamy QC standards. GIven that you say your originals are razor sharp then I would think it would not be a problem. The Nikon devices make life very simple in comparison to some of the home-made solutions that have been discussed here. An alternative is to use a copying rail setup but it is not necessary for 35mm. If one shoots raw, then there is far more leeway for dealing with grain and dynamic range issues. It is amazing what can be recovered from highlights and shadows with a quality sensor.

I don't know the answer to 2. In relation to 3, I don't know about companies but a few of us have discussed the idea on here of doing it for others for a charge. However, it never got past the idea stage and the estimates of how long it would take and how much to charge would probably vary wildly. 

Edited by MDM

15 hours ago, Millvale1 said:

I'm new to Alamy and part of my eventual submission will be several hundred 35mm slide images, though they will have to be scanned/copied.  I've had a few scanned in the past and included a few in a recent submission.  At least one got QC'd out -- or all of them.   Don't know.  My non-scanned images have all gotten through QC. 

These slides were razor sharp and saturated to begin with, shot with Zeiss glass on Kodachrome 25 and Velvia, and the scans were presumably high res.  But grain (noise) is definitely apparent.  Hence, that is why, I believe, people seem to be opting for camera-based copying vs. scans.   So my questions are:

1) I use an ES1 amd ES2 on my Canon 5D Mk 3 with a 100mm macro lens 

2) In my opinion the best route would be to try and submit through the Archive route which bypasses QC - contact Alamy to tell them what you have

3) There are scanning services. The actually copying is fast and easy, but then you have to do the dust busting ( or at least I choose to do that thoroughly) and other post processing.  

It depends on how salaeable your slides are but I think you would struggle to make it economically worthwhile if you aren't prepared to do the work yourself. 

But then again if you have to buy copying lenses etc and only have a realtivley small number of slides it might be better to pay somebody.

Edited by geogphotos

15 hours ago, Millvale1 said:

How much are you prepared to pay?

Will they need cleaning first?

Do you want straight "as is" RAW format copies and you'll do any post processing (tonal adjustments, scratch removal, dust spotting etc.?)

Mark

If recommendations are to be made I will of course mention the Illumitran on which I have copied about 6000 images now. But if the OP is really averse to DIY it's probably not the way to go- cheap 'Trans usually need some fettling, and for some reason a lot of the ones now offered on ebay have the columns missing, which is a bit like buying a chair with no legs.

Incidentally, one of them has, by the look of the dust, recently had the column removed. Most odd.

Edited by spacecadet

4 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

How much are you prepared to pay?

Will they need cleaning first?

Do you want straight "as is" RAW format copies and you'll do any post processing (tonal adjustments, scratch removal, dust spotting etc.?)

Mark

Well, I'm not sure what what's practical cost-wise in terms of the numbers of slides I have.   I would probably just edit the collection down to the more important ones relative to price-per-slide.    They wouldn't need cleaning and RAW would be fine, as I can do all the post processing.

56 minutes ago, Millvale1 said:

Well, I'm not sure what what's practical cost-wise in terms of the numbers of slides I have.   I would probably just edit the collection down to the more important ones relative to price-per-slide.    They wouldn't need cleaning and RAW would be fine, as I can do all the post processing.

Am I right to assume you are based in Canada? If so there would be an inherent risk involved in sending unique slides to England and back, and there is also the risk of any damage occurring during the copying process. In addition, I think it would be very important for anyone taking on such work for monetary gain to ensure that they were legallly watertight. It's not something I would do without getting it sorted out properly beforehand but it is an interesting topic of conversation here.

To be honest, given that you are obviously an experienced photographer, you might be wise to consider doing the copying yourself as it is not difficult and not terribly expensive if you have a decent camera, 1:1 macro lens and tripod. The cost of the ES-1 new from Nikon was about £80 (I don't think they are making this anymore but it is available cheaper on eBay) and the ES-2 is still available -  about £175 new. You might need a few bits of cheap cylindrical plastic if the lens won't focus close enough. If you don't have a suitable lens, the cost would rise obviously but there are possibilities with older manual Nikon lenses that can be adapted for Sony.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, MDM said:

Am I right to assume you are based in Canada? If so there would be an inherent risk involved in sending unique slides to England and back, and there is also the risk of any damage occurring during the copying process. In addition, I think it would be very important for anyone taking on such work for monetary gain to ensure that they were legallly watertight. It's not something I would do without getting it sorted out properly beforehand but it is an interesting topic of conversation here.

To be honest, given that you are obviously an experienced photographer, you might be wise to consider doing the copying yourself as it is not difficult and not terribly expensive if you have a decent camera, 1:1 macro lens and tripod. The cost of the ES-1 new from Nikon was about £80 (I don't think they are making this anymore but it is available cheaper on eBay) and the ES-2 is still available -  about £175 new. You might need a few bits of cheap cylindrical plastic if the lens won't focus close enough. If you don't have a suitable lens, the cost would rise obviously but there are possibilities with older manual Nikon lenses that can be adapted for Sony.

I'm based in the US (Massachusetts).   I think your point about doing copying myself is well taken and that's the view of others here.  Thanks to yours and other's comments I'm more educated about this and working on buying what I need.  I appreciate your taking the time to respond!